BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package.

04-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #23
houstontx
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I live in Houston where we have mild winters and there is no need for the cold weather package, so I thought.

I just discovered my X7 does not have AC vents in the third row, WTF!!! I was under the false impression that if you did not get the 5 zone climate control the temp in the third row would default to the second row, I never would have thought BMW would have deleted the vents!!Even an entry level Tahoe, that is half the price of an X7, has vents in the third row. Hell every 3 row SUV I know of has vent for the third row.

I am not happy about this I live in Houston were we have brutal summers that average 95-100 deg F. I researched the hell out of this car and this is not clear in any documentation. The only saving grace I have is that I have captain chairs that will allow some air to get to the third row via the center console vents. If you have the bench seat without the cold weather package you are screwed.

Overall I am still happy with the X7 but we will just have to see how this summer goes and if my third row passengers complain or not.
I from HOU TX as well as thought about I'd never need cold weather package but after reading this post I immediately modified my order! Thank you
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #24
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
sounds like a dumb decision on BMW's part..., yes it costs, but at least built a vent without separate control
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #25
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
One thing I always tell my clients: Never Assume when it comes to BMW.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #26
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
They should make this clear. At a minimum they should offer 5 zone climate control outside the CWP for customers in warm weather climates and clearly state that this adds vents in the rear seat.

I can understand not having vents on a 3row x5 because the third row is an afterthought but on a true 3 Row SUV like the X7 this inexcusable.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
BMW does need better descriptions of their packages, especially on the build site.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #28
Animal Farm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30/Volvo XC90II T6

Quote:
I live in Houston where we have mild winters and there is no need for the cold weather package, so I thought.

I just discovered my X7 does not have AC vents in the third row, WTF!!! I was under the false impression that if you did not get the 5 zone climate control the temp in the third row would default to the second row, I never would have thought BMW would have deleted the vents!!Even an entry level Tahoe, that is half the price of an X7, has vents in the third row. Hell every 3 row SUV I know of has vent for the third row.

I am not happy about this I live in Houston were we have brutal summers that average 95-100 deg F. I researched the hell out of this car and this is not clear in any documentation. The only saving grace I have is that I have captain chairs that will allow some air to get to the third row via the center console vents. If you have the bench seat without the cold weather package you are screwed.

Overall I am still happy with the X7 but we will just have to see how this summer goes and if my third row passengers complain or not.
Sadly this has been a complain amount luxury SUV owners for some time now. This was one of the reasons why we decided to purchase the Volvo XC90 over its competitors. I didn't even think this was an option for a vehicles with 3rd row seating, luckily we test drove the infinity QX60 first which had no vents. After searching for awhile we decided to ask the sales rep where the 3rd row vents were, he had no idea.

Volvo XC90 - Vents are standard, four zone climate control optional.
Audi Q7 - No 3rd row vent. The older models do have vents.
Infinity XC60 - No 3rd row vent, however, you have USB ports. I think the older models have vents.
Acura MDX - No 3rd row vent, however, you have USB ports... Maybe to plug in a fan
Land Rover Discovery - Optional
Lexus GX460 - Vents are standard, three zone climate control optional
BMW X5 (F15) - Vents with the optional 3rd row.

I am not sure about other vehicles.

I simply don't understand why this is an optional item; most 3rd row are so small that only children can fit comfortably back there...

Needless to say this is bullish*t! I can't imagine how pissed you must be after spending so much money, only to find out after the fact that you don't have what should have been standard equipment.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #29
Animal Farm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30/Volvo XC90II T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
A little insensitive; maybe you should send BMW NA an email stating that your clients are unhappy with the lack of 3rd row vents in a standard 3rd vehicle.

Air suspension is standard but not air vents.

Nothing personal against you but your disclaimer does not sit well with me.
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I think all vehicles in the NE come w/ the package as a default, including mine. Regardless, I make sure to always take it for obvious reasons.

I find it pretty ridiculous that the vents don't come without it!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #31
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
They should make this clear. At a minimum they should offer 5 zone climate control outside the CWP for customers in warm weather climates and clearly state that this adds vents in the rear seat.

I can understand not having vents on a 3row x5 because the third row is an afterthought but on a true 3 Row SUV like the X7 this inexcusable.
Completely valid point. BMW is marketing the X7 as a true full 3 row SUV, putting leather, lighting accents, etc, into the 3rd row. The 3rd row is standard, not an option. Normal ventilation for the 3rd row should be standard as well.

If BMW wants to add additional things for the 3rd row, like heated seats in the CWP, then great. But I agree, for a true 3 row car, all 3 rows should be at a minimum, normally ventilated.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #32
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Completely valid point. BMW is marketing the X7 as a true full 3 row SUV, putting leather, lighting accents, etc, into the 3rd row. The 3rd row is standard, not an option. Normal ventilation for the 3rd row should be standard as well.

If BMW wants to add additional things for the 3rd row, like heated seats in the CWP, then great. But I agree, for a true 3 row car, all 3 rows should be at a minimum, normally ventilated.
I completely agree as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
The only reason we got the Cold Weather package... we live in Florida, it's very rarely "cold", but wanted the climate control ability of A/C in all three rows.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
Blackpoint
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Third Row Ventilation

Recently bought a new X7 in NH and fortunately picked up on the fact you need to order the CWP for rear ventilation ducts. This is extremely important for us as we have two large dogs who ride back there all the time. Winters are in Florida so we really need AC back there.
Right after picking the car up we couldn’t get the rear ventilation to work. Checking the owners manual it turns out the rear seats have to be up for the third row ventilation to work???????
What idiot engineer came up with this idea?? I called our Sales guy and he had no idea about this- nor did any body at the dealership.
The Service Manager put in a request to BMW to see if there is an over ride. The response was “ that’s just the way it is”
I am rip shit - never would have bought the car if I’d known about this.
Has anybody found a way to over ride this crazy system????
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
KRS_SN13106.00
      08-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #35
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpoint View Post
... rear seats have to be up for the third row ventilation to work???????
Agreed. Many things about the X7 are great, but this one is truly a head-scratcher.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #36
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpoint View Post
Recently bought a new X7 in NH and fortunately picked up on the fact you need to order the CWP for rear ventilation ducts. This is extremely important for us as we have two large dogs who ride back there all the time. Winters are in Florida so we really need AC back there.
Right after picking the car up we couldn’t get the rear ventilation to work. Checking the owners manual it turns out the rear seats have to be up for the third row ventilation to work???????
What idiot engineer came up with this idea?? I called our Sales guy and he had no idea about this- nor did any body at the dealership.
The Service Manager put in a request to BMW to see if there is an over ride. The response was “ that’s just the way it is”
I am rip shit - never would have bought the car if I’d known about this.
Has anybody found a way to over ride this crazy system????
Someone over engineered cleverness...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #37
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear this. Apparently the BMW engineers figured, "nobody would have use for 3rd row ventilation with the 3rd row down".

I wonder if you could deep dive into the system, and find a way to override the seat sensors, so they always thought the seats were up?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #38
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear this. Apparently the BMW engineers figured, "nobody would have use for 3rd row ventilation with the 3rd row down".

I wonder if you could deep dive into the system, and find a way to override the seat sensors, so they always thought the seats were up?
I've been looking and haven't found any coding yet unfortunately
      08-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #39
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
I've been looking and haven't found any coding yet unfortunately
Yeah, that was my first thought. 2nd option would be to physically find the sensors and jam them. I'm guessing this would interfere with the motorized functions, though, of raising and lowering the seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

I noticed that there are vents under the third row sits, I have the cold weather package but I was wondering if those are also out in yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #41
M3422c
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes s550

Does anybody know if the climate control (air conditioning) works in the third row if one side is up and the other down? If it does, does it make a difference which side?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #42
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Quote:

This was an absolutely mind-boggling decision on BMW's part. We regularly drive 4+ hour trips with our dogs in the back, behind the 2nd row seats, or even with all the seats fully flat. Not letting you use the vents that the car came with is just infuriating on BMWs part, not to mention the multitude of other built-in "Nanny" features like tailgate not opening from inside when a trailer is attached, seats stopping then freezing for minutes after hitting resistance or an object, windows not opening/closing on auto when doors are open, no tailgate close button from inside, constantly reverting to "Comfort" mode every time you drive the car, etc... You would think with all the fuss they make with "MYBMW" as part of the iDrive system, they'd let you customize your own damn vehicle any way you want and turn all that Nanny crap off!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #43
BMWFAN123456789
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5, 430xi convertible

5 zone now a separate option

Not sure if this was available when this was last posted but BMW x7 has 5 zone climate control as a separate option. You don’t need the CWP if you don’t want the heated seats etc as well.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #44
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsardar View Post
Quote:

Do you have 4NN?
No I only got the standard 4 zone climate control but like I have stated before most cars with multi zone climate control have vents through out the car.
My 2013 Mercedes GL450 didn't come with third row vents but the third row glass used to open a bit for air circulation in hot weather. My 2017 GLS550 came standard with third row climate control which is still a option in GLS450. Personally it didn't make much of a difference for Northeast weather except few weeks of extreme hot weather. I usually did remote starts when temperatures were extremes!
Appreciate 0