BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum M40i Badge and M Performance Carbon steering wheel! X7 40i

09-30-2019, 03:16 AM   #1
Upper_Echelon
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Exclamation M40i Badge and M Performance Carbon steering wheel! X7 40i

Hey all,

This is my first ever post.

I've ordered an X7 40i (carbon black) about 6 months ago and it's practically full option apart from the off-roading capabilities and towing option.

I went with the M Sport look and I chose to get a BMW M Performance Alcantara steering wheel with carbon fibre trim and race display. Has anyone done this before?

Moreover, an engineer at BMW told me to go with the M40i chromium badge at the back of the car replacing the 'x drive 40i' badge. Any advise if I should consider this?

I know a lot of people will tell me that an X7 is not a sport car bla bla but I always go with an aggressive look with all my cars. It will be the first X7 to be delivered in Mauritius and it will be on the island within the next few days, can't wait to show you guys !
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Congrats, man! We're very interested to see what you're doing with your wheel, as nobody here had done that yet.

As far as the badge on the back, a couple companies are offering aftermarket replacements in chrome and black. It's just a matter of taste. I will be going for the stormtrooper/blacked out look, so I'll probably replace my badges with black ones.

Yes, we want pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Lost me at "M40i" badge

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Did you put an m40i engine in at as well? 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
Did you put an m40i engine in at as well? 😂
Ughhh......it's a sad day when even the 'engineer' is recommending false rebadging.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Awesome enjoy!! Most car enthusiasts do not favor badging that is not what the car is. Yes it's an m-sport, but that is appearance package. BMW themselves have caused all this confusion. The thing is, people who aren't enthusiasts won't know what m40i means anyhow. The real enthusiasts will just laugh to themselves. Yours will likely come with M badges on the front fenders anyhow. At least that is what they used to do with the foreign models.

Enjoy the new car! Post some pictures with interesting scenery in the background!
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I'm interested in a different steering wheel myself but in no way could I do Alcantara. My oily paws would ruin it in no time.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Upper_Echelon
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Congrats, man! We're very interested to see what you're doing with your wheel, as nobody here had done that yet.

As far as the badge on the back, a couple companies are offering aftermarket replacements in chrome and black. It's just a matter of taste. I will be going for the stormtrooper/blacked out look, so I'll probably replace my badges with black ones.

Yes, we want pics!
Thanks man!

I'll try to find some other aftermarket badges as well.

As for the wheel it's coming with '21" M double spoke 754 Bi Colour ' but two other X7 wheel sets are coming along on the boat; BMW gave me the flexibility to choose in person so i'll update you soon with pictures !
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
Upper_Echelon
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Awesome enjoy!! Most car enthusiasts do not favor badging that is not what the car is. Yes it's an m-sport, but that is appearance package. BMW themselves have caused all this confusion. The thing is, people who aren't enthusiasts won't know what m40i means anyhow. The real enthusiasts will just laugh to themselves. Yours will likely come with M badges on the front fenders anyhow. At least that is what they used to do with the foreign models.

Enjoy the new car! Post some pictures with interesting scenery in the background!
Thanks a lot for clarifying this!

I will definitely not go with the M40i badge at the back, lack of professionalism at BMW for suggesting this.

And yes there will be M badges on the front fenders.

Stay tune for the pictures
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Upper_Echelon did you get your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:48 AM   #11
Upper_Echelon
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Upper_Echelon did you get your car?
Boat got delayed apparently. It's arriving on the island on the 15th of November. I'll update you guys soon !
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      11-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

I've never rebadged any of my cars before and while I used to think that's so stupid when I was younger it is all up to you. If you like it then just go for it....I definitely don't think it's stupid anymore because the m meaning as demolished in value tremendously for me.

I don't get why everyone gets so upset when people rebadge... If BMW can do it why can't an individual? M50i? What's the difference between this and a 50i besides a small tune and exhaust? If op gets tune and exhaust does he get the ok from you guys to put the m badge on?

Just saying it's not like he is putting on x7m... Just m40i lol... I would say do it but definitely no to the alcantara steering wheel as I have heard from many people with it say don't do it unless you are willing to replace every year lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
I don't get why everyone gets so upset when people rebadge... If BMW can do it why can't an individual? M50i? What's the difference between this and a 50i besides a small tune and exhaust? If op gets tune and exhaust does he get the ok from you guys to put the m badge on?
No matter how many modifications you put into a car it will never be what it wasn’t when it was manufactured. Try to throw some Yenko decals on a non-Yenko and see if you can sell for the same price as an original. It’s the grass is always greener mentality. Why not just be happy with what you have and stop trying to make it into something it’s not?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
OuaAia
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX400h, LCJ200,

I'm not a huge fan of the font that the "X7" comes in for the M50i. I'm thinking about swapping the trunk emblem for the one they have on IND.

Our car is on order so I'm waiting for delivery to see how it actually looks in the wild and whether it would look asymmetrical if we replaced it- I think they are different sizes.

It shouldn't matter, and I can't believe how much time I've spent on these details. But the vehicle is at a price point where little things can nag at you if they're not right for your preferred aesthetic. It makes sense to me to tweak it for the way you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
No matter how many modifications you put into a car it will never be what it wasn’t when it was manufactured. Try to throw some Yenko decals on a non-Yenko and see if you can sell for the same price as an original. It’s the grass is always greener mentality. Why not just be happy with what you have and stop trying to make it into something it’s not?
by that logic you should go ahead and rip off the bmw logos and xdrivex40i once you modify because it is no longer how it came from the factory lol...and that really goes for anything you buy then modify to make it a little better to your liking.

js if he wants to just take the xdrive off and put on an M in front of the 40i i just dont see how that is that big of a deal...again its not like hes putting on an M after the x7...and again if he wants to do it then go ahead...its his car, but yes there will be those critics that have nothing else to worry about that will tell you that its the worse thing you could possibly do because now you are a poser lol.

again i used to be one of those people that threw up everytime i saw someone put on an M badge on a non M car, but then I grew older and realized who cares lol.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
by that logic you should go ahead and rip off the bmw logos and xdrivex40i once you modify because it is no longer how it came from the factory lol...and that really goes for anything you buy then modify to make it a little better to your liking.

js if he wants to just take the xdrive off and put on an M in front of the 40i i just dont see how that is that big of a deal...again its not like hes putting on an M after the x7...and again if he wants to do it then go ahead...its his car, but yes there will be those critics that have nothing else to worry about that will tell you that its the worse thing you could possibly do because now you are a poser lol.

again i used to be one of those people that threw up everytime i saw someone put on an M badge on a non M car, but then I grew older and realized who cares lol.
Yeah that logic isn’t even in the same ballpark as what I posted. You can do whatever you want. I could care less but don’t start calling it what it’s not unless you want to be called out on it. You don’t seem to care if someone calls you a poser or a wanna be so why don’t you throw some Ferrari emblems on while your at it. The more the merrier! Who cares ...right?

Do you even own a G05/G07?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that logic isn’t even in the same ballpark as what I posted. You can do whatever you want. I could care less but don’t start calling it what it’s not unless you want to be called out on it. You don’t seem to care if someone calls you a poser or a wanna be so why don’t you throw some Ferrari emblems on while your at it. The more the merrier! Who cares ...right?

Do you even own a G05/G07?
again once you start modifying it is no longer what you bought right? so you shouldnt call it a bmw or an x7 since its no longer how you bought it from the factory...it is most definitely in the same ballpark of what you are saying. again its not something that i would ever do but if someone else wants to do it who cares? why are you worrying about it? if they want to put ferrari on it fine...it would look funny and definitely be entertaining but is it really that big of a deal to you? does it hurt your feelings or something?

I dont yet own a g07 but am in the market for my wife which is why i am in this forum looking for information, but even if i didnt who cares? is it against the rules to comment in this forum if you dont own a g07? is it frowned upon?
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

I think you should only rebadge to something totally absurd. Like the c280 benz driver rebadging to c1000 implying a 10L engine.

consider m4000i

jk, do what you want. why give a sh*t what any of us think about what you do with your car
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #19
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
again once you start modifying it is no longer what you bought right? so you shouldnt call it a bmw or an x7 since its no longer how you bought it from the factory...it is most definitely in the same ballpark of what you are saying. again its not something that i would ever do but if someone else wants to do it who cares? why are you worrying about it? if they want to put ferrari on it fine...it would look funny and definitely be entertaining but is it really that big of a deal to you? does it hurt your feelings or something?

I dont yet own a g07 but am in the market for my wife which is why i am in this forum looking for information, but even if i didnt who cares? is it against the rules to comment in this forum if you dont own a g07? is it frowned upon?
Completely wrong. "No matter how many modifications you put into a car it will never be what it wasn’t when it was manufactured." I said quite the opposite.

Does it bother me you ask? I guess I would say yes to that question because I don't understand why that person isnt happy with what they own. Does it bother me in the ...arghhh I want to beat that person up? Nope. It bothers me in the ...awww I feel sorry for that person because they're trying to be something they're not.

Last edited by BMWBear; 02-03-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Completely wrong. "No matter how many modifications you put into a car it will never be what it wasn’t when it was manufactured." I said quite the opposite.

Doesn't bother me you ask? I guess I would say yes to that question because I don't understand why that person isnt happy with what they own. Does it bother me in the ...arghhh I want to beat that person up? Nope. It bothers me in the ...awww I feel sorry for that person because they're trying to be something they're not.
are you sure you dont feel bad because you have a m50i and you dont want others to imitate what you have? you just want to show your superiority to others and its either you are on this level or you are not, but dont imitate.

i get you probably worked hard to get where you are but dont you feel good that others are trying to be like you even if it is only by imitation? i dont know...just thought you would be too busy to worry (get bothered) about these types of issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you sure you dont feel bad because you have a m50i and you dont want others to imitate what you have? you just want to show your superiority to others and its either you are on this level or you are not, but dont imitate.

i get you probably worked hard to get where you are but dont you feel good that others are trying to be like you even if it is only by imitation? i dont know...just thought you would be too busy to worry (get bothered) about these types of issues.
Again wrong. The only person that knows I bought it is my wife. I drive a Wrangler so the X7 is strictly for family. My wife is pregnant so the lifted Wrangler just isn’t cutting it.

Good luck with your purchase. One thing I am better than is this conversation. I’m out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again wrong. The only person that knows I bought it is my wife. I drive a Wrangler so the X7 is strictly for family. My wife is pregnant so the lifted Wrangler just isn’t cutting it.

Good luck with your purchase. One thing I am better than is this conversation. I’m out.
Sorry didn't even mean it that way... It was a question if you need to show your superiority. Also I don't see why you are comparing arguments as if this was an actual argument.

Not sure how old you are but I'm assuming you are on the younger side...I think you will understand later that these issues you are arguing about are really not that important.

Good luck with life
Appreciate 0