BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum I got traffic jam assist to work, and OMG it's amazing.

02-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #23
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
How are you guys getting the that road view in the traffic assist mode? I thought 11.19 was the latest software but I definitely don't get that view. What software version are you running?
2019 X7s are not supported (hard coded) for this feature (even though they have the hardware supported in them. If you have a 2019 X7, and a software version above 07/2019.5x, you need to get it coded (modify/tweak the software) using BimmerCode App (mobile OS) or eSys system (PC OS) using an OBD Link Adapter (that connects to your car's OBD port). Your software version is now compatible for that coding. You just need the app and the adapter to have done.

More instructions about it can be found in the Coding Thread(s) here on this site.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:05 AM   #24
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Are you saying that all you have to do is tap the back of the steering wheel with your fingers? You don't need to hold them there? If you need to hold them there what's the point?
He is probably referring to the Normal Cruise Mode (and not TJA) drive time when you see the Yellow and Red Hold Steering hand icons in the cockpit (not the steering wheel LEDs). This is when you have tap the steering wheel to continue the cruise assist, if I am not wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #25
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Actually, you can have the system drive for you all the time with this simple suggestion I got from my salesman. Place the fingers of one hand lightly to the back of the steering wheel but only with enough pressure that the wheel picks up the heat of your fingers but does not actually steer the car. The X7 will continue to steer indefinitely with no warnings. I was test driving another X7 last week when he shared this tip and it works great. I've used it at least a half dozen times since. While it's not "Traffic Jam Assistant" its a way to suppress the yellow and red warning lights. Of course you must be fully engaged with watching the road as anything could go wrong.
Are you saying that all you have to do is tap the back of the steering wheel with your fingers? You don't need to hold them there? If you need to hold them there what's the point?
I've seen all the ideas. Put a water bottle on the wheel. Wedge a grapefruit in the wheel. Whatever.

On perfectly flat straight roads I have my hand on the wheel and the yellow warning still flashes until I actually squeeze the wheel. It's fine.
Can you further elaborate on this? How much of a "squeeze" on the steering wheel are you talking about? For example, if you are cruising on the interstate with light/moderate traffic, traveling at speeds at or above the speed limit (65 MPH+), can you just gently rest your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel with a few fingers (close to your lap) to keep the car happy? Or do you need a white knuckle death grip, with multiple fingers wrapped around the entire wheel at the "10 and 2 positions" for the car to properly sense your hand on the wheel?

I jest a bit since I am sure there is a happy medium, I am just trying to get a good sense about the sensitivity of the system wrt hands on the steering wheel since I know I could not get a long enough test drive to really understand this system prior to purchase .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #26
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Can you further elaborate on this? How much of a "squeeze" on the steering wheel are you talking about? For example, if you are cruising on the interstate with light/moderate traffic, traveling at speeds at or above the speed limit (65 MPH+), can you just gently rest your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel with a few fingers (close to your lap) to keep the car happy? Or do you need a white knuckle death grip, with multiple fingers wrapped around the entire wheel at the "10 and 2 positions" for the car to properly sense your hand on the wheel?

I jest a bit since I am sure there is a happy medium, I am just trying to get a good sense about the sensitivity of the system wrt hands on the steering wheel since I know I could not get a long enough test drive to really understand this system prior to purchase .
I do not grip the steering wheel, I just holding my fingers along the back side of it with my hand open. Just enough pressure so the wheel can feel the heat from your fingers. My salesman said the system knows your hand(s) are on the wheel because of the heat. It works like a champ for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #27
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, you can have the system drive for you all the time with this simple suggestion I got from my salesman. Place the fingers of one hand lightly to the back of the steering wheel but only with enough pressure that the wheel picks up the heat of your fingers but does not actually steer the car. The X7 will continue to steer indefinitely with no warnings. I was test driving another X7 last week when he shared this tip and it works great. I've used it at least a half dozen times since. While it's not "Traffic Jam Assistant" its a way to suppress the yellow and red warning lights. Of course you must be fully engaged with watching the road as anything could go wrong.
I've seen all the ideas. Put a water bottle on the wheel. Wedge a grapefruit in the wheel. Whatever.

On perfectly flat straight roads I have my hand on the wheel and the yellow warning still flashes until I actually squeeze the wheel. It's fine.

Usually resting your hands on the wheel is good enough. I drive the same way. Arm on lap and fingers resting in the bottom of the wheel. Usually that's good enough except when the road is long straight and flat. Then it seems like just resting your fingers there isn't good enough. But just a little pressure will keep the yellow lights off. If you don't keep at least a tiny bit of pressure then the lights come on and you need to squeeze the wheel a bit. It's still pretty awesome. My Q7 was really good and the BMW is a tic better.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      02-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #28
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Usually resting your hands on the wheel is good enough. I drive the same way. Arm on lap and fingers resting in the bottom of the wheel. Usually that's good enough except when the road is long straight and flat. Then it seems like just resting your fingers there isn't good enough. But just a little pressure will keep the yellow lights off. If you don't keep at least a tiny bit of pressure then the lights come on and you need to squeeze the wheel a bit. It's still pretty awesome. My Q7 was really good and the BMW is a tic better.
Pretty much the same experience here, even holding my hands at 9 and 3, just enough pressure to rest my thumbs and hold on without really giving any steering input and I'll still have to adjust my hands occasionally. Maybe we just have some cold hands.
jmciver1823.50
      02-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #29
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Thanks for this great insight, it really helps. Now here is another one for you.... I know you can press a button to turn off the system at any time. But if the system is driving fine at highway speed, keeping your fingers/hands on the steering wheel as appropriate, how much manual force on the steering wheel does it take to regain manual control? For example, with the system on, if you decide to make a manual lane change by turning the steering wheel with your hands (and not using a button to turn off the system first), either a normal one or possibly an "abrupt" lane change, how much will the car "fight" you to maintain automatic control? Or will the car easily sense your manual steering input and return full manual control to the driver?

I am curious because during my X7 test drive, the Lane Change Assist was turned on and the amount of force the car turned the steering wheel seemed surprisingly high - and I even fought back a little bit when it happened. When exiting the parking lot, the car thought I came too close to the center line and abruptly turned the steering wheel to more aggressively get back into my lane (even though I had no concern with how close I was to the center line) - I promptly turned that rather annoying feature off BTW. That said, I like to think I am strong enough to overpower the car on the steering wheel, but who knows.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #30
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this great insight, it really helps. Now here is another one for you.... I know you can press a button to turn off the system at any time. But if the system is driving fine at highway speed, keeping your fingers/hands on the steering wheel as appropriate, how much manual force on the steering wheel does it take to regain manual control? For example, with the system on, if you decide to make a manual lane change by turning the steering wheel with your hands (and not using a button to turn off the system first), either a normal one or possibly an "abrupt" lane change, how much will the car "fight" you to maintain automatic control? Or will the car easily sense your manual steering input and return full manual control to the driver?

I am curious because during my X7 test drive, the Lane Change Assist was turned on and the amount of force the car turned the steering wheel seemed surprisingly high - and I even fought back a little bit when it happened. When exiting the parking lot, the car thought I came too close to the center line and abruptly turned the steering wheel to more aggressively get back into my lane (even though I had no concern with how close I was to the center line) - I promptly turned that rather annoying feature off BTW. That said, I like to think I am strong enough to overpower the car on the steering wheel, but who knows.....
This is my fourth car with that feature. Each one was better than the rest. The BMW is by far the best I've had but also the newest.

The one thing I can say is that while every year gets better, the resistance has increased too. In my Q7 I could overpower the lane keep with just an annoying little extra hold. The BMW dies fight a lot harder but not so hard that it can't be overpowered.

I am still getting used to the systems so I have everything set at medium. I may turn it down a notch but I am sure I won't turn it off.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      02-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #31
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
My salesman said the system knows your hand(s) are on the wheel because of the heat.
The BMW system uses heat sensors? What happens when the heated steering wheel is on?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #32
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
My salesman said the system knows your hand(s) are on the wheel because of the heat.
The BMW system uses heat sensors? What happens when the heated steering wheel is on?
I'd like to know how it knows. But I doubt it's heat sensors.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #33
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
I'd like to know how it knows. But I doubt it's heat sensors.
That's why I asked; a heat sensing system seems like it would be incredibly unreliable and problematic. My Volvo's pilot assist looks for occasional steering inputs from the driver. It really only requires a subtle twitch of a finger. I know Mercedes uses sensors in the steering wheel to detect tactile pressure. I would assume the X7 uses one or both of those approaches.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #34
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

It uses capacitive touch resistance, like an iPad etc.
Appreciate 1
Nath4n34.00
      02-22-2020, 06:12 AM   #35
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
2019 X7s are not supported (hard coded) for this feature (even though they have the hardware supported in them. If you have a 2019 X7, and a software version above 07/2019.5x, you need to get it coded (modify/tweak the software) using BimmerCode App (mobile OS) or eSys system (PC OS) using an OBD Link Adapter (that connects to your car's OBD port). Your software version is now compatible for that coding. You just need the app and the adapter to have done.

More instructions about it can be found in the Coding Thread(s) here on this site.
I’ve got a 2019 and have Bimmercode and would love to code this. Anyone know where I can find instructions?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #36
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
That's correct.
BMW uses IEE's HOD system:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #37
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
That's my understanding as well. Although I'm surprised capacitance differential can be accurately measured through various steering wheel materials, not just a capacitance touch screen like an iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #38
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Am I the only one not able to get this going? Is there a step by step set of instructions in the manual or online somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #39
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Am I the only one not able to get this going? Is there a step by step set of instructions in the manual or online somewhere?
You must be one of the lucky ones that lives in an area with no bumper-to-bumper traffic .... But seriously, my experience has been that the system can be a bit picky at times when it comes to meeting the criteria for TJA. But in general, if I am on the highway at speed, driving in "semi-autonomous" mode, if the traffic slows to below 40 mph and stays there for 30-45 secs or so, the option for TJA will pop up in the dash. Then I hit the mode button and TJA will become active.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #40
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Yes, I have been away for some time and I am often the only vehicle on the road. I will try this again when I return and hopefully can get it to work. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #41
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

So I am definitely a noobie when it comes to coding the car and all that involves. I’ve been reading on alot of what can be changed but I was curious to know if the traffic jam assist can be coded to work over the 40mph limit it has built in. Meaning can we can it to where you don’t have to keep touching the wheel every few seconds at say up to 75/80mph? I haven’t found any information on this. I have a 21 m50i due to get delivered to my dealer soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #42
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
So I am definitely a noobie when it comes to coding the car and all that involves. I’ve been reading on alot of what can be changed but I was curious to know if the traffic jam assist can be coded to work over the 40mph limit it has built in. Meaning can we can it to where you don’t have to keep touching the wheel every few seconds at say up to 75/80mph? I haven’t found any information on this. I have a 21 m50i due to get delivered to my dealer soon.
BMW takes a very conservative approach to autonomous driving and if it was possible, G05 forum members with coding experience would have surfaced it by now. I know that Cadillac offers Super Cruise and eventually other GM brands which works up to highway speeds.

Last year, BMW spokesman Oleg Satanovsky acknowledged that BMW’s approach to ETJA at speeds up to around 40 mph, “may be more conservative” but defended it as a safety measure and cautioned that the driver remains “always responsible for control of the vehicle” with ETJA. He declined to say whether the hardware is capable of higher speed thresholds through an over-the-air update.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #43
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
BMW takes a very conservative approach to autonomous driving and if it was possible, G05 forum members with coding experience would have surfaced it by now. I know that Cadillac offers Super Cruise and eventually other GM brands which works up to highway speeds.

Last year, BMW spokesman Oleg Satanovsky acknowledged that BMW’s approach to ETJA at speeds up to around 40 mph, “may be more conservative” but defended it as a safety measure and cautioned that the driver remains “always responsible for control of the vehicle” with ETJA. He declined to say whether the hardware is capable of higher speed thresholds through an over-the-air update.
Ya I can definitely see they are ultra conservative and worried about law suits. Hence the low threshold. Thing is it’s a little ridiculous honestly. You trust the driver to use the system fully engaged up to 40 but not 70? look what is the difference?

I’ve used the super cruise in a Cadillac ct6 and it is awesome. No reason bmw can’t do the same in their 100k+ flagship.

I own a 16 platinum ct6 but no super cruise. Wasn’t introduced until my 18.

I would love for this to be able to be coded though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #44
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

Last year, BMW spokesman Oleg Satanovsky acknowledged that BMW's approach to ETJA at speeds up to around 40 mph, "may be more conservative" but defended it as a safety measure and cautioned that the driver remains "always responsible for control of the vehicle" with ETJA. He declined to say whether the hardware is capable of higher speed thresholds through an over-the-air update.
Ya I can definitely see they are ultra conservative and worried about law suits. Hence the low threshold. Thing is it's a little ridiculous honestly. You trust the driver to use the system fully engaged up to 40 but not 70? look what is the difference?

I've used the super cruise in a Cadillac ct6 and it is awesome. No reason bmw can't do the same in their 100k+ flagship.

I own a 16 platinum ct6 but no super cruise. Wasn't introduced until my 18.

I would love for this to be able to be coded though.
It can't currently be coded unfortunately. The car works perfectly well up to 70 mph hands free on motorways, at least on the current I-step.

In my experience it would have probably caused an accident hands free at 70mph with 07/2019 istep and earlier - it couldn't deal with steep bends and would sometimes misread road markings and steer off track, but with 07/2020 it's solid. Not 100% but very close.

I've driven hands and feet free for over and hour at 70mph (hand next to wheel on knee) and the car deals with everything, even wandering trucks moving into its lane.

I can see them allowing hands free as standard at greater speeds on the 'inext' models. Whether they retrofit to current models is another matter.
Appreciate 0