BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Towing - brake controller, weight distribution

09-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #23
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Yamaha jet boat? I love those things. We recently departed ways with ours to get an offshore fishing boat. The jet boat’s weight isn’t as much as you generally think. AR240 is about 3600 dry so maybe 4000 with fuel and gear. Add 1000 for a trailer and they are around a 5000 tow. That’s one reason we had one.

One reason we got the X7 is to pull our bigger boat. It’s 6500 loaded and dwarfs the X7. I’ll post a pic later. I haven’t yet pulled at speed yet as I need to lower the tongue weight a little.
We've been towing our boat (about 6500lbs including the 1200lb trailer) without a brake controller and have towed it over the Sierra's from Sacramento to Tahoe. The trailer has disk brakes on both Axles and our X7 has the M package with M-Sport brakes.

It tows great, stops fine and went down a 6% grade with no issues that I could tell. Is there any advantage/necessity to getting a brake controller at this point?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
plumcrazy
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Yup, love the jetboat! Here are some pics of the cables.

Full towing review of 7000lb RV (6200 dry)

I have the Curt Echo brake controller, worked great on 8 hours round trip driving. Does seem like slight delay from pressing break until RV/camper pulls, but works fine.

I have a Furrion observation camera on back of RV. Would go on for a sec, off for 3, continous loop -worked perfectly with my f150. called furrion - they said german cars put out like 10 volts not the full 12. so they sent me a prototype cable (you can see in pic), fixed the problem - and also felt like brakes more responsive too

towing under 50 mph was awesome, engine quite, tons of pull, great stopping power, no sway, was really nice - better than f150 v8. towing at 65MPH - wasn't a big fan. lots of sway, when car/truck flies by faster would drift a lot, definatley can't just chill while driving. using 9 chain lenghts on the weight distribution hitch.

going to do closer camping trips more often - if longer ones, may rent a F250/2500 truck to pull the camper.

again per my previous post, towing 4500/5000 lb boat - was awesome, better than truck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Thanks for the additional info! I have a few follow-on questions...

1. Regarding the sway you encountered at 65 MPH, does your WDH setup also include sway control? The WDH setup I currently use with my Ford Expedition EL has built-in sway control and I have been able to tow at 70+ MPH with no sway issues. Granted, my trailer/car setup is an open trailer so my setup would be less affected by wind resistance/cross winds from faster cars/trucks passing me on the highway.

2. I looked up that brake controller you have - pretty slick plug-n-play design and much better than the old school design I have installed in my current SUV (I currently have an older Tekonsha digital brake controller installed and it is physically installed under the dash on the driver side, close to my left leg - my SUV came pre-wired from the factory). However, is the X7 pre-wired in a similar fashion?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 09-04-2019 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #26
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewX7 View Post
We've been towing our boat (about 6500lbs including the 1200lb trailer) without a brake controller and have towed it over the Sierra's from Sacramento to Tahoe. The trailer has disk brakes on both Axles and our X7 has the M package with M-Sport brakes.

It tows great, stops fine and went down a 6% grade with no issues that I could tell. Is there any advantage/necessity to getting a brake controller at this point?
Pretty sure your boat trailer has surge brakes. If that's so, then there's no need for a controller.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #27
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
Loaded up the 6200 lb dry camper today with weight distribution hitch (WDH) - lowered pretty far, but then air suspension leveled out. I actually need to lower the WDH a notch, actually sits a little higher than my F150 hitch did.

Early driving impressions (10 min non-highway drive)... Pull was fine, braking was fine (using curt echo smart brake controller). My Furrion rear camera on camper doesn't stay on though, keeps flashing on and off - not sure if X7 or Curt Echo Smart issue - need to research.

On bumpy roads, you do feel its back there, but doesn't seem too bad.

I'll report back after 3 hour drive this weekend...
I have tried 3 different (apparently updated Prodigy Brake Controllers according to the manufacturer) with no success. Simply won't Pair.

Found this curt echo, and glad to see is working for you. I'm going to order one and just give up on the wireless Prodigy.

Our Furrion observation camera doesn't work either. Cant even get it to connect. I'm assuming either the X7 has window treatments that block the signal or the gesture control infrared is blocking the signal. Did you ever get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #28
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Plumcrazy - your trailer appears to be nose up. Maybe this is just the way the photo was taken, but tongue should be either level or a bit nose down. I am towing 33 ft Jayco (28DSBH) with X5. I am using ProPride WDH. I have standard suspension. Absolutely pleasure to tow. It is already over 20k towing miles and always smile on my face when going to relax in the wilderness.

X7 is potentially the replacement for my X5d. I was wondering whether 40i would be up for the task with my 7,000-7,300 lbs trailer.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #29
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Hi Bono, I think you helped me get my x5 configured for towing a few years ago. Awesome to see that you're still towing with your x5! You still getting weird looks from the truckers? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #30
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, looks from some truckers are priceless. Some are friendly, some are aggressive (and clueless). I got used to this.

I would really like to test X7 for towing. If there would be a diesel version in the US, I would drive it already. I am afraid that 40i would be too small and I cannot mentally spend $100k plus for a car Therefore, I am towing with $10k car!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #31
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Yep, looks from some truckers are priceless. Some are friendly, some are aggressive (and clueless). I got used to this.

I would really like to test X7 for towing. If there would be a diesel version in the US, I would drive it already. I am afraid that 40i would be too small and I cannot mentally spend $100k plus for a car Therefore, I am towing with $10k car!
What is the towing capacity of your X5d? The towing capacity of the X7 either in 6 cyl form (40i) or 8 cyl form (M50i/50i) is the same at 7500 lbs. Your trailer is already pushing that limit based on the weight you stated - and I am assuming that weight is your fully loaded weight. And when you take into account the additional weight you may cary in your SUV (people, luggage, gear, etc), which is supposed to be included when calculating how much you should tow, you could easily exceed the factory tow limit of 7500 lbs, even if only by a little.

All that being said (and I may be preaching to the choir here), it does not mean you can't tow your rig with the X7 successfully or safely - especially when using a WDH and anti-sway equipment, which you appear to be using with your X5d setup. Car manufacturers always have engineering tolerances built into their designs and the towing capacity is no different. I don't know what the engineering tolerances are for the towing capability, but you will definitely be eating into them with your rig. Which of course means if you have an issue that could be associated with towing your "large" rig, either warranty (from BMW) or accident (from your insurance company), you may be on your own. I like your idea of doing an X7 test drive with your tow rig, I considered doing one myself. But admittedly I would be shocked if the dealer would let you do it given the size and weight of your rig.

FWIW, I have a 40i and plan to tow my ~6000# rig which is a car (my current M3) on a steel, open deck trailer with built in tire rack (seen below hooked up to my now replaced Ford Expedition EL, older & lighter car, and before tire rack install). Incidentally, my old Expedition, with a 5.4L V8 has a rated towing capacity of 9000#, with a less powerful motor compared to my X7 40i. Also, while the power/torque of the N63 V8 engine in the M50i/50i may feel intoxicating and fun, if you are in it to keep your X7 for the long haul, I would recommend you stick with the 40i as the BMW 6 cyl engines have a much better longevity, maintenance and reliability history compared to the V8's over the years (and you can get a handsomely equipped 40i for around a MSRP of $85k too .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #32
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Towing capacity of E70 X5 35d worldwide was 7,700 lbs which was derated to 6,000 lbs for North America, due to the hitch. My hitch is reinforced, in particular, for use of WDH (you can google “canam rv reinforcement”). I do not want get into the discussion about litigation, insurance, etc. All valid points, but I have this researched and I am happy with the conclusions.

My trailer is 6,400 lbs dry.

I am aware of BMW towing ratings (X7 is rated to 7,700 lbs for the rest of the world, by the way). It’s not about the ratings – I test drove 40i and 50i (in G05 though). I got addicted to diesel torque and I am not big fan of how 40i drives, in particular, in low revs. 50i was a monster during the test drive. Price is one issue and the range is another issue. I am wondering what range you can get when towing with 40i/50i. I am getting 14-16 mpg when towing with diesel, i.e. can easily plan driving 250-300 miles between going to the gas station.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #33
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Towing capacity of E70 X5 35d worldwide was 7,700 lbs which was derated to 6,000 lbs for North America, due to the hitch. My hitch is reinforced, in particular, for use of WDH (you can google "canam rv reinforcement"). I do not want get into the discussion about litigation, insurance, etc. All valid points, but I have this researched and I am happy with the conclusions.

My trailer is 6,400 lbs dry.

I am aware of BMW towing ratings (X7 is rated to 7,700 lbs for the rest of the world, by the way). It's not about the ratings – I test drove 40i and 50i (in G05 though). I got addicted to diesel torque and I am not big fan of how 40i drives, in particular, in low revs. 50i was a monster during the test drive. Price is one issue and the range is another issue. I am wondering what range you can get when towing with 40i/50i. I am getting 14-16 mpg when towing with diesel, i.e. can easily plan driving 250-300 miles between going to the gas station.
Oh, just like you, I am not one to worry too much about warranty/litigation stuff when it comes how I choose to modify or use my cars. When it comes to braking (or bending) the rules, I just make sure I thoroughly understand them first in order to make an informed decision - and I could tell you are similar minded based on your rig setup ). On more than one occasion, I have "bent" the rules with what I choose to do with my cars (as many car enthusiast do)...

My comments were more for those who may be less informed or have less experience with pushing the limits of a new car, especially an expensive one like the X7. Hell, technically my rig will push the tongue weight limit of the X7, but I already know how to deal with that to ensure a pleasant and safe towing experience.... I would speculate that your towing experience with an X7 and your rig setup would be a good one (regardless of engine choice).

One additional recommendation, for you if you decide to go with the X7, regardless of engine choice, is to stick with the factory hitch. The factory hitch on the X7 is so integrated with the X7 electronics and suspension, the possibility of a degraded towing experience with an aftermarket hitch seems like it would be high (although I have no personal experience with an aftermarket hitch on the X7).

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #34
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup, love the jetboat! Here are some pics of the cables.

Full towing review of 7000lb RV (6200 dry)

I have the Curt Echo brake controller, worked great on 8 hours round trip driving. Does seem like slight delay from pressing break until RV/camper pulls, but works fine.

I have a Furrion observation camera on back of RV. Would go on for a sec, off for 3, continous loop -worked perfectly with my f150. called furrion - they said german cars put out like 10 volts not the full 12. so they sent me a prototype cable (you can see in pic), fixed the problem - and also felt like brakes more responsive too

towing under 50 mph was awesome, engine quite, tons of pull, great stopping power, no sway, was really nice - better than f150 v8. towing at 65MPH - wasn't a big fan. lots of sway, when car/truck flies by faster would drift a lot, definatley can't just chill while driving. using 9 chain lenghts on the weight distribution hitch.

going to do closer camping trips more often - if longer ones, may rent a F250/2500 truck to pull the camper.

again per my previous post, towing 4500/5000 lb boat - was awesome, better than truck.
Between the Curt Controller, and the Furrion adapter, I will have a foot of length before the actual 7 pin plugs in. Do you see any issue with turning and the trailer hitting all that extension?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #35
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Yes, tow package is no-brainer for $550. At the same time, I understand the only difference with a tow package (apart from the hitch) are M-sport brakes in the back. Therefore, if you have M-sport brakes and add hitch, I do not expect any major issues. I expect simple coding plus OEM harness will enable all towing features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
(...)
One additional recommendation, for you if you decide to go with the X7, regardless of engine choice, is to stick with the factory hitch. The factory hitch on the X7 is so integrated with the X7 electronics and suspension, the possibility of a degraded towing experience with an aftermarket hitch seems like it would be high (although I have no personal experience with an aftermarket hitch on the X7).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #36
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, tow package is no-brainer for $550. At the same time, I understand the only difference with a tow package (apart from the hitch) are M-sport brakes in the back. Therefore, if you have M-sport brakes and add hitch, I do not expect any major issues. I expect simple coding plus OEM harness will enable all towing features.
Well, the coding scene for the X7 (or even it's more popular sibling the G05 X5) is not that big yet (but is growing) so I don't think the coding for an aftermarket trailer would be that simple to find (at least right now, but I have not looked for it) - unless you plan on diving into the coding yourself. However, there is an OEM trailer retrofit kit that dealers should be able to install now (it is available according to online parts catalogs). The catch is that a dealer installed tow package has a lower tow rating than the factory installed one (and requires a new lower bumper). But at least all of the required coding will be factory correct:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_1119

For me a factory hitch was a must have option. Factory hitches are not the most common option on dealer inventory X7's, especially on an X7 with M-Sport package - but they are out there if you don't want to order a vehicle....

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #37
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'll be ordering my X7 with the BMW trailer hitch. Yes, you lose the foot motion control to open the trunk, but I'd find the trailer capability useful. I sometimes tow my Polaris Ranger side-by-side UTV on a small specialty flatbed trailer, to go offroad 4-wheeling.

Personally, I think I'd only order the BMW trailer hitch. When you start getting to advanced SAV vehicles like the X5 and X7, with adaptable air suspension, DHP, IAS, etc, I'd be afraid of messing up something with the suspension or chassis, towing with an aftermarket hitch. (not to mention, your point about the X7 not being on a truck chassis) Now, that's just my own fear--there might be nothing at all special about the BMW hitch, or no problem putting on an aftermarket hitch, but I'm not going to chance it. I can't remember what class the BMW towing hitch is, though.

The X7 is prewired for a brake controller, and has the plug built into the trailer hitch. I wouldn't buy a BMW OEM brake controller, though. They have been using a previous model controller from another company (Prodigy if I remember right) and just slapping a BMW label on it. Might as well buy a new, full-featured current controller model from somebody else.

If anyone does start towing with the X7, I'd love to see your brake controller install, and pics of towing with your rig! Make this an X7 towing thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'll be ordering my X7 with the BMW trailer hitch. Yes, you lose the foot motion control to open the trunk, but I'd find the trailer capability useful. I sometimes tow my Polaris Ranger side-by-side UTV on a small specialty flatbed trailer, to go offroad 4-wheeling.

Personally, I think I'd only order the BMW trailer hitch. When you start getting to advanced SAV vehicles like the X5 and X7, with adaptable air suspension, DHP, IAS, etc, I'd be afraid of messing up something with the suspension or chassis, towing with an aftermarket hitch. (not to mention, your point about the X7 not being on a truck chassis) Now, that's just my own fear--there might be nothing at all special about the BMW hitch, or no problem putting on an aftermarket hitch, but I'm not going to chance it. I can't remember what class the BMW towing hitch is, though.

The X7 is prewired for a brake controller, and has the plug built into the trailer hitch. I wouldn't buy a BMW OEM brake controller, though. They have been using a previous model controller from another company (Prodigy if I remember right) and just slapping a BMW label on it. Might as well buy a new, full-featured current controller model from somebody else.

If anyone does start towing with the X7, I'd love to see your brake controller install, and pics of towing with your rig! Make this an X7 towing thread.
I ordered my X7 with the factory fitted trailer hitch and the foot motion to open the trunk works.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #38
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Not US spec, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
I ordered my X7 with the factory fitted trailer hitch and the foot motion to open the trunk works.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:16 AM   #39
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Not US spec, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
Correct. UK spec
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #40
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

I’ve towed with an X5, i6 vs v8 and the 6 is good below 65mph. Once you hit 70 or steep hills, the i6 and 8 speed starts to work. But it is totally doable.

Maxed out i35...with brake controller.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NCG6famCFR3B4nXx7

https://www.towuniverse.com/tekonsha...xoCmpEQAvD_BwE

If you need to tow long distances, highway speed 70+, have any hills at 55mph, get the v8 or be ok having the i6/trannywork - which I wouldn’t be afraid of. I was more comfortable with the 8 but was it worth the $$$ for the 6 times a year I used it, hard to say. What I would say, the 8 was more fun more times exponentially throughout the year, just not towing.

Last edited by bjcarls; 05-10-2020 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #41
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Loaded up the 6200 lb dry camper today with weight distribution hitch (WDH) - lowered pretty far, but then air suspension leveled out. I actually need to lower the WDH a notch, actually sits a little higher than my F150 hitch did.

Early driving impressions (10 min non-highway drive)... Pull was fine, braking was fine (using curt echo smart brake controller). My Furrion rear camera on camper doesn't stay on though, keeps flashing on and off - not sure if X7 or Curt Echo Smart issue - need to research.

On bumpy roads, you do feel its back there, but doesn't seem too bad.

I'll report back after 3 hour drive this weekend...
plumcrazy , I am about to adjust my trailer (an open deck car trailer) to fit my X7, specifically the shank height for my WDH system as my previous Ford Expedition was lifted a bit. I went online and found various procedures about how to adjust the shank height, however, none of the ones I found really addressed making adjustments on vehicles with air suspensions like the X7. Based on the adjustment info I could find, the common recommendation seems to be to set the shank height slightly higher than the height of the trailer (and the trailer is supposed to be level with the ground). This is presumably to account for the fact that when the trailer is loaded, the back of the SUV will dip a bit due to the tongue weight of the trailer. If set at the proper height, the SUV and trailer will be level when fully loaded.

I was going to follow this basic methodology when adjusting the shank height on my WDH - but my previous Expedition did not have air suspension. And given your experience with the air suspension of the X7, and the real world load leveling capability you experienced, I was wondering if you had any additional thoughts on this adjustment process.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #42
SRL311U
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G07

X7 Towing

I will say the X7 tows well. I was coming from a Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L. Stability is much better on the X7, but the "feel" of the trailer is not as isolated from the passengers. Unlike many of you with electric brakes, this is an about 7,000 lbs saltwater boat set up with surge brakes (24' Scout). I run light on tongue weight as a product of the size of the motor hanging off the back.

Thus, you get some of "slide forward" and "slide backwards" as the surge brakes actuate. This feeling was much more pronounced on the X7. That said, the motor was very good (have the I6) and stayed low in the RPMs except at acceleration.

It was a surprisingly capable tow platform. I only noted two issues: (i) get ready for serious brake dust. I have the M brake setup on advice of the dealership for heaving towing. Brakes did great but produce a veritable cloud of dust after long towing. (ii) understand how to deactivate the safety systems. First, the X7 will prevent you from backing up to a trailer hitch until you disable rear-end collision. Second, when you are backing into the water, you have to disable collision avoidance so that the X7 does not detect either the hitch (if you unplug your electrics to dunk) or the water-line at the boat ramp.

Overall, I was tremendously impressed while towing a heavy rig.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #43
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally grabbed the camper out of storage.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #44
BdleyHT
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 40i, X5 35d

This has been a helpful discussion thread. It's given me the confidence to try towing a 23ft airstream with my new x7 40i. The trailer is 6,000 GVW and estimated 700 lbs hitch wait, but seems like with a WDH I think I should be fine. Am I crazy? I have the factory installed hitch and m brakes. The manual says 600 lbs for hitch wait. I ordered the Curt echo wireless brake controller.

I also have a 2011 x5 d, which I've only used to tow a light hobie cat, but it sounds like it's pretty capable of towing more based on this discussion thread. It doesn't have the air suspension so I imagine I need to be careful with hitch weight for it.
Appreciate 0