BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum iOS 13 and CarPlay

09-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #23
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Just an FYI:

One of the best new features of iOS13 is that Siri now does Local Radio Stations.

"Hey Siri, play WFAN New York" and on comes sports talk radio from NYC. iOS13 has Apple partnered with TuneIn, Radio.com, and iHeartRadio for their content, so you can pull up any stations you use those apps for, which means practically every local station you tune in to on your traditional radio.

This is very handy since the process of jumping from CarPlay Audio to AM or FM and then back again is cumbersome in the X7.

Check it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:23 AM   #24
greeniegirl21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

if you have any preset buttons open, I made CarPlay one of the 8 presets for easy access. And another preset with my daughters favorite FM- z100.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
So far so good, I'm 4-for-4 getting in/out and starting/stopping the X7 on various trips the past few hours.

Fingers crossed.
Hi Todd. Sorry for the late reply, I was away on vacation this week. But I saw your post above about using Bluetooth. To connect CarPlay to iDrive you will need both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled at all times. But based on this post I see you figured that out. If you should happen to disable Bluetooth, CarPlay will not connect.

Hopefully you and everyone else experiencing connection issues with iDrive will see a great improvement using iOS 13. To me this implies Apple was mostly to blame for these connection issues. One would think that BMW has been in communication with Apple about the issues but had to wait for Apple to release a software fix and now everyone will have it with this latest release of iOS 13.

I've envisioned using CarPlay wirelessly for several years and BMW is the first manufacture to deliver on that vision, admittedly with some lumps and bumps along the way. The X7 offers both wireless charging and wireless CarPlay, a perfect solution for those who want to use CarPlay quickly and easily with no wires attached.
Appreciate 1
UGAdawg25.50
      09-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Hi Todd. Sorry for the late reply, I was away on vacation this week. But I saw your post above about using Bluetooth. To connect CarPlay to iDrive you will need both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled at all times. But based on this post I see you figured that out. If you should happen to disable Bluetooth, CarPlay will not connect.

Hopefully you and everyone else experiencing connection issues with iDrive will see a great improvement using iOS 13. To me this implies Apple was mostly to blame for these connection issues. One would think that BMW has been in communication with Apple about the issues but had to wait for Apple to release a software fix and now everyone will have it with this latest release of iOS 13.

I've envisioned using CarPlay wirelessly for several years and BMW is the first manufacture to deliver on that vision, admittedly with some lumps and bumps along the way. The X7 offers both wireless charging and wireless CarPlay, a perfect solution for those who want to use CarPlay quickly and easily with no wires attached.
Thanks LJ.

As CarPlay worked flawlessly on iDrive 6 in my 4 Series for the past two years without a single hiccup I still believe the problem was on the BMW side and Apple added a tweak to correct a compatibility issue with iDrive 7.

The big wins for me are:

1. You can finally “Press 1 to speak to an agent, Press 2 to dial by name...” and get the keypad to work when you are driving at speed.

2. You can finally ask Siri to “Call Panera Bread...” and tap a button on the screen to call the phone number not just get the address.

3. You can say “Play WFAN New York radio” or any of a thousand local radio stations and have it live stream instead of having to use the car radio for that purpose.

4. You can say “Take me to 123 Main Street using Google Maps“ and have Google Maps load the address instead of only having that voice functionality for Apple Maps.

So far the connectivity is good. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Appreciate 1
ppagiga657.00
      09-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #27
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Another new feature in iOS 13 - CarPlay is the ability to open your garage door(s) from CarPlay if you have HomeKit enabled garage door openers. But maybe the best feature is that BMW uses the entire 12.3" screen to display CarPlay and any apps like Waze or Google Maps. Mercedes new MBUX system only uses a portion of their 12.3" screen displaying black bars on either side of CarPlay. What a waste of screen space. And MB doesn't (yet) support wireless CarPlay. A huge thumbs down to MB for these decisions.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #28
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I have been using IOS 13 with carplay for a while, and it works great. I have noticed one issue though. If i leave my phone on the wireless charging pad, eventually it gets very hot. When it gets too hot, it seems to disconnect from carplay. If i then take it off the pad, it will reconnect after a minute or so.
I also noticed that phone thru wireless charge gets hot but also I have impression that is not charging very fast anyone has the same issue? I have iPhone XS
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 02:13 AM   #29
k23435
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

^ & ^^

Interesting to hear this.

I ordered an X7 to Europe, and the car is even in the country I live already, but the delivery is now delayed because of a factory recall. When I queried about the reason for the recall, they mentioned problems with wireless charging.

You may want to check this.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:21 AM   #30
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23435 View Post
^ & ^^

Interesting to hear this.

I ordered an X7 to Europe, and the car is even in the country I live already, but the delivery is now delayed because of a factory recall. When I queried about the reason for the recall, they mentioned problems with wireless charging.

You may want to check this.
Thanks for the note, I am actually set to do some service on Tuesday as my car came with few blemishes and they fixing it. I will ask if there is recall
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #31
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Did you day iPhone 6?
Sorry? Yes, I have two iPhones--an XS Max (my USA phone), and an iPhone 6. (my Middle Eastern phone) The iPhone 6 is not eligible to upgrade to iOS 13
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #32
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

iOS 13 is has been released and is downloadable for the general public now.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #33
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
iOS 13 is has been released and is downloadable for the general public now.
Welcome to Thursday. Can you tell me if the Yankees clinch the AL East?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #34
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to Thursday. Can you tell me if the Yankees clinch the AL East?
Ok ok it wasn’t available on my phone until this morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #35
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Ok ok it wasn’t available on my phone until this morning.
...just having a bit of fun...

Let us know how it goes and if your connectivity is better than it was in iOS12.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #36
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
...just having a bit of fun...

Let us know how it goes and if your connectivity is better than it was in iOS12.
Sure, as soon as my build is done and I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #37
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

iOS 13.1.1 here and still spotty connectivity to iDrive on my ‘19 :/
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #38
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Going to add this to this forum. Can anyone try this and tell me if its working for them? Anyone use Apple Music?

I have been having issues with playing songs through the HUD in Apple Music. It shows me the list of songs in the playlist, but when I go to select a specific song it doesn't do anything. It doesn't play the song like it should. Anyone experiencing this?

iOS 13
iPhone 11 pro
idrive 2019.53
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #39
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Going to add this to this forum. Can anyone try this and tell me if its working for them? Anyone use Apple Music?

I have been having issues with playing songs through the HUD in Apple Music. It shows me the list of songs in the playlist, but when I go to select a specific song it doesn't do anything. It doesn't play the song like it should. Anyone experiencing this?

iOS 13
iPhone 11 pro
idrive 2019.53
As I posted on the other thread it works for me if listening to an album but when I call up a Playlist I have the same issue. This a bug but I'm not sure if it's iOS or iDrive.

I was able to navigate through a Playlist using the Back and Forward buttons on the steering wheel and my selections where visible in HUD list.

Last edited by LittleJoe; 10-02-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #40
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post

iOS 13
iPhone 11 pro
idrive 2019.53
As I posted on the other thread it works for me if listening to an album but when I call up a Playlist I have the same issue. This a bug but I'm not sure if it's iOS or iDrive.

I was able to navigate through a Playlist using the Back and Forward buttons on the steering wheel and my selections where visible in HUD list.
Thanks for trying. Yeah same. I am able to go back and forth but not select from the list.

BMW gave me instructions on how to reset the stereo. (Hold down volume button) and some other items. It actually worked right after all items were done but 2 minutes later it stopped again. :

It's such a great feature imo. I listen to playlists mostly and my daughter is always requesting specific songs. . I might take it in and see what they can do. We will see.

I think it's always been buggy for me so my guess is idrive. But not sure. If you try and select radio stations from a list it works. So I know the button works.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #41
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@toddwalton

Moving to this thread. I can't delete the other one.

Thanks for your help. I haven't been able to get into the forums until now.

It worked as you said it would.

However, the playlist I am trying to play is the recently played, as well as, other smart playlists that still don't work. In addition to playlist I have created. All of those songs are still streaming. They aren't downloaded to my phone. So I don't see the difference there?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #42
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I tried to add a curated playlist to my library. As soon as I did and played it from my library it doesn't work. When I play the same list from "browse" it works. Didnt download any songs. Just added the playlist to library. That's so strange.
Appreciate 0