E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 rear-ended, question (pics)

10-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #23
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Nikki never jokes. The E90 does indeed have adaptive break lights. During a "panic stop" or otherwise heavy depression of the brake pedal, your brake lights will double in intensity. This is designed to let those behind you know you mean business (or really just to jar them from their daydream). Of course when the person behind you is not leaving enough distance for proper reaction time (as 99.9% of Americans don't), it's a moot point.

I just like saying "moot".

LedZep, leave the verbosity for Squawks!!

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nikki never jokes.

How about it Nikki, do you EVER joke?

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #25
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Damn, that totally sucks (LedZep you too). Dealer plate and everything...I bet her co-worker won't hear the end of it, what are the odds. Did the airbags go off?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
borahatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
Damn, that totally sucks (LedZep you too). Dealer plate and everything...I bet her co-worker won't hear the end of it, what are the odds. Did the airbags go off?
No, the airbags didn't deploy. Thank God the accident wasn't serious enough for airbags to be used.
Tint
20" Axis Mods/Nitto 555 245/35 front 275/30 rear
Injen CAI
DVD player
Savv mirror with 5 inch LCD monitor
5.8 inch Phoenix Gold headrest monitors
White LED interior bulbs
White LED lic plate bulbs
LED rear turn signals
Sidemarker blinker mod w/ Amber LED
More to come!
My G
Myspace
Sister's car: 2006 Monaco Blue 330i, Sport, Premium, iDrive, Steptronic , Active Steering, Comfort Access, Chrome stlye: 162, Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:41 AM   #27
CA330i
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by borahatch
Thanks for all the quick replies. And thanks for the welcome! This site is great and I spend almost more time here than the G35 forums lol. LEDZEP, sorry to hear about your car. It truely sucks when things like this happen. She just got her car back. It was at the BMW dealer for over a month for some frame damage after she nicked a curb. One week out, and this... But no one was hurt and cars can be fixed.
I'm glad your sister is ok! Frame damage after nicking a curb? This makes me nervous - can you elaborate? Also, make sure she inspects the front end carefully. With all the crumple zones in cars today, sometimes the front can sustain damage even in a rear-ender.
      10-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #28
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

The thing I notice about most rear-end collisions is that there's usually permanent leakage, especially if the trunk evinces damage. I'd hose the car down all over and then inspect the insides for any leaking drops. German cars are most likely better engineered and built to brook quite a bit of impact than their Japanese competitors. Most Japanese cars suffer copious leaking that's nearly impossible to fix, even by a seasoned body shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:50 AM   #29
borahatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA330i
I'm glad your sister is ok! Frame damage after nicking a curb? This makes me nervous - can you elaborate? Also, make sure she inspects the front end carefully. With all the crumple zones in cars today, sometimes the front can sustain damage even in a rear-ender.
Thanks. She was driving down the street (30-40mph), and dropped something in the passenger foot-well, she went to pick it up and as she came up, she noticed she was nearing a curb (the type that divide streets), she cut the wheel hard to the right. Her front left rim brushed the curb and her back left hit it pretty hard. The left rear rim and tire had all sorts of negative camber after the impact. We took it to the BMW dealer and they said it had frame damage. That's as much as I know about that, lol.
Tint
Injen CAI
DVD player
White LED interior bulbs
LED rear turn signals
More to come!
My G
Myspace
Sister's car: 2006 Monaco Blue 330i, Sport, Premium, iDrive, Steptronic , Active Steering, Comfort Access, Chrome stlye: 162, Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:55 AM   #30
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Nikki never jokes. The E90 does indeed have adaptive break lights. During a "panic stop" or otherwise heavy depression of the brake pedal, your brake lights will double in intensity. This is designed to let those behind you know you mean business (or really just to jar them from their daydream). Of course when the person behind you is not leaving enough distance for proper reaction time (as 99.9% of Americans don't), it's a moot point.

I just like saying "moot".
Holy crap. I didn't even know thing like that exist. thats awesome.

btw, sorry for getting off topic. I just had to find that out.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #31
Mikey3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90..... soon....

these pictures make me cry.....

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #32
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

seeing these pics is getting me worried even more...my 325i is coming and i dont want this to happen to my first BMW, never ever!
325i Arctics M-Sport, Gray Leather with Alu Trim, ///M DCT Paddleshift, ///M Gear Knob, BBS LM-R 19", Michelin PS2, KW V2, H&R Anti Roll Bars, BMW Performance Air Intake System, 3D Front Lip, ACS Roof Spoiler, OEM Boot Spoiler, Osram 6000K, Brex White Ring, PIAA 6200K HID Fog, PIAA License Plate LED, BMS Powerbox
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #33
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
How about it Nikki, do you EVER joke?
I joke, but not about technical things, about people.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #34
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer325
seeing these pics is getting me worried even more...my 325i is coming and i dont want this to happen to my first BMW, never ever!

I bought my FIRST ever BMW last May 31st, 2004. A black manual. I drove it for a week, went on vacation for another week, and then got rear ended as the last part of a three car fender bender in traffic. It jarred me and required a $444 paint job. Broke my heart for sure.

But then, March 10th, I was rear ended hard at a red light, and I said above, it was 10k to fix it. I sold it a month later.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #35
grahamstine
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your accident. I had my 2006 330i three weeks and some guys ran into the side of my car. Man I was bummed to say the least. I beleive it was his fault however that is to be determined by the insurance company. It was in a parking lot, nobody else saw it, and no tickets were issued. Now the guy has neck pains. It's rediculous. That's why insurance is so high, is cause of jerks like that. If I am found not at fault, I will most certainly go after diminished value. My car is currently in the shop getting both passenger side doors replaced. I just wanted my car fixed....not have to deal with this crap. It's a car though, it can be fixed. The parts will be hard to get since they are so new, but it will look and drive like new. Sorry again and good luck with the insurance. I just went ahead and paid my deducatable so I could get it fixed...hopefully I will be reembursed. That is my advice to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #36
borahatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamstine
Sorry to hear about your accident. I had my 2006 330i three weeks and some guys ran into the side of my car. Man I was bummed to say the least. I beleive it was his fault however that is to be determined by the insurance company. It was in a parking lot, nobody else saw it, and no tickets were issued. Now the guy has neck pains. It's rediculous. That's why insurance is so high, is cause of jerks like that. If I am found not at fault, I will most certainly go after diminished value. My car is currently in the shop getting both passenger side doors replaced. I just wanted my car fixed....not have to deal with this crap. It's a car though, it can be fixed. The parts will be hard to get since they are so new, but it will look and drive like new. Sorry again and good luck with the insurance. I just went ahead and paid my deducatable so I could get it fixed...hopefully I will be reembursed. That is my advice to you.
Sorry to hear about your incident . Hopefully, it all works out in your favor and your car is back on the road good as new. I'm confident my sister's car will be good as new b/c her car was PERFECT after it came out of the shop. Before, it felt so unsafe driving. It would go right while the wheel was pointed slightly left. At any rate, thanks for the advice and let us know how it turns out.
Tint
Injen CAI
DVD player
White LED interior bulbs
LED rear turn signals
More to come!
My G
Myspace
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #37
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Sorry to all owners with damaged BMWs. At least no one was seriously hurt, but I kno it's a hassle to get your car fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #38
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I can't look..............

::CLOSED::
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #39
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

WOW

I am sorry to hear of these incidents but I am glad everyone was alright!! I also have some concerns with the structure of the E90 after seeing the rear ends buckle like that. I have been rear ended on two seperate occasions while stopped in an '02 and '04 Audi A4 quattro. In neither case did the car buckle, The passengers and I were all fine and no issues. The first car was a mini van and that had severe damage and all the A4 needed was a new bumper cover and beam about a 25MPH hit. The second accident was more severe in the sense it acutally totalled the toyota camry that hit us, and there air bags deployed and basically destroyed the entire front of the car, the A4 took the hit through the struts in the bumper and beam and absorb the shock through the entire car, no frame damage, just the bumper cover, beam and bumper struts and the exhaust that was bent but NO body damage at all so not metal bent. After seeing these accidents I am a little worried about the structure of these cars not that they are not safe, I also have an MINI cooper s and I know it is safe but the car essentially gives its life to safe yours, I am wondering if the E90 is along the same lines? I just don't think a car should buckle like that unless it is severe enough to warrant the airbags. Any comments?
Once again I am glad all is well with everyone! Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #40
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
I am sorry to hear of these incidents but I am glad everyone was alright!! I also have some concerns with the structure of the E90 after seeing the rear ends buckle like that. I have been rear ended on two seperate occasions while stopped in an '02 and '04 Audi A4 quattro. In neither case did the car buckle, The passengers and I were all fine and no issues. The first car was a mini van and that had severe damage and all the A4 needed was a new bumper cover and beam about a 25MPH hit. The second accident was more severe in the sense it acutally totalled the toyota camry that hit us, and there air bags deployed and basically destroyed the entire front of the car, the A4 took the hit through the struts in the bumper and beam and absorb the shock through the entire car, no frame damage, just the bumper cover, beam and bumper struts and the exhaust that was bent but NO body damage at all so not metal bent. After seeing these accidents I am a little worried about the structure of these cars not that they are not safe, I also have an MINI cooper s and I know it is safe but the car essentially gives its life to safe yours, I am wondering if the E90 is along the same lines? I just don't think a car should buckle like that unless it is severe enough to warrant the airbags. Any comments?
Once again I am glad all is well with everyone! Best of luck

I would rather my car suffers damage, then I get whiplash and battle with back problems the rest of my life. I once had an accident in my E46, and although the accident wasn't major - the car did suffer significant damage. I was totally unharmed, no whiplash, no seatbelt marks. I would rather me be perfect and my car be ruined. I can replace my car, my car cannot replace me
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #41
mr2uboy
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I'm terribly sorry . I feel your sister's pain and I know how she feels. I too was involved in an accident not too long ago. Just got my car back this past week, its been in the shop for 10 working days. My damage did not look extensive but the total cost was $3,325.00. If your sister don't need a loaner then have her claim for loss of use of the vehicle, the insurance co. paid me $258 for the loss of use of the vehicle for 9 days at $28/day. Make sure to take it to an approved BMW bodyshop. Hope all is well.
Attached Images

A/T
Packages: Sport, Premium, Cold
Power rear sunshade
Sat. prep.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #42
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Rear airbags? If she was hit in the rear, the bags should not deploy unless she is forced hard enough into the car in front to deploy the bags.
They are called "crumple zones" for a reason, they crumple and absorb the impact, reducing the energy transferred to the occupants. Yes, they sacrifice themselves to protect the cargo. Just like car bodies, once human bodies are damaged they often never regain their former mobility, but unlike car bodies, they can't (yet) be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #43
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

This was my exact point..... like I said before, Audi have a strut system within the rear of the car that takes the hit and forces the energy around the paasenger cabin, I HAD NO INJURY, and still am fine. The struts absorb the impact like a crumple zone.... except it does not do damage the car in the same amount as a crumple zone, also if the impact is severe enough the impact will force the rear to crumple. My question is why doesn't BMW do the same thing... I realize it is more expensive than using plastic pellets but in all seriousness I rather have a car that is not crumpled and be ok than have a crumpled car and be OK that is just silly. When I was hit the impact was severe enough to total the car that rear ended me and have all of the airbags deploy in that car. From what I read this accident was not even as severe and the car buckled. I guess I was expecting a little more from BMW... that is all. I am a bit dissapointed and I am also a little dissapointed in the replies to my post. I know cars in and out and safety as well.... and I am obviously not a BMW homer, and that makes a difference I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #44
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I have been in a very similar situation, about a year ago. I used to have a 2002.5 VW Jetta 1.8t (you'd be amazed what a chip and coilovers do to that car, had about 215bhp and 250lb/ft). Anyway, I was driving home on the freeway and got rearended. I was doing 50mph, while the other car I estimate at around 70mph. The impact threw the car forward, but thanks to the suspension, she kept travelling straight. Upon inspecting the damage, the rear valence was toast, the bumper had absorbed a great deal of the impact, but there was a little warping to the quarter panel and trunk. The total to repair the car under insurance was about $3,500. Had there been frame damage, the bill would have been considerably larger. When getting your car repaired, the important things to ask about are what paints they use, how they cure the paint, what machines they use to repair panels and frames, and how they measure the repair? Cross check their answers with what are considered good quality and you will know if you're getting a good deal on a GOOD repair.
Appreciate 0