BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 height problems after tire change

11-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
azndailo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

X7 height problems after tire change

After changing my 22 inch tires to 21 winter tires, I have a height problem and it doesn’t resume the normal height that is driveable. I then try to replace it back with the original ones but still the same issue. There is like 1/8” of a gap between the wheel well and the tire. If someone knows how to reset the height, please let me know. This would be the same situation as if I got a flat and change it to my spare but become real low that even the iDrive tells me I can’t drive it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Did you disable the air suspension when changing? Manual says to press and hold air suspension switch up or down for 7 seconds do disable air suspension. Try to hold switch for 7 seconds to re-enable it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
balasa0731
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 640GT

I'm not sure how the new idrive menu is set up, but there is a tire settings button under vehicle status/tire pressure where you can change the wheel/tire size. I think that might help the system recognizing your new set up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndailo View Post
After changing my 22 inch tires to 21 winter tires, I have a height problem and it doesn’t resume the normal height that is driveable. I then try to replace it back with the original ones but still the same issue. There is like 1/8” of a gap between the wheel well and the tire. If someone knows how to reset the height, please let me know. This would be the same situation as if I got a flat and change it to my spare but become real low that even the iDrive tells me I can’t drive it. Thanks!
Sorry about your height adjustment issues. I hope you have the issue resolved. Can you share how you resolved it. I also have a few other questions as I have the 22 inch wheels and have 21 inch with winter tires coming next week

1. I heard the 22 inch wheels are very heavy and hard to take off the car. Is this the case?

2. Did you have to use a centering tool to mount the 21 inch wheels?

3. Does the X7 have lug nuts or screw in bolts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
azndailo
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE:
I had to tow it to BMW Service as I couldn’t get the height back to driveable conditions. They told me they change my wheels to the winter ones, reset the lift system and it came back without an issue. He also told me the key thing was to change all 4 tires so the system is able to recognize the changes and adapt to the new settings. I don’t know how true this is but I guess I’ll find out in the spring time when I change it back to the 22s. As for SWISSGUY here are the answers to your questions:

a) The wheels are heavy but you can do it with one person using proper body mechanics. The wheels weren’t hard to take off. Once you unscrewed all the bolts it came right off

b) I did not use a centering tool to mount the wheels

C) X7 came with screw in bolts

Hope this helps and if you can provide some feedback when you go thru with it, that is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much. I will provide feedback when I get the new wheels, hopefully is a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

I wish i had read this post earlier. I just changed to winters and didnt deactivate the air suspension before changing. Got some chassis control warning messages after i finished. Fortunately after a short drive and a few restarts it seems fine now.

The wheels are heavy- suggest getting wheel hanger studs. They made the job a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
I wish i had read this post earlier. I just changed to winters and didnt deactivate the air suspension before changing. Got some chassis control warning messages after i finished. Fortunately after a short drive and a few restarts it seems fine now.

The wheels are heavy- suggest getting wheel hanger studs. They made the job a lot easier.
Did you torque the wheel bolts and if so to what value?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I used 105ft lb which is just around 140nm. According to wheel-size.com (which i have used as a fitment guide) it seems 140nm is the recommended torque for x5 and x7.

There are countless threads on here about 88 ft lb but it seems that only applies to bmw coupes/sedans.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where did you purchase the wheel hanger studs?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Where did you purchase the wheel hanger studs?

Thanks
Just off amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Checkered-Fla...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      12-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What a shame...BMW use to include a wheel pin in the trunk/tailgate "toolkit"... but that's now gone away, too.

{wheel pin is 2nd tool from top on far right side in this pic of my old 1995 e34 525iT}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Official BMW procedure here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...els/1VndBFm5df

A bit long winded procedure for a very simple/routine job, but when you get to the bottom of the page, the torque spec is 140 nm

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Did you disable the air suspension when changing? Manual says to press and hold air suspension switch up or down for 7 seconds do disable air suspension. Try to hold switch for 7 seconds to re-enable it.

I held the switch in both the up and the down positions for more than seven seconds and nothing ever happened - the light stayed on and the system never activated, so I gave up and took the car and wheels to the local tire dealer where they put the car on a lift and changed the wheels out....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I held the switch in both the up and the down positions for more than seven seconds and nothing ever happened - the light stayed on and the system never activated, so I gave up and took the car and wheels to the local tire dealer where they put the car on a lift and changed the wheels out....
Sounds like you have an issue with your particular vehicle or the software/firmware. I tried this just the other day for testing.

Here's the procedure I followed that worked several times as I repeated it several times.

One of two options:

Push AND HOLD the center console ride height switch either "FORWARD" or "AFT" and hold it there for 7 seconds. One one thousand... two one thousand... three one thousand..., etc. Until you've reached "Seven One Thousand". Then release the switch.

The green ride level LED should now extinguish and remain off. If you push the switch forward or aft "Briefly" after you've performed this procedure you should get a message on the navigation screen stating that the ride height function is currently unavailable.

Repeating the procedure by either pressing and holding the ride height switch forward or aft for 7 seconds will re enable the ride height switch. You'll know if the procedure was successful or not when the green ride height LED again glows green.

I too struggled with this initially until I followed the instructions "Explicitly".

If you still have problems with this after following these instructions try pressing and holding the "Audio" Volume/Power button for 30 seconds which will reboot the iDrive system. Then try the ride height disabling procedure by pressing the ride height switch again for the seven seconds after the reboot.

If this procedure doesn't fix the problem then it's time to schedule a service appointment to resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
azndailo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Sounds like you have an issue with your particular vehicle or the software/firmware. I tried this just the other day for testing.

Here's the procedure I followed that worked several times as I repeated it several times.

One of two options:

Push AND HOLD the center console ride height switch either "FORWARD" or "AFT" and hold it there for 7 seconds. One one thousand... two one thousand... three one thousand..., etc. Until you've reached "Seven One Thousand". Then release the switch.

The green ride level LED should now extinguish and remain off. If you push the switch forward or aft "Briefly" after you've performed this procedure you should get a message on the navigation screen stating that the ride height function is currently unavailable.

Repeating the procedure by either pressing and holding the ride height switch forward or aft for 7 seconds will re enable the ride height switch. You'll know if the procedure was successful or not when the green ride height LED again glows green.

I too struggled with this initially until I followed the instructions "Explicitly".

If you still have problems with this after following these instructions try pressing and holding the "Audio" Volume/Power button for 30 seconds which will reboot the iDrive system. Then try the ride height disabling procedure by pressing the ride height switch again for the seven seconds after the reboot.

If this procedure doesn't fix the problem then it's time to schedule a service appointment to resolve the issue.

I'm planning on swapping back my performance tires, have you tried this method out? Do I need to place the height of the vehicle to highest since there is a height difference between the two tires? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #17
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I'm planning on swapping back my performance tires, have you tried this method out? Do I need to place the height of the vehicle to highest since there is a height difference between the two tires? Thank you!
I'm not sure as I haven't changed the tires yet. I would just give it a shot. While parked raise the vehicle to it's highest point. Then press and hold the ride height button for 7 seconds. You will find out then whether or not it stays at that height or lowers it to one of the other positions.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #18
azndailo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to provide an update, I had follow the instructions in the forum and am happy to report that all went well without an issue. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to provide an update, I had follow the instructions in the forum and am happy to report that all went well without an issue. Thank you all.
Mine went well after the software update. Prior to the update the procedure would not work at all no matter what I tried. The BMW dealer updated the I-Drive software to version 03/2020.24 last week.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #20
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Quote:
Just an fyi - your tires sizes (although different rims 20, 21 or 22) will have the same overall rolling circumference so tire height should be the same (as your speedo/odo runs off this circumference setting).

Differences in tire height can definitely mess up an all wheel drive system.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #21
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I had some warranty done and a wheel got scratched. They said give us a couple of days and we'll get it fixed. So picked up the car right at closing time and also in a hurry to get back home only to feel like I'm higher than I normally am when driving. I should have taken my time to look things over. Then about a mile away from the dealership I get an error about Chassis. Pull over, it goes away. Drive off...it comes back. I get home only to realize that I can't raise my vehicle any higher even though it's on the middle line. It can go down though. I went down one notch and the front wheel well it super close to the tire. I bet if I went all the way down it would touch. So I stop bring it back to the middle. So basically the rear end is on the highest setting and the front is lower. Obviously they didn't disable the air suspension before they took off the tire or something like that. I did try to disable then re-enable the air suspension but that didn't do anything. Another fricking trip to the dealership. Tired of it. I love the vehicle but hate the incompetence at the service area. Lexus is king here. Why can't BMW do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #22
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

This is what they said on the repair sheet…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0