BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Extended Warranties opinion- BMW vs CNA vs Allstate

03-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Extended Warranties opinion- BMW vs CNA vs Allstate

Looking for feedback from users who have had any of these company’s extended warranties. We’d get the BMW Platiunm or CNA preferred plus or the Allstate Complete Protection. Curious about claims making experience (easy/hard- initial decline of coverage, having to get multiple quotes or second opinions etc), issues with coverage (ie- thought something fell into a category and turned out was not covered) and general ease of use. Note that I’d likely bring the vehicle back to a BMW service dept for the work to be performed. I know we can buy this later, though also know we’ll forget to (and beleive that the prices will go up).

I’m combing through flyers the dealer sent through on each- though hard to know what exactly to look for and what things mean ‘exactly’ with respect to what’s covered and what’s not etc.

Will also ask about pricing. The coverage will be for a 2023 X740i, we plan to own for 10 years+ and use 5-7k a year.

CNA Preferred Plus- 120 mos/70k miles- $5,200 ($0 deductible as long as I bring it to the dealer I bought it from… though have dealers much closer that I may use instead and have not heard back if that will incur the $200 deductible or not)

BMW Platinum- 84 mos/75k miles- 0 deductible- $6,700

Allstate Complete Protection- 84 mos/Unlimited miles $0 deductible $2,734

Finally- have folks been able to negotiate a decent price on CarePlus packages? We tend to burn through breaks on our current SUV, suspect same will happen with X7. They offered 84/mos/125 at $6,649- which is ‘msrp’ online as well as the initial extended basic maintence for $899. Curious if others are getting deals on theses and if so, what they are.

Appreciate the help and insights on all these questions!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I've heard good things about CNA, but I have not personally used them. Usually am against extended warranties, but with the X7, I made an exception as I have never in my life owned a BMW for so many years beyond it's original warranty. I owned many MBenz and always found extended warranties to be useless in 99% of the times, but am just like you, a bit conservatives with BMW so I got one.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7190.00
      03-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I've heard good things about CNA, but I have not personally used them. Usually am against extended warranties, but with the X7, I made an exception as I have never in my life owned a BMW for so many years beyond it's original warranty. I owned many MBenz and always found extended warranties to be useless in 99% of the times, but am just like you, a bit conservatives with BMW so I got one.
Thanks for the feedback. Helpful. Still trying to compare coverages and am impressed that CNA’s top offering says it’s easier to list the 19 things NOT covered (basic west and tear items). It seems extremely comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Helpful. Still trying to compare coverages and am impressed that CNA’s top offering says it’s easier to list the 19 things NOT covered (basic west and tear items). It seems extremely comprehensive.
This is called an "exclusionary" warranty --> and this is exactly the warranty you really want. Anything else would basically give the warranty provider a chance to always decline a claim from time to time.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7190.00
      03-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #5
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
Looking for feedback from users who have had any of these company’s extended warranties. We’d get the BMW Platiunm or CNA preferred plus or the Allstate Complete Protection. Curious about claims making experience (easy/hard- initial decline of coverage, having to get multiple quotes or second opinions etc), issues with coverage (ie- thought something fell into a category and turned out was not covered) and general ease of use. Note that I’d likely bring the vehicle back to a BMW service dept for the work to be performed. I know we can buy this later, though also know we’ll forget to (and beleive that the prices will go up).

I’m combing through flyers the dealer sent through on each- though hard to know what exactly to look for and what things mean ‘exactly’ with respect to what’s covered and what’s not etc.

Will also ask about pricing. The coverage will be for a 2023 X740i, we plan to own for 10 years+ and use 5-7k a year.

CNA Preferred Plus- 120 mos/70k miles- $5,200 ($0 deductible as long as I bring it to the dealer I bought it from… though have dealers much closer that I may use instead and have not heard back if that will incur the $200 deductible or not)

BMW Platinum- 84 mos/75k miles- 0 deductible- $6,700

Allstate Complete Protection- 84 mos/Unlimited miles $0 deductible $2,734

Finally- have folks been able to negotiate a decent price on CarePlus packages? We tend to burn through breaks on our current SUV, suspect same will happen with X7. They offered 84/mos/125 at $6,649- which is ‘msrp’ online as well as the initial extended basic maintence for [...]
Hey I never considered an extended warranty is any good so far but after reading lot of X7 LCI issues I’m considering to buy one. I understand I don’t need to buy right now but just wanted to do some research!
Can you please provide me more details on CNA and Allstate warranty plans please. I mean URLs!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:07 AM   #6
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

Do these warranties cover batteries? Specifically the 48 volt lithium one for the "mild hybrid" system? It is pretty expensive. I can't find a price since they are all still under warranty, but the 12 volt lithium used in '19 and '20 is $1200.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:45 AM   #7
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
Hey I never considered an extended warranty is any good so far but after reading lot of X7 LCI issues I’m considering to buy one. I understand I don’t need to buy right now but just wanted to do some research!
Can you please provide me more details on CNA and Allstate warranty plans please. I mean URLs!!
They sent me PDFs explaining them. I have not read a specific contract on either. Here is a link to a brochure similar to what I received (suspect the link is a little outdated). That said, the box of ‘this is what it doesn’t cover’ is what caught my attention; good marketing. I still need to look at each individual item in the list to get a sense for what is actually covered. From an initial scanning of items covered, it seems it might cover the 48v lithium battery. It also seems to cover the struts and much of the suspension. I’ve seen a few folks talk about air suspension issues and not all of it being covered by BMW extended warranty.

https://www.cnanational.com/brochure-vsc-9226

The Allstate plan is effectively wheels, tires, glass, interior (up to 2 inch holes), and keys. I’ll look later to see if i can find this brochure on line. Living in Chicago and having lost a couple of tires to potholes, I am leaning towards a yes on this ($2,400 for 84 months, unlimited miles). Need to understand a few more details before absolutely pulling the trigger though.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
Here is the link to the Allstate product they are offering. The are offering the platinum plus (includes alloy wheel touch ups) 7yrs for about 2,700.

https://vehicleprotection.allstate.c...ete-protection
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2heeldrive View Post
Do these warranties cover batteries? Specifically the 48 volt lithium one for the "mild hybrid" system? It is pretty expensive. I can't find a price since they are all still under warranty, but the 12 volt lithium used in '19 and '20 is $1200.
Is that battery covered under the emissions warranty? Since it affects the emissions system?

I really wish there was a part list for everything covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty and the CA Emissions Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2heeldrive View Post
Spoke with a BMW Finance person this afternoon to learn more about what these all cover. I was informed that the hybrid battery comes with an 8yr/100k mile warranty on it already.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      02-08-2024, 04:22 PM   #11
qtx5
Rep
Drives: BWM X5

OP can you share the contact/email of the dealer that sell CNA warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:15 PM   #12
MSpeedX7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

The Allstate warranty is not for mechanical repairs.
Appreciate 0