BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Dealer refuses to do transmission fluid change

So I called up the dealer to schedule my oil change and asked if they would change the transmission fluid as well (on my dime, of course). They refused to do the transmission fluid change since it was a "lifetime" fluid.

Whatever. I don't feel like playing games. So my options are to somehow purchase the fluid from somewhere and either change it myself or find a reputable indy shop to do it.

If I do it myself and follow Dackel's MT fluid change instructions (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=70 I should be good to go, right? I assume a 135i MT is the same for a 1M?

Thanks!
      06-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Get a better dealer! It's not lifetime in the 1M. I believe they recommend changing it at 40K miles and outside the US they recommend changing it at 1200 miles. These guys are obviously idiots and you don't want them working on your car. They can't tell the difference between a 1 M and a 135. They will probably end putting the wrong gear fluid in your gearbox and diff so save yourself some trouble and find a dealer that knows what they are talking about. Where are you located? Other guys in the area can help you out but include the dealer and city. Sorry for your hassle. It's one of the downsides to having a special car.

Do it yourself and you know it got done correctly with LT-5. As far as same process I'm not sure as sometimes I have seen a reference to different lubrication in gearbox but that might be hype too. I had mine changed in Germany and I was told that it entailed a fill, drive, the top off again. There might be some difference but it's probably minor. If you have ANY doubt whatsoever just top it off , drive it then on level surface top off again and that will ensure that any fluid circulated has been replaced. It's an extra step but it would give you great peace of mind. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, there's really only one dealership where I'm at and they were able to perform my run-in service without incident. I think it's just the service manager that's an idiot.

I think I'll call the parts manager and ask if they can at least order the fluid and then I can ask in person if they'll do the service armed with the info that the fluid is supposed to be changed at some interval. I thought it was at the "second" oil change (30k) that the transmission fluid was to be changed... And if not, I'll just do it myself and save the $150 or so. Just need to know if the 135 MT process is the same for the 1M.
      06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
which dealer did you go to, Atlantic or Orange Park? I know the tom bush bmw on atlantic has some consistency issues. But try calling the one you haven't spoken to and see if they will do it. I had my break-in service done at tom bush on atlantic and they did everything properly but only after I hounded them about the correct fluids. But nachob is correct, the tranny fluid is not lifetime...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Tranny fluid is no longer a requirement, if you want it done buy the oil and they will change it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yea... its the same procedure as on a 135i. Only thing is a 1M (or a N55 manual) trans holds a little bit less. People say just over 1.1L - so buy two liters. I think on my 135i it was a little over 2.1L. IF you do it yourself just make sure your car is level. Any indi can do this service for you too.

Your dealer is a idiot. The 1M get the trans fluid changed at the third oil change - at 45K miles. Over here in Germany BMW says to change it at 1,200 miles and then every third oil change(@45K miles). This is one of those glitches that BMW NA differs from BMW AG servicing. lol

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Tranny fluid is no longer a requirement, if you want it done buy the oil and they will change it for you.
Kinda, you are correct it is no longer a "requirement" and it is not covered IN THE U.S.(where service is no cost for 4/50k), but doesn't explain why it is recommended at the 2K service everywhere else in the world. We all know there was some difficulty in even obtaining the fluid and the correct one at that. BMW really didn't handle that portion of the fluid change well at all. JMO
      06-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

They only made the 1200 mile break-in change not required after they had problems with fluid shortages and dealers putting the wrong stuff in BUT the regular trans oil change interval is still in effect. I had my 1200 mi done in Germany and reimbursed stateside. I will change mine every two years regardless. That is about every 20k - 24k miles .

It's amazing how many stupid dealers are out there still.

Thanks to Metak for all the good info!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Get a better dealership!!
It's no longer a requirement BUT that started with THIS car (conveinently there was a national shortage before this new rule) My dealership called whoever they did in BMWUSA and got it approved at no extra cost to me at my 1yr low mileage oil change (2 wks ago). And to be frank it DOES make a difference. I noticed that occasionally on hard pulls I would miss 3rd gear... I spent all of last yr and early part of this yr adjusting my seat thinking somehow I wasn't at the right distance from the clutch ect... Since MTF changed it has not happened ONCE!! Now I have to figure out what to do with 3 liters of this stuff that I bought in Feb as I was gonna do it myself if it wasn't covered...
Tell your service or Parts manager to make some calls... They are definitely doing it for free. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My dealer ordered the fluid and changed it for me as part of the run-in service, no cost to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

I know a tech at Tom Bush Atl Blvd. - came to me highly recommended - only one I would let touch my car and he is an enthusiast. PM me for more details.
When I originally went to the dealer they did not know what a 1M was - the only reason I let them do the 1,200 was due to having this tech perform the work.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
Now I have to figure out what to do with 3 liters of this stuff that I bought in Feb as I was gonna do it myself if it wasn't covered...
um, sell them to me?