BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum RRSC vs. X7...

06-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #1
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Exclamation RRSC vs. X7...

Has anyone on here cross-shopped the two? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I owned the former before stepping into the latter. The RRSC is at the end of its life cycle. Reason number 1 to stay away.

Beyond that I’ll say that only Fiat/Chrysler is lower on JD Power surveys than Land Rover. The things I’ve personally had go wrong with a Range Rover (03,08, and 14 model years) you wouldn’t believe. Reliability is a huge, huge issue. People used to always warn me about that. I didn’t care. I put up with it cause it was worth it to me. The reason for that is that in years past there was no substitute for the range. Really special interior, perch, exterior. The G wagen achieves something similar but isn’t as comfortable. Now, however, I think the X7 kitted appropriately achieves what the RR has for decades. I expect the X7 to eat away at RR sales more than the GLS and q7.

Just my take. Mind you I don’t off road any more but if the X7 is inferior to the Range in that regard (it is I’m guessing) it might matter to you and othersZ something to consider
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
Penguino1603.50
      06-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Yeah, I did exactly that. Put down a deposit on a RR - but not the SC, rather the P400e Long Wheelbase (2L engine with a hybrid battery). It was a decision long in the making but there really were no other alternatives at the time. (Just FYI the SuperCharged version here would cost USD300K extra!). Anyway, along came the X7 in the motor show while I am in the 6 month wait for my British Racing Green range to be built. The only version on sale here is the M50d. Basically I was hoping that the X7 could give me everything the rangie did with the benefit of a monster engine.

Being honest, the kudos isn't quite the same, but the practicality is off the charts in comparison. The X7 does everything we need and more. The only regret is that they didn't spec the ventilated seats (we take the version that BMW Thailand spec unless you go to the grey market and then have warranty worries....).

So, my circumstances/reasoning may be very different - but I'm glad I made the choice I did.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      06-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Being honest, the kudos isn't quite the same, but the practicality is off the charts in comparison. The X7 does everything we need and more..
What do you mean about the kudos not being the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Thank you all for the input and insight... If anyone has any more to add I would appreciate the additional feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
What do you mean about the kudos not being the same?
Kudos is relative and a personal perception thing - but when it comes to cars of this type and size, the LR/RR brand appears to me to have a little more prestige associated with it. This is partly due to the fact I'm from the UK I suppose and partly down to their history associated with this market sector. Prior to the X7 appearing on the market, there was nothing else I would have considered other than the RR. The GLS/Q7/G Wagon etc just don't do it for me. Its a testament to the X7 that it changed my mind and kept me in the BMW family.

Feel free to disagree! Tell me the BMW brand in this space has more kudos and a stronger brand than LR.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Kudos is relative and a personal perception thing - but when it comes to cars of this type and size, the LR/RR brand appears to me to have a little more prestige associated with it. This is partly due to the fact I'm from the UK I suppose and partly down to their history associated with this market sector. Prior to the X7 appearing on the market, there was nothing else I would have considered other than the RR. The GLS/Q7/G Wagon etc just don't do it for me. Its a testament to the X7 that it changed my mind and kept me in the BMW family.

Feel free to disagree! Tell me the BMW brand in this space has more kudos and a stronger brand than LR.
I just wasn’t sure if you were referring to kudos as in reviews, kudos as in compliments from others, or just the kudos of your personal preference. I see what you meant now. The RR brand has never been aesthetically pleasing to me, but they definitely have a large fan base, so they must be doing something right.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:

Completely agree the Range was without peer. May still be true to most. For me, like you, I think the x7 achieves what the Range historically has and I think those two vehicles sit alone in their own little subset of vehicle. At least until the next gen Range arrives
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

That is the whole thing... I have owned several LR/RR products over the years and of course the same with BMW however X7 is here and available now but new body... the RR just came out with a refresh but will have a new body soon. I am not keen on rolling the dice on either "first year" edition but curious who has shopped the two and what swayed them one way or another. From my brief experience in the X7 I get the feeling that BMW took what made the full size RR popular and then revised what people disliked about the GL/GLS and found themselves with what we now have as the X7. On paper or in theory that is fantastic but I would hate to be a real world beta-tester at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Range rover supercharged and X7 are two total different cars. Not sure who would cross shop a 3 row 7 seat with the 5 seat range rover. Prestige and off road pedigree/history (for those who off road) cant be matched by X7. Mountain Goat vs soccer mom/ grocery getter. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #11
BlueBMWM5CP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Marina Bay

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post
Range rover supercharged and X7 are two total different cars. Not sure who would cross shop a 3 row 7 seat with the 5 seat range rover. Prestige and off road pedigree/history (for those who off road) cant be matched by X7. Mountain Goat vs soccer mom/ grocery getter. Sorry
Quote:
I have owned 2 RR they are very nice and may be mountain goats but you better travel with a mechanic in the back seat lol!

A proper spec X7 M Sport loaded is very impressive going to give one a try soon waiting for the 2020 model year
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      07-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Im a huge RR fan but you’re kidding yourself if you think that vehicle isn’t for moms/dads. 5 vs 7 seats means nothing seeing as though they fold flat. .0000005 % of RR sold in US are driven off road, that’s just a fact. Less true abroad

Bmw with 22s and M sport visually is right there with RR and interior is as well.

Plus, you know, bmw is an actual company that can keep struts from failing prematurely, air suspension from farting out, seat belts from breaking, stuff you don’t expect to fail in a corolla
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Im a huge RR fan but you’re kidding yourself if you think that vehicle isn’t for moms/dads. 5 vs 7 seats means nothing seeing as though they fold flat. .0000005 % of RR sold in US are driven off road, that’s just a fact. Less true abroad

Bmw with 22s and M sport visually is right there with RR and interior is as well.

Plus, you know, bmw is an actual company that can keep struts from failing prematurely, air suspension from farting out, seat belts from breaking, stuff you don’t expect to fail in a corolla
I respectfully disagree....its .0000004% and I have the data to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I got a little carried away there !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who would cross shop a 3 row 7 seat with the 5 seat range rover.
I would wager many people... If you need the size but not the third row. I have owned LR4, Q7 and GLS in the past and didn't buy them because of the third row.

Quote:

In line with the amount of people who track or use their Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or even their M cars for what they were designed to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
ppagiga
Major
Rep

I’d also add that a standard wheel base RRSC has less max legroom in the second row than the X7. Something to consider if you need a 4 or 5 seater most of the time
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

That is because the length of the X7 is similar to the RR/LWB and the legroom difference is about 3/4" on paper compared to the SWB however it does add 7.3" of rear legroom when you opt for the LWB.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Quote:
Not sure I accept the "soccer mom" analogy. Our primary criteria going in was ride comfort, and in that respect there truly is no comparison between the two. The 3rd row was a bonus, but truthfully, we'll maybe use it twice a year, if that often.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      07-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #19
Metal man
Private
Rep

Range Rover supercharged/autobiography is a status symbol the X7 will never be.
Appreciate 1
bjcarls458.50
      07-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #20
Metal man
Private
Rep

Plus, you know, bmw is an actual company that can keep struts from failing prematurely, air suspension from farting out, seat belts from breaking, stuff you don’t expect to fail in a corolla[/QUOTE]

Yes. Some have issues. you didn’t mention the engine though because the 5.0 jaguar supercharged V8 is for sure hands down way more reliable than the bmw engine.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      07-02-2019, 05:18 AM   #21
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:

Yes. Some have issues. you didn’t mention the engine though because the 5.0 jaguar supercharged V8 is for sure hands down way more reliable than the bmw engine.[/QUOTE]

No doubt BMW has had some engine gremlins over the years. A disproportionately large number vs other companies, it seems. Fortunately for me neither company’s engines have given me issues. I’ve never given pause before buying a BMW because of the engine. When I own a LR the constant question rattling around my brain is “what will go wrong next?”. In that regard ownership is an entertaining endeavor because the brand never ceases to amaze me with what goes wrong that shouldn’t.

Re autobiography, that hole in the lineup is easily remedied by BMW with the intro of a more expensive and exclusive model. Maybe it will be as effective as the AB, maybe not. All in the execution, I guess
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #22
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Sooo when is the x8 coming? Haha
Appreciate 0