BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rusty Rotors...

03-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Rusty Rotors...

With the new bolt pattern and offsets I am not sure what will work but does anyone on here know of an OEM rotor that is drilled or slotted that isn't affected by the rust & corrosion our "M-Sport" rotors have?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I’ve had this on every BMW I’ve owned.
I don’t recall if my Zimmerman rotors, which were coated, still had the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I did not experience this on any of the newer true ///M products but I did have it on ones with standard rotors and in some cases (this being one of them) on the M-Performance rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
With the new bolt pattern and offsets I am not sure what will work but does anyone on here know of an OEM rotor that is drilled or slotted that isn't affected by the rust & corrosion our "M-Sport" rotors have?
I live in MN and do not experience rusty rotors so far car was purchased in August.
Perhaps the fact that I have heated garage makes a difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
I did not experience this on any of the newer true ///M products but I did have it on ones with standard rotors and in some cases (this being one of them) on the M-Performance rotors.
My car was sitting in the garage for a period of time after a wash and I was blessed with the "bronze" rotors. Gone after a drive and braking. Is your rust sticking around?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

yes, it is on the hats not the disc itself. my vehicles are always garaged but we have a place in the mountains where they treat the roads with a brine, salt and sand mixture during autumn through winter and it destroys these rotors. i have about 2500 miles on the car but the rotors look like they're 25k miles old. on the flip side the real ///M rotors i have or had on other cars never once changed color or were effected. same with carbon ceramic sets. while this does not effect functionality it certainly doesn't look appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
same here. it isn't from sitting it is from the elements.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yes, it is on the hats not the disc itself. my vehicles are always garaged but we have a place in the mountains where they treat the roads with a brine, salt and sand mixture during autumn through winter and it destroys these rotors. i have about 2500 miles on the car but the rotors look like they're 25k miles old. on the flip side the real ///M rotors i have or had on other cars never once changed color or were effected. same with carbon ceramic sets. while this does not effect functionality it certainly doesn't look appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
same here. it isn't from sitting it is from the elements.
Hmm I have the M50i I know it is not the real full M but I have not observers anything strange in MN winters are real and they put a lot of stuff on the road we have 4K miles and rotors looks great.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

What I mean by "real ///M" is not the M-Performance or M-Sport bits but the floating rotor style:

That is the rotor from one of my X5M in the past and had four times the amount of mileage and a much worse winter. Hardly any wear or signs of corrosion.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What I mean by "real ///M" is not the M-Performance or M-Sport bits but the floating rotor style:

That is the rotor from one of my X5M in the past and had four times the amount of mileage and a much worse winter. Hardly any wear or signs of corrosion.

Here is my rotor on the X7 M50i with winter set I do not see any issues unless I am missing something? This is from wheel
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      03-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

We have the same set up but clearly different condition. Yours look much cleaner and do not show any signs of corrosion or discoloration.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We have the same set up but clearly different condition. Yours look much cleaner and do not show any signs of corrosion or discoloration.
Correct, now when I zoomed on your picture I see what you mean, mine might have some break dust but I have not seen corrosion, is it possible that MN puts something else on the roads than yours? Or indeed you might have some issue there, the back wheels are very clean as no break dust is present.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

That is what I am trying to figure out here but only a couple of people have chimed in... So either I am alone on this, or others don't care about the rust on theirs or don't have the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is what I am trying to figure out here but only a couple of people have chimed in... So either I am alone on this, or others don't care about the rust on theirs or don't have the issue.
I've got the same 21" wheels. I do have some stuff on the hats as well. I'll take some pictures when I pull the car out today to compare.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      03-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

@iconoclast I've got some of the same. Have you been able to get it off with any type of solution (brake cleaner, etc.)?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      03-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Nope. It has eaten into the silver finish and through it. The only option I can think of is painting it silver again but it will probably occur again.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #16
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Try this every time you wash your car. Works very well.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...rust-inhibitor
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I will purchase a bottle of it. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #18
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey guys, I thought I would bump this thread with some info regarding my recent experience with the rusty rotor issue. When I recently took delivery of my X7, I also noticed some corrosion on the rotor hats, specifically the rear rotors, similar to the pics posted (would not have even thought to look were it not for this thread). While disappointed, as this was clearly a manufacturing defect in my eyes as this type of corrosion protection has been around forever, it actually did not bother me that much so I was going to just live with it. While my X7 was at the dealer recently to address another issue, I mentioned the rotor issue to my SA to get his thoughts about it and what he has seen.

The SA did mention that the dealer has seen this issue pop up on other new vehicles. He even mentioned that one customer in particular refused to take delivery of his X7 unless the rotors were replaced. Apparently, that customer in particular elevated the issue up to BMW NA, and was finally able to get them replaced under warranty (or technically a "good will" repair). The SA took a few pics of my rotors and offered to talk to BMW NA to see if anything could be done (and I was not complaining or even looking for a replacement, just having a conversation about the rusty rotor issue).

As luck would have it, BMW NA approved my repair/replacement and I got a new set of rear rotors as a good will repair/replacement. I will speculate that BMW has not "officially" acknowledged this manufacturing defect issue (or else there would be a recall/warranty repair of some sort issued). But it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there is a manufacturing defect issue from the brake rotor supplier and this is one (of many) way to gather data about the issue. All rotor hats will eventually show corrosion over time and use, especially in harsh climates. But my X7, new from the lot, had similar amounts of rotor hat corrosion as my wife's 2013 X3 with the original factory rotors (and 70k+ miles) - so something is definitely amiss. Time will tell if any type of "premature" rotor hat corrosion will occur again. As a point of reference, my front rotors have no corrosion on the hats, which is what I would expect on a new vehicle (or new rotors newly installed) with low mileage.

So YMMV as I am sure this is not official policy. But if you have a good relationship with your SA, it does not hurt to ask....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 05-14-2020 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
Heimdall136.50
      05-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #19
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Thank you very much for the update!

I will attempt to do the same and see if I can get the F95 rotors squeezed in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Hey guys, I thought I would bump this thread with some info regarding my recent experience with the rusty rotor issue. When I recently took delivery of my X7, I also noticed some corrosion on the rotor hats, specifically the rear rotors, similar to the pics posted (would not have even thought to look were it not for this thread). While disappointed, as this was clearly a manufacturing defect in my eyes as this type of corrosion protection has been around forever, it actually did not bother me that much so I was going to just live with it. While my X7 was at the dealer recently to address another issue, I mentioned the rotor issue to my SA to get his thoughts about it and what he has seen.

The SA did mention that the dealer has seen this issue pop up on other new vehicles. He even mentioned that one customer in particular refused to take delivery of his X7 unless the rotors were replaced. Apparently, that customer in particular elevated the issue up to BMW NA, and was finally able to get them replaced under warranty (or technically a "good will" repair). The SA took a few pics of my rotors and offered to talk to BMW NA to see if anything could be done (and I was not complaining or even looking for a replacement, just having a conversation about the rusty rotor issue).

As luck would have it, BMW NA approved my repair/replacement and I got a new set of rear rotors as a good will repair/replacement. I will speculate that BMW has not "officially" acknowledged this manufacturing defect issue (or else there would be a recall/warranty repair of some sort issued). But it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there is a manufacturing defect issue from the brake rotor supplier and this is one (of many) way to gather data about the issue. All rotor hats will eventually show corrosion over time and use, especially in harsh climates. But my X7, new from the lot, had similar amounts of rotor hat corrosion as my wife's 2013 X3 with the original factory rotors (and 70k+ miles) - so something is definitely amiss. Time will tell if any type of "premature" rotor hat corrosion will occur again. As a point of reference, my front rotors have no corrosion on the hats, which is what I would expect on a new vehicle (or new rotors newly installed) with low mileage.

So YMMV as I am sure this is not official policy. But if you have a good relationship with your SA, it does not hurt to ask....
VERY interesting, thanks! My car is going in next week, so I'm going to bring this up. I've got rust on all 4 hats. I'll report my experience back.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      06-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #21
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

@iconoclast just got my car back from the dealership. In a nutshell, they gave me the party line (BMW warranty does't cover rust on the rotors ...), but I pushed back a bit. They agreed to sand all four rotors and apply a clear "protective coating" to stop future rusting. I agreed to give that shot before escalating to BMWNA (they picked up the tab). So far, so good - looks great. I'll let you know how it holds up over time.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      06-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #22
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Excellent. Thanks for the update. I am due for service and will mention the rust. Let's see where this song and dance takes us.
Appreciate 0