BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Dreamer2
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC40, MB SLK

Must Have or Do Without

So when looking at buying the X3 there are things that I'm on the fence about as far as options and packages. Are these things that really needed or are they just nice to have or are they truly unnecessary or ....? So let me throw a few out there:
Premium Tier or Executive Tier? Of the seven things the Executive tier adds, only headlights and the instrument panel are anything that interest me and I'm not sure they are necessary. (And if I understand correctly, if you don't get the executive tier and you don't pick the parking assistant, you don't get a back up cam?)
Leather or Sensatec? More durable? Too Stiff? Cheap?
Driving Assistance Plus? Most cars on the lots have at least the regular driving assistance pack. The Active Cruise Control is the only thing that intrigues me in the plus package. Lot's of driving aids or interference otherwise (not sure if they are truly a good thing)
Dynamic Damper Control? I read that many who have it says it makes a difference. Is it considerably noticeable or is it just a bit nicer or are people trying to justify the extra $1000 laid out for it. So, must have or no?
I'm on the fence about the sound system but over the years I've come to the conclusion that road and car noise negate any real quality you can get out of a super premium sound system. So outside of that, I'm just trying to figure out what's really great to have or what I could probably do without. Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

Last edited by Dreamer2; 03-12-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2 View Post
So when looking at buying the X3 there are things that I'm on the fence about as far as options and packages. Are these things that really needed or are they just nice to have or are they truly unnecessary or ....? So let me throw a few out there:
Premium Tier or Executive Tier? Of the seven things the Executive tier adds, only headlights and the instrument panel are anything that interest me and I'm not sure they are necessary.
Driving Assistance Plus? Most cars on the lots have at least the regular driving assistance pack. The Active Cruise Control is the only thing that intrigues me in the plus package. Lot's of driving aids or interference otherwise (not sure if they are truly a good thing)
Dynamic Damper Control? I read that many who have it says it makes a difference. Is it considerably noticeable or is it just a bit nicer or are people trying to justify the extra $1000 laid out for it. So, must have or no?
I'm on the fence about the sound system but over the years I've come to the conclusion that road and car noise negate any real quality you can get out of a super premium sound system. So outside of that, I'm just trying to figure out what's really great to have or what I could probably do without. Thanks in advance for anyone's input.
Personally, I wouldn't order an X3 without Driving Assistance and Driving Assistance Plus. Cross traffic accident avoidance + lane keeping assist (especially for the additional feedback when you're turning and someone sneaks into your blind spot) are good, and worth the cost. Adaptive cruise is a bonus for me, but it works very well in stop and go.

Dynamic damper is impressive. I test drove an M40i with adaptive dampers and 21" wheels over rough pavement and was impressed by the ride. Feels even smooth with 19" wheels. I'd get this.

Think heads up display and Icon headlights are excellent. Fully digital dash is unremarkable.

I bought the upgraded sound system, and it certainly sounds significantly better than the base system, but I also agree with your general assessment and do not think it sounds anywhere close to as good as the speakers sitting in my house that I bought off of craigslist for $400. I'm not going to sit in my car just to listen to this system. Definitely not a must have.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
dbm2645
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp xDrive

I "checked all the boxes" on my build. The biggest disappointment is the HUD.
Impossible to see with polarized sunglasses, no daytime/nighttime auto adjustment. The instrument panel lacks a digital speed display (aside from sport mode). My 3/4 ton chevy truck has a better display for showing actual speed vs the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Sandblaster
Rep
Drives: X3

Gotta disagree here. The HUD is probably one of the best features of this car. There are many customizations, including brightness levels via iDrive. I would consider this a must have for sure.
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Premium Tier or Executive Tier? Of the seven things the Executive tier adds, only headlights and the instrument panel are anything that interest me and I'm not sure they are necessary. (And if I understand correctly, if you don't get the executive tier and you don't pick the parking assistant, you don't get a back up cam?)
These can all be tough questions to differentiate between "must haves" and "wants". If you are trying to decide to DDC or not, then you must be looking at a 30i. You can go for a heavily optioned 30i or a lightly optioned M40i for just about the same price. What's your starting point and where is your budget? Equally optioned, they are about $4-5K apart in price. Last thread like this one, the OP ended up test driving and getting an M40i.

IMO, bare minimum "must haves":

M40i
Alpine White
19" 698M with performance RFTs
Black SensaTec
Aluminum Rhombicle Trim
Premium Package $2,950
Adaptive M Suspension $700
Wireless Charging / WiFi $500
DESTINATION + HANDLING $995
MSRP $59,645

30i
M Sport Design $5,300
Premium Tier
Premium Package $3,300
Alpine White
19" 698M with performance RFTs
Black SensaTec
Aluminum Rhombicle Trim
Dynamic Damper Control $1,000
Park Distance Control $750
Wireless Charging / WiFi $500
DESTINATION + HANDLING $995
MSRP $54,495

In the end, I checked all the boxes. It helps knowing where your starting point is and what is the most important feature you want from your X3.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Dreamer2
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC40, MB SLK

Personally, I would love to go m40i. But I’m not the only owner and my fear is the rumbling exhaust might be a drawback for her. I understand from reading that some say it’s not bad in eco or comfort mode. But there are those who disagree. I just need it to be semi-quiet when cruising at 70 mph. So thinking probably going in a 30i direction with a few options. Although I saw one dealership offering their higher end X3s at $4000-5000 off MSRP. That may make it hard to pass up the m40i. I dunno. I’ve got issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I'm a big proponent of Driving Assistance Plus. It's 2018 and drivers are, unfortunately, distracted everywhere you go. Why not have the highest level of safety for you and your loved ones? Better yet - why even spend $50K on a vehicle and not get the best available safety features when many other cars have the same features for half the cost?
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Personally, I would love to go m40i. But I’m not the only owner and my fear is the rumbling exhaust might be a drawback for her. I understand from reading that some say it’s not bad in eco or comfort mode. But there are those who disagree. I just need it to be semi-quiet when cruising at 70 mph. So thinking probably going in a 30i direction with a few options. Although I saw one dealership offering their higher end X3s at $4000-5000 off MSRP. That may make it hard to pass up the m40i. I dunno. I’ve got issues.
I have a 30i being built this week that listed at $54870 but sold at $46900 (dealer discount plus BMW FS, loyalty and BMWCCA rebates). That's 15% off MSRP.

For that price, the car has ZCV, ZDA, ZDB, ZPK, ZPP, 6CP and a bauble here or there. I'll VO code 6NS when I get the car -- and save $500.

This will be the daily driver of a person who has to get to work at a hospital in all weather (and this year in New England, crappy isn't the word for the weather). I bought convenience (heated seats/steering wheel) for her; toys (CarPlay; Harman-Kardon audio) for me; safety for both of us.

The remarkable thing is that configured this way, the options added approximately $11225 (26%!) to the price of the car.

If you read the Consumer Reports' review of the car -- or watch it on YouTube -- you'll see they are spot on in criticizing BMW for only making full speed emergency braking available in the very expensive ZDB (which pre-reqs both ZDA and ZPP).

Bottom line: it's hard not to check all the boxes. If you want safety, you're "half-pregnant" and feel compelled to go all the way.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
CrzyChris5
CrzyChris5
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm2645 View Post
Impossible to see with polarized sunglasses, no daytime/nighttime auto adjustment. The instrument panel lacks a digital speed display (aside from sport mode). My 3/4 ton chevy truck has a better display for showing actual speed vs the speed limit.
My X4 M40i has the HUD. I love it. I havent tried this, but i read that if you go to HUD settings in iDrive and use the "tilt" function, it will allow you to see the HUD with polarized glasses because its all about the line of sight. Try that and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would go premium tier to get Navigation and HUD. For safety get at least Drivers Assistance Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Quote:
Personally, I would love to go m40i. But I'm not the only owner and my fear is the rumbling exhaust might be a drawback for her. I understand from reading that some say it's not bad in eco or comfort mode. But there are those who disagree. I just need it to be semi-quiet when cruising at 70 mph. So thinking probably going in a 30i direction with a few options. Although I saw one dealership offering their higher end X3s at $4000-5000 off MSRP. That may make it hard to pass up the m40i. I dunno. I've got issues.
I have a 30i being built this week that listed at $54870 but sold at $46900 (dealer discount plus BMW FS, loyalty and BMWCCA rebates). That's 15% off MSRP.

For that price, the car has ZCV, ZDA, ZDB, ZPK, ZPP, 6CP and a bauble here or there. I'll VO code 6NS when I get the car -- and save $500.

This will be the daily driver of a person who has to get to work at a hospital in all weather (and this year in New England, crappy isn't the word for the weather). I bought convenience (heated seats/steering wheel) for her; toys (CarPlay; Harman-Kardon audio) for me; safety for both of us.

The remarkable thing is that configured this way, the options added approximately $11225 (26%!) to the price of the car.

If you read the Consumer Reports' review of the car -- or watch it on YouTube -- you'll see they are spot on in criticizing BMW for only making full speed emergency braking available in the very expensive ZDB (which pre-reqs both ZDA and ZPP).

Bottom line: it's hard not to check all the boxes. If you want safety, you're "half-pregnant" and feel compelled to go all the way.
Impressive deal. I'm going to consult with you next time I buy a car.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
The X3 is packaged a bit different in Canada. I went with the ultimate package which seems to include almost everything

These are the features I love the most.

HUD and the ability to scroll thru presets, phone calls without taking your eyes off the road.

Driver assistance plus and whatever provides the 360 view not sure if it's driver assist plus or park assist plus

Harman Kardon sound
Panaramic roof

Ambient lighting

I think I'll like the ventilated seats come summer love the heated seats and steering wheel for winter

Comfort access

Sensatec dash/leather seats/ heated and recline rear seats

Storage option is nice

Adaptive leds are neat

Things that came with my package that I would not bother with:

Display key (you lose a regular fob by going with the display key. It's bulky, very little range for precondition function)

Ambient air
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

For me the must haves are:
- B58
- Adaptive suspension
- 4 piston front brakes (wish the rears were 2 piston fixed)
- leather sport seats
- navigation
- comfort access (spoiled with it now)

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm2645 View Post
disagree with this completely.. it's fully adjustable. it's clear, crisp display and it serves multiple functions...radio, nav, speed, driving assistance settings.... the HUD literally shows MPH in any mode and also the current legal speed limit on that road so it is easy to see. I'm not sure what this comment above was about.

Quote:
I'll make it very simple for you. get every option you can afford. always. it will never hurt you in the long run...unless you're already breaking the budget.

I was using the acc today and I did not have to even touch the brake or the gas to stay with traffic in cruise or stop and go. simple click of a steering wheel button. it's incredibly easy and stress free to use. never thought it would be this convenient or I'd use it. I also hardly had to touch the steering wheel to drive in the highway 20+ miles. it's not a tesla autopilot mode, don't get me wrong, but it is impressive....

the h&k stereo can without a doubt, over power and reduce any road noise or exhaust noise you might be worried about. it's easily one of the best I've heard for this type of vehicle. it's not a burmester but it's damn good. I wouldn't pass up the h&k.....

I bought the 40i, but I wouldn't pass up the adaptive suspension had I went with the 30i. if your sacrificing the engine for the boss, then at least get some suspension upgrades....

get the leather. you'll be happier you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyChris5 View Post
My X4 M40i has the HUD. I love it. I havent tried this, but i read that if you go to HUD settings in iDrive and use the "tilt" function, it will allow you to see the HUD with polarized glasses because its all about the line of sight. Try that and see if it works.
I agree. the hud is a great part of this vehicle. I never understand any hate about it when I see it...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

I don't like new electronic speedometer, I like more conventional analog with no stupid screens.
I also don't understand how BMW can't programe that when you have automatic gearbox in D that on screen doesn't show which gear are you in, only D. That's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #16
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I wouldn't own one without a backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #17
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
360/top down view camera was a requirement for me. My F25 35i has it as part of Nav/Tech package, 360 backup camera is a must. actually on F25 its 270 both sides and rear) but works great. 30i or M40i, it makes parallel parking and back in parking so easy. requires Exec package in US. they got me there.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #18
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
I don't like new electronic speedometer, I like more conventional analog with no stupid screens.
Well, you'd better get used to it.... It will be hard to find analog instrument in a few years time.

I personally love the full digital instrument. The screen is very high res, and the animation is very smooth. At least one advantage is that with previous analog instrument, it is hard to tell if the car is stopped (in stop/start) or the engine is off. With the new digital screen, it is very clear and easy to tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...by-2018-223739

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
360/top down view camera was a requirement for me. My F25 35i has it as part of Nav/Tech package, 360 backup camera is a must. actually on F25 its 270 both sides and rear) but works great. 30i or M40i, it makes parallel parking and back in parking so easy. requires Exec package in US. they got me there.
agree. I didn't know what it was until I test drove, but when I saw it....I NEEDED it.

even the gimmicky hand gestures for it work perfectly for me and I like to show it off and watch people go
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #20
Gudus
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, mini SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
I also don't understand how BMW can't programe that when you have automatic gearbox in D that on screen doesn't show which gear are you in, only D. That's ridiculous.
Change to M/S even if not using paddle shift and you will see the gear on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #21
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Backup camera standard on all vehicles by 2018, but the 360/top down camera is not - and its an add-on even with G01 via Exec package in US.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudus View Post
Change to M/S even if not using paddle shift and you will see the gear on the screen.
But I think that if I do that then rpms are much higher because gearbox is in sport mode.
Appreciate 0