BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Seat issue

06-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Seat issue

I’ve got like 200 miles on the car, and the leather in my driver seat is coming off from underneath. Anyone have this issue?

Guess I have to take it into the dealer. And seems like the kind of thing that’s going to require some time to fix. Ugh.
Attached Images

06-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
I’ve got like 200 miles on the car, and the leather in my driver seat is coming off from underneath. Anyone have this issue?

Guess I have to take it into the dealer. And seems like the kind of thing that’s going to require some time to fix. Ugh.
It's happened to me on my x5. I use to snap it right back in. Dealer tryin fixing it 3 times, even replaced the bolster but just kept popping out once every few months and only on my passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
It's happened to me on my x5. I use to snap it right back in. Dealer tryin fixing it 3 times, even replaced the bolster but just kept popping out once every few months and only on my passenger seat.
My encore delivery guy noticed mine did the same thing on the passenger side. Before he could finish saying “let’s talk to service to make an appointment to get that fixed” - I had fixed it myself standing on the lot. Got no time to screw with them over piddly.

Take a close look at the other seat to see. The leather has a tab like thing sewn to the end. There is a notch or something on the seat structure that holds it into place. It kinda flips and locks in under tension. Start on one side of seat - Then just work your way across. So far it has not come out again.

You can do it with one hand. Use your right hand if working on passenger side. Or vice versa. I kinda pushed/guided the tab into the catch-hold with my fingers as I curled and pressed my hand around the front of the seat edge to compress the cushion and give you the extra reach to lock it in. I was surprised how easy it was. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
SparkleCity
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, AMG S63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
I've got like 200 miles on the car, and the leather in my driver seat is coming off from underneath. Anyone have this issue?

Guess I have to take it into the dealer. And seems like the kind of thing that's going to require some time to fix. Ugh.

My drivers seat is doing something similar though it is still attached in the center but torn on the corner. I am told that a new seat cover has been ordered to replace it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
My encore delivery guy noticed mine did the same thing on the passenger side. Before he could finish saying “let’s talk to service to make an appointment to get that fixed” - I had fixed it myself standing on the lot. Got no time to screw with them over piddly.

Take a close look at the other seat to see. The leather has a tab like thing sewn to the end. There is a notch or something on the seat structure that holds it into place. It kinda flips and locks in under tension. Start on one side of seat - Then just work your way across. So far it has not come out again.

You can do it with one hand. Use your right hand if working on passenger side. Or vice versa. I kinda pushed/guided the tab into the catch-hold with my fingers as I curled and pressed my hand around the front of the seat edge to compress the cushion and give you the extra reach to lock it in. I was surprised how easy it was. Good luck
Thanks I had no idea. Will take a shot at this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
There is a measure for this. Should not be an issue to have the dealer reupholster the leather to the seat and if not, you will likely get a whole seat replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Sadly, this has been an identified trend in the X5 (see the G05 forum) that is spilling over to the X7.

I feel it may be another negative consequence of Magna taking over the contract for seating production.

In any case, BMW definitely is on the hook for any of these seating things, to make sure your seat is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Can somebody upload photos on the process to reconnect the seats. I cant figure it out and now my drivers seat is unattached on the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Can somebody upload photos on the process to reconnect the seats. I cant figure it out and now my drivers seat is unattached on the front.
I posted general instructions above. I wish I could provide pics. My passenger side popped out a second time since I made the instruction post above. I am thinking if you sit on the front edge it compresses the cushion and allows the plastic tab to come free of its tension - catch.

Honestly, I was able to repair it without looking under. I start on the side by the console squeezing to compress the cushion while twisting / pulling tight the leather for maximum strech/reach while using my finger tips to push the tab as far around and under as possible. release and you should might realize the 1st 3-4 inches are engaged. then its just repeating it across the front of the cushion. If it happens again, I'll try to take some pics, but I think you can get it if you keep trying. The key is that you need to get that tab edge farther around and under then it wants to be (by compressing the cushion and kind of stretching the leather to go farther than it would if you didn't compress the cushion. (I'm not forcing anything though - just a frim squeeze of the end while twisting my wrist to keep the leather tight.)

I would suggest looking at the driver seat for the "idea", but unfortuatnely for you that seat is out too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok. I figured it out. Doesn't seem like a very good system. I would start at one side and work across and sometimes it would pop the original side back out.

I think I get all the little clips back in, but they really need to look at this design.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you by the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #12
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Popped it back in. Seemed secure. A week later it’s out again.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #13
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bumping this.

Super annoying. I feel like this pops out every few days now. Im so paranoid about it, I'm constantly checking.

For a 100k dollar car, this kind of stuff shouldn't happen.

Gonna have to take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0