Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #45
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin335xi
Or you can buy the 6/4pod from the CCB. There a thousand piece. But its different size rotor on the CCB. Parts guy told me this.
Or somone will come up with a conversion kit for adding steel rotors to CCB rotors. Only a matter of time
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #46
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

I love mine. They look great perform well. It is hard to drive my x5 after driving the M4. The brakes take too long to stop. lol..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #47
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
Actually, if you do that you'll pretty much just get this thread again like a dog chasing its tail. "Carbon ceramic brakes and fragile" does not fair much better - once again mainly leading to threads like this.

No doubt the CCB's require extra care. BMW recommends that its technicians use a special holder when changing them, for instance. I happen to think that their fragility has been greatly exaggerated however.

I will allow that fear of damaging them during a tire change is a significant drawback to ownership. The clearance between the 641's and rotors, for example, is very small to the point I wouldn't even try changing them myself.
Stumbled on this:
Quote:
Every impact and collision with hard material can cause damage to the ceramic surfaces and edges.
If this is not a clear indication that CCBs are fragile, then I don't know what is .
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-08-2015 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #48
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Stumbled on this:

If this is not a clear indication that CCBs are fragile, then I don't know what is .
Now that's what I call solid information. Thanks. 250,000 km to go. So far no chips.
      01-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #49
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I just went ahead and ordered CCB's last night, My CA hates me lol
Update: car is already 150 status and can't be modified

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #50
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
This is interesting, but note it's pointing to >50% of the surface. Small nicks here and there are part of life, right? Some of the people that change tires in the Bay Area are total Ass Clowns, so I'm legit worried about them going anywhere near my possible purchase (still deciding vs. the steel), but from normal operation I can't imagine one rock or five rendering these useless or there'd be no incentive to sell such an expensive product without the demand. I'll admit, my primary purchasing justification is in the ether here, but I do want to do several track days / year, and don't want to worry about changing pads, wheels, etc. Is there some empirical evidence from forum members to support fragility?

Quote:
Stumbled on this:

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #51
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
This is interesting, but note it's pointing to >50% of the surface. Small nicks here and there are part of life, right? Some of the people that change tires in the Bay Area are total Ass Clowns, so I'm legit worried about them going anywhere near my possible purchase (still deciding vs. the steel), but from normal operation I can't imagine one rock or five rendering these useless or there'd be no incentive to sell such an expensive product without the demand. I'll admit, my primary purchasing justification is in the ether here, but I do want to do several track days / year, and don't want to worry about changing pads, wheels, etc. Is there some empirical evidence from forum members to support fragility?
I am an avid tracker. As I posted earlier in this thread, the risks increases when one needs to do frequent wheel changes in the paddock area of a race track in less than ideal conditions. Also going sideways in a gravel trap with CCBs can turn a benign event into a very costly mishap. The fragility disadvantage of the CCB is real. How much of a risk it actually is, is user dependant .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #52
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
I am an avid tracker. As I posted earlier in this thread, the risks increases when one needs to do frequent wheel changes in the paddock area of a race track in less than ideal conditions. Also going sideways in a gravel trap with CCBs can turn a benign event into a very costly mishap. The fragility disadvantage of the CCB is real. How much of a risk it actually is, is user dependant .
I agree that fear of damaging the rotors during a tire change is a legitimate concern regarding these brakes. How much of a concern it is will depend on the skill, care and strength of the person changing the tires.

Fear of road damage is another matter.

There is a possibility that BMW might cover the replacement under warranty. If not, there is also the possibility of insurance coverage. Naturally,that would depend on winning the argument that such damage is not simply ordinary wear and tear as opposed to damage like a chipped windshield

Because the brakes are OEM, at least they would not be subject to the rather severely reduced coverage limits for aftermarket parts.

The gravel trap scenario that you described presents two additional hurdles – coverage for a track event as well as an at-fault accident.

Standard auto insurance isn't necessarily out the window at track events depending on how the exclusion is worded and the structure of the event. To use an example, cases have held that it is not a "race" if there is a point-by system in use and it is not a "speed test" if the laps are not being timed. A more challenging exclusion might be whether it is a "display of speed" at a closed course. If there are no spectators, however, is it a display?

I think it is also important to keep in mind that these brakes come with larger calipers and additional pistons. In other words, it is not just about carbon ceramic rotors and pads. I think FTS pointed this out to you in a previous post.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #53
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
You got me thinking... I know this sounds unbelievable, but I've had 13 flat tires in the last five years. I've applied for FEMA assistance. Getting the tired fixed is a game of roulette. I've had to force two separate places (Wheel Works & Big O) to buy me one new wheel each for damaging them during install (yes, they have touchless mounters so imagine that) and in almost all instances they've badly balanced the wheels. Aside from the cost this is my biggest concern about the CCBs; keeping them away from Chucklefucks. Anyway, is there even a spare wheel & tire option that fits around the CCBs?! This would probably sway me in the right direction...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #54
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
I've applied for FEMA assistance.
good one!

Quote:
...this is my biggest concern about the CCBs; keeping them away from Chucklefucks. Anyway, is there even a spare wheel & tire option that fits around the CCBs?! This would probably sway me in the right direction...
I am not as concerned as CanAutM3 about fragile rotors, although I have them. Just as a regular practice though, I don't take my cars to wheel/tire shops, I just take my wheels/tires to shops I know, mostly race shops, and have them do the mounting and balancing, then I mount them on the car myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #55
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I am not as concerned as CanAutM3 about fragile rotors, although I have them. Just as a regular practice though, I don't take my cars to wheel/tire shops, I just take my wheels/tires to shops I know, mostly race shops, and have them do the mounting and balancing, then I mount them on the car myself.
The fragility is certainly not an element that kept me from getting CCBs

But it needs to be considered as part of the whole package

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-08-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #56
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Do you have any suggestions for a spare wheel/tire by chance? Having one would certainly give me a lot more options where to take my wheels & tires. I usually end up at those crappy places because I can't hobble far with my only car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
good one!

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #57
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for a spare wheel/tire by chance? Having one would certainly give me a lot more options where to take my wheels & tires. I usually end up at those crappy places because I can't hobble far with my only car.
Unfortunately I do not. I always buy a set of track wheels for all my cars, the ones for M4 should be delivered next week, I rotate between two sets of wheels. These track wheels are not the best looking, but are custom built for me by CCW, they will be doing final test fitment on the PSI's M4 early next week with few different sizes of tires I intend to use and they will ship it afterwards. They are the strongest wheels for the price I could find, while keeping weight within the range I wanted, and couple of nice track-oriented features on them
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #58
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch View Post
I would've gotten them if they were covered under the maintenance plan.
you and the rest of us
Appreciate 0