BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum WiFi Hotspot

06-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

WiFi Hotspot

Anyone also having trouble browsing the internet on there phone while using the Hotspot?
My WiFi signal is strong but but websites won't load.
Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I think it's only a 3G connection.

I'll stick with the 4G hotspot off my phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Anyone also having trouble browsing the internet on there phone while using the Hotspot?
Am I missing something?

Thanks!
I have not used it for internet yet, but...

1) have you activated your 3 GB trial or added your car’s hotspot to your mobile account.

2) there is an option in the idrive setting where you need to enable internet. From home page go to com>mobile devices>settings. Be sure “internet” is checked
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Quote:
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

1) have you activated your 3 GB trial or added your car's hotspot to your mobile account.

2) there is an option in the idrive setting where you need to enable internet. From home page go to com>mobile devices>settings. Be sure "internet" is checked
Yeah, I have all the boxes checked.
Not sure if anything else is necessary to activate the free trial..... I'll have to look into that. I was just curious how well it would work for my kids streaming there iPads when we go on long drives rather than downloading ahead of time or using my phone as a hotspot. I don't currently have unlimited data on my IPhone.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

1) have you activated your 3 GB trial or added your car's hotspot to your mobile account.

2) there is an option in the idrive setting where you need to enable internet. From home page go to com>mobile devices>settings. Be sure "internet" is checked
Not sure if anything else is necessary to activate the free trial..... I'll have to look into that. I was just curious how well it would work for my kids streaming there iPads when we go on long drives rather than downloading ahead of time or using my phone as a hotspot. I don't currently have unlimited data on my IPhone.
I just did this today. Once I check the internet box after 5-10 seconds the ATT WiFi hotspot site popped up.

It went to this site:
https://myvehicle.att.com/#/signup/trial/contact-info
      06-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

I just did this today. Once I check the internet box after 5-10 seconds the ATT WiFi hotspot site popped up.

It went to this site:
Thanks!
I'm trying this.
Where did you find your "vehicle mobile number"?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

It went to this site:
Thanks!
I'm trying this.
It was automatic. It popped up like connecting to a public hotspot. Then I just followed the instructions.
      06-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

It went to this site:
Thanks!
I'm trying this.
It was automatic. It popped up like connecting to a public hotspot. Then I just followed the instructions.
Mine finally did this too, but it wasn't long until it stopped working again. My phone shows that it is connected, but websites won't load now.
If you could let me know if it works consistently for you over several days. I'm wondering if you or others are also having issues with consistency.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #9
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Tried setting mine up when I got the car, and AT&T made the experience about user UNfriendly as they possibly could. Nothing worked in the registration process and the customer service phone rep was useless. I gave up. Now that I’m seeing it’s just a 3G service anyway, glad I did...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Just 3G? Yikes. First I've heard of that, and that wouldn't be good, especially with 5G coming out end of this year and into next.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Just 3G? Yikes. First I've heard of that, and that wouldn't be good, especially with 5G coming out end of this year and into next.
I highly doubt it's just 3G. BMW has been offering 4LTE for years now on their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I don't currently have unlimited data on my IPhone.
There's no nice way to say this, so forgive me, but anyone who drives an X7 that either didn't negotiate his mobile contract properly or says he can't afford an unlimited data plan here in 2019.....

Call your carrier. Get a UDP. And that's the end of that. If you're with Verizon you may have a problem streaming and making a phone call at the same time, that used to be an issue with their technology, others may chime in on that point. AT&T and all other carriers are easy peasy. Flip one switch on your handset and multiple kids can stream multiple videos on their multiple devices, no BMW slow-tech hotspot needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I grew up with nothing and wasn't handed a thing. Yet right now I have absolutely zero debt and lots of money in the market
As far as your comment on my ability to negotiate my mobile phone plan.
1.) it is Verizon because in my experience they have the best coverage
And
2.) my current plan has served me just fine, and its not that I can't afford unlimited.
No idea what brought on that response, but just so that it’s helpful for others in the future who stumble onto this thread can you tell us what it would cost you to add unlimited data to one of your Verizon devices per month and how much you pay per month for BMW in car streaming? Thanks.

Last edited by toddwalton; 06-24-2019 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:07 AM   #14
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
No idea what brought on that response, but just so that it’s helpful for others in the future who stumble onto this thread can you tell us what it would cost you to add unlimited data to one of your Verizon devices per month and how much you pay per month for BMW in car streaming? Thanks.
It's his personal choice not to go to unlimited data. I respect that. No need to judge. It's not a question of money sometimes.

I have Google Fi so I don't really have the so called "unlimited data" either. But my plan does include functions that I need so I don't any any desire to change, either.

The wifi in the X7 is a mess though.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:25 AM   #15
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

I added the X7 to my data plan (AT&T) I believe $20/month, unlimited. When my boys get in, their iPads connect, and off they go. I've never had a complaint from them about game playing, streaming from YouTube, etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Agreed.
It is a personal decision.
Just like buying an X7 is a personal decision.
You don't have to be "rich" to own an X7... and I certainly wouldn't make an assumption that someone is "rich" because they are driving one. I could probably purchase any car under the sun if I truly wanted to... but I certainly don't have unlimited financial means. I am not trying to project in image of wealth...I just love the car myself...my wife on the other hand who has the same financial means as me does not give a hoot about her car or mine as long as it is clean, reliable, and gets her and our family from point A to point B in relative comfort. So, she drives a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. She could buy a Rolls or Bentley if she wanted, but like he said...this is a personal choice too, and says almost nothing about one's wealth.

I gotta look into that GoogleFi... thanks for mentioning that. I know it's only $20 more for unlimited.. but than I am relying on the presence of my phone and I have enough switches to flip, buckles to do up, water bottles to hold, snacks to carry, etc etc..... waiting for the seat to automatically move forward is not a big deal for me ..Especially because of that nice tip to pop off those easily pop off those armrests (thanks pipe!).
That worked like a charm.
Appreciate 1
xueju1121618.50
      06-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed.
It is a personal decision.
Just like buying an X7 is a personal decision.
You don't have to be "rich" to own an X7... and I certainly wouldn't make an assumption that someone is "rich" because they are driving one. I could probably purchase any car under the sun if I truly wanted to... but I certainly don't have unlimited financial means. I am not trying to project in image of wealth...I just love the car myself...my wife on the other hand who has the same financial means as me does not give a hoot about her car or mine as long as it is clean, reliable, and gets her and our family from point A to point B in relative comfort. So, she drives a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. She could buy a Rolls or Bentley if she wanted, but like he said...this is a personal choice too, and says almost nothing about one's wealth.

I gotta look into that GoogleFi... thanks for mentioning that. I know it's only $20 more for unlimited.. but than I am relying on the presence of my phone and I have enough switches to flip, buckles to do up, water bottles to hold, snacks to carry, etc etc..... waiting for the seat to automatically move forward is not a big deal for me ..Especially because of that nice tip to pop off those easily pop off those armrests (thanks pipe!).
That worked like a charm.
Google Fi works for me perfectly because it has no international roaming fee and I travel abroad like, a lot. Also, same high speed LTE internet no matter if you are in Hong Kong, Tokyo or the US, for the same price, which is a huge bonus for me, as well.

Glad that you like your X7!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I think it comes with 3GB of data, the connection speed is LTE.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #19
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

What is the function of the Wi-Fi hotspot if you don’t enable the internet option?

I understand you can connect your phone to the car via Wi-Fi, but purely for what? Better audio transmission than Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #20
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
What is the function of the Wi-Fi hotspot if you don’t enable the internet option?

I understand you can connect your phone to the car via Wi-Fi, but purely for what? Better audio transmission than Bluetooth?
CarPlay uses it.
      06-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #21
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
CarPlay uses it.
So is it for better quality playback? Wi-Fi isn’t necessary for CarPlay, as I used it yesterday via Bluetooth only (Wi-Fi option in the car was not yet enabled) / though I though quality sounded poor.

I enabled it last night before turning the car off so I’ll listen some more.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #22
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
So is it for better quality playback? Wi-Fi isn’t necessary for CarPlay, as I used it yesterday via Bluetooth only (Wi-Fi option in the car was not yet enabled) / though I though quality sounded poor.

I enabled it last night before turning the car off so I’ll listen some more.
yes - BT audio is compressed and flat. CarPlay audio uses wifi and audio quality is much much better. Huge differnece when you toggle back and forth by switching between Carplay and BMW connect (or what ever the other option is)

BTW, Caplay does use wifi. (not wifi internet - that's different). Click on "Mobile Devices" and if you see the three curved lines (standard wifi single symbol) in white then you phone connected to the car wifi - even if you have not enabled wfi internet.

Last edited by dmann33; 06-26-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0