BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Which full-size pickup to complement G07?

02-29-2024, 02:15 PM   #23
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MBlue View Post
1 Ton Diesel. Limits you in terms of manufactures, but the frame/chasis and the torque down low is amazing. I do not even notice say 7k lbs behind the truck.

The lane keep/assist sucks on the Ram vehicles compared to the BMW. It under/over corrects like you are driving drunk between lanes in comparison to BMW.
Agreed on lane assist, however the one in the RAM is not really a keep system, it's really just sort of there to prevent you from crossing the lane rather than keep you centered in the lane. It's kind of annoying when you get used to how X7 does it, so I turn it off :-)

GMCs (especially in Denali trim) have RAM beat in this, since they do come with level 2 systems like the one found in the Escalade.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #24
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Agreed on lane assist, however the one in the RAM is not really a keep system, it's really just sort of there to prevent you from crossing the lane rather than keep you centered in the lane. It's kind of annoying when you get used to how X7 does it, so I turn it off :-)

GMCs (especially in Denali trim) have RAM beat in this, since they do come with level 2 systems like the one found in the Escalade.
Not only that, but since (at least my TRX) the trucks are so wide, the system is constantly correcting as even small lane marking deviations make the truck think it's getting too close to the next lane.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 10:24 AM   #25
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
Not only that, but since (at least my TRX) the trucks are so wide, the system is constantly correcting as even small lane marking deviations make the truck think it's getting too close to the next lane.
Yes, even though TRX can put a wider grin on your face, it's not an easy truck to live with every day. Plus it's not really useful in towing situations. Yes you can tow with it, but that's not what it was designed to do. Any of these wider than normal trucks will always be more PITA in normal day to day settings (normal roads, normal traffic). It all comes down to what you want out of basically what should be considered a working vehicle. And yes, the lane assist in regular 1500 (maybe a bit less annoying) is not really any better than in TRX.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #26
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Another vote for Ram. I have a 2021 Limited 1500 that has been great. Split my time between that and a new ‘24 wrangler Sahara with one touch top when not driving our family hauler X7. Ram’s interior is not as nice as the BMWs but it’s not far off. Very smooth and quite for a pickup. And you got to love the hemi sound when getting after it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 04:17 PM   #27
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Yes, even though TRX can put a wider grin on your face, it's not an easy truck to live with every day. Plus it's not really useful in towing situations. Yes you can tow with it, but that's not what it was designed to do. Any of these wider than normal trucks will always be more PITA in normal day to day settings (normal roads, normal traffic). It all comes down to what you want out of basically what should be considered a working vehicle. And yes, the lane assist in regular 1500 (maybe a bit less annoying) is not really any better than in TRX.
100% agreed. I have to plan out when and where I can take the truck out. Some parking lots will not fit, either it's too tall or too wide, and some roads are just plain too narrow/tight. It does become a bit of an inconvenience having to plan around parking, especially if going into the city with only parking garages, as we can only take the other car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 06:38 PM   #28
john_wick
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G07

I have a 19 tundra and love it. Doesn't hold a candle next to the x7 in terms of luxury. But the new model looks much more modern I'm just not personally a fan of a TT V6 in a truck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:00 PM   #29
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
I'm using GMC Sierra 1500 (6.2 V8) alongside X7. For long drives and family trips it's always X7. driving difference is day and night in comparison. I feel little tired during long drives driving GMC compared to X7. All set and done, the combination checks all the right boxes for me.

Name:  IMG_1650.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  672.7 KB
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 07:37 PM   #30
Lawdawg5132
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Garage List
2024 BMW X7  [0.00]
Love my 2020 Ram Rebel. 65k miles and no issues. The 2025 Ram will have a much more advanced assisted driving coming out. I recently watched a youtube video demonstration on it, seemed really nice. This is my 5th Ram and I've always had good luck with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #31
PeteSD
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 Xdrive40i

GMC is my go-to!

I have owned Ford (150 & 250) but never Ram. My Fords were junk and one w/the 5.0 V8 threw a rod in the first year. Only got half of what I paid for it after a year of ownership. Dealer refused to let me trade it in. The even said, "We don't want it!".

GMC has always been trouble free for me. Owned three 1500's and three 2500HD's and never an issue except a blown DEF line the day I brought one of the HD's home. I would only buy a Duramax after having the gas trucks and resale is much better. DEF is only an inconvenience if you forget to keep some in your garage.

Towed the new X7 home this week and it was like it wasn't even there. It is possible to get an HD to ride as well as a 1500 w/the right suspension products and set-up. Currently running Elka shocks w/high & low speed compression adjustments. Cranked up the rear shocks one click and forgot trailer was even there!

I stay away from Chevrolet because GMC only sells trucks and it seems to simplify the experience. Rather not be waiting in a service drive on some guy who's complaining the MPG in his Bolt is not matching the window sticker. At GMC, all you get are truck people and it's never a mad house at my store.

I think a lot of ownership experience is really based on the quality of your local dealership. If you have a good relationship with Ford or Ram, go for it! However, the Chrysler dealers near me are a bunch of snakes, so Ram isn't even an option. Ram's high model interiors are a bit over the top for me and kind of defeat the utilitarian aspect of a truck.. but they sure are purdy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0