BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I'm intrigued to find this out as well. I just ordered up this exhaust....ooooh titanium sexiness .

good daym what happened to the agency power
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #24
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
good daym what happened to the agency power
I still have it and love it, but caved in on a great deal on this one. I have issues bro...I'm in and out of exhausts like a mad man .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I still have it and love it, but caved in on a great deal on this one. I have issues bro...I'm in and out of exhausts like a mad man .
Look forward to your review since you have had pretty much every exhaust I think I have considered.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Swamp, I think it's safe to say that there is at least some drone on every aftermarket system because it's even present with the heavy and relatively quiet OEM exhaust. The better questions are (1) where in the rpm range does the drone occur, and (2) how loud is it?

Without objective testing, getting any real answers to these questions is virtually impossible because every person has different ears, tastes and perspectives and because many aftermarket exhaust purchasers want to justify their $2k+ choice to themselves and to others.
I think there is some truth to this, however, but I basically disagree. Those familiar with any really bad droning system and with a stock system that basically has no drone can make a somewhat objective/quantitative observation of how bad or tolerable a given system might be. Sure it is not perfect but if most here on this forum agreed a particular system had little to no drone, I very well might buy that system without hearing it.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
shiblanor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3 JetBlk DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think there is some truth to this, however, but I basically disagree. Those familiar with any really bad droning system and with a stock system that basically has no drone can make a somewhat objective/quantitative observation of how bad or tolerable a given system might be. Sure it is not perfect but if most here on this forum agreed a particular system had little to no drone, I very well might buy that system without hearing it.
Well so i don't think there's any question that there's a drone based on the definition you've given. I'd place it in the range of 1700-2200 rpm. How loud it is or whether it's acceptable is the subjective part, right? It's loudest when the engine is cold. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but it's definitely noticeable and can over shadow the radio a little in that rpm range if you've got the volume at a moderate level. You don't have to be thinking about it to know it's there. I can't say i ever noticed any drone with the stock system.
Appreciate 0