BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Best X7 M60 Alternatives

08-17-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

Best X7 M60 Alternatives

So, I’ve mentioned I’ve been in QC limbo for quite a while, and am trying to get a sense from the community as to what you feel would be a good replacement in the event I decide to cut my losses and run. I’m not desperate for a new car atm. I have a lease coming up in 12 months and I was jumping the gun because I fell in love with the M60 and have equity in the car because it’s such low mileage and used car prices are nuts.

I want power and luxury, and need a third row. That rules out Range Rover, and in my view pretty much leaves me with the GLS, an Escalade or even a Denali. I hate the Wagoneers, and Ford/Lincoln don’t do it for me. Q7 is meh. Anything else I should consider? The new Lexus? Not a big fan of the sequoia either. Again, I want power and luxury, as well as big. If I didn’t need the third row I’d have a host of other options.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

I lemoned a 21 6.2 Escalade and own a 22 3.0 Escalade now. If you get an Escalade get the Diesel. If you get ANY GM get the 3.0 Diesel.
I personally cant stand the design of the GLS but of course many people love it.
Range Rovers are full of quality issues. Not even sure where to start with that lol.
Wagoneer lol. Hard pass

Escalade ESV is in a class of its own when it comes to size. X7 can't even compete with the size. Escalade 3rd row makes the x7 3rd row look way small. The x7 3rd row is barely usable. I always chuckle when people say the x7 is big, It is tiny compared to the Escalade ESV.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #3
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The diesel huh? I’ve never been a fan personally. Why is that your preference aside from your experience with the lemon Escalade.

I hear you on the GLS.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ(BM)Dubya View Post
The diesel huh? I’ve never been a fan personally. Why is that your preference aside from your experience with the lemon Escalade.

I hear you on the GLS.
Never owned a diesel in my life. Thought they were clanky farm machines. It is not and not any louder than the 6.2

Join the Escalade and Tahoe forum and read up on all the 5.3 an 6.2 engine lifter issues. It is a mess and the engines are trash.
People getting stranded. Just you tube lifter issues Escalade, Tahoe etc... and sit back and watch the videos. Sad really... There are class action lawsuits about it

The diesel shifts better, drives better and is smooth. Only fault is that it does not accelerate as fast as the 6.2 after 40mph.

You will find many people have switched to the diesel and are happier with it.

Plus the mileage is trash with the 6.2. I was getting 12.8 mpg after 7000 miles. Diesel is 21 mpg city for me.

Have a family of 5 and the ESV is my daily driver. X7 is BARELY okay to haul us but wife does not want a larger car than x7. If you need 3rd row you have no luggage area in the x7. It's embarrassing. The ESV has the space everywhere in the car and drives like a smaller car too. Not as athletic as the x7 but no slouch either. The ride is nice and the street presence.... wow

Last edited by BMWX7m60i; 08-17-2022 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:36 PM   #5
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
So, I’ve mentioned I’ve been in QC limbo for quite a while, and am trying to get a sense from the community as to what you feel would be a good replacement in the event I decide to cut my losses and run. I’m not desperate for a new car atm. I have a lease coming up in 12 months and I was jumping the gun because I fell in love with the M60 and have equity in the car because it’s such low mileage and used car prices are nuts.

I want power and luxury, and need a third row. That rules out Range Rover, and in my view pretty much leaves me with the GLS, an Escalade or even a Denali. I hate the Wagoneers, and Ford/Lincoln don’t do it for me. Q7 is meh. Anything else I should consider? The new Lexus? Not a big fan of the sequoia either. Again, I want power and luxury, as well as big. If I didn’t need the third row I’d have a host of other options.
The GLS 580 and SQ7 are likely the best alternatives. The others are going to be more body on frame. The Range does come in a 7 seat option, but good luck getting your hands on one. Waitlists are a year +, especially for the V8.

One thing about the SQ7 is that it will be quicker than the M60i, but I just never got on board with the Audi piano black-based infotainment setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:09 PM   #6
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
The GLS 580 and SQ7 are likely the best alternatives. The others are going to be more body on frame. The Range does come in a 7 seat option, but good luck getting your hands on one. Waitlists are a year +, especially for the V8.

One thing about the SQ7 is that it will be quicker than the M60i, but I just never got on board with the Audi piano black-based infotainment setup.
I think of sq7 more as a X5 than a x7. U can fit 3 rows in x5 also. I wouldn’t recommend it
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:36 PM   #7
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
I think of sq7 more as a X5 than a x7. U can fit 3 rows in x5 also. I wouldn’t recommend it
In fairness, the Q7 is more of a tweener, being about 5 inches longer than an X5 but 4 inches shorter than the X7. But yes it will be more cramped in the back.

However, if you really want the third row space for adults, body on frame vehicles are pretty much the only game in town.
Appreciate 1
NGT25674.50
      08-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #8
ERC4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

GLS. For me that's a layup relative to your alternatives unless there's a personal issue re size or looks that rules it out.
Appreciate 1
NGT25674.50
      08-17-2022, 11:42 PM   #9
AVandelay
Ranking Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 760i // X7 M60i

Picking up my 7 pax Range Rover on Saturday…. What a machine!

GLS63 but no split tailgate and odd centre console

New Lexus is great, but tiny space behind the third row

New Sequoia will be great too, but again no storage behind the third row

Escalade/Navigator are spacious but….. Domestic
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #10
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVandelay View Post
Picking up my 7 pax Range Rover on Saturday…. What a machine!

GLS63 but no split tailgate and odd centre console

New Lexus is great, but tiny space behind the third row

New Sequoia will be great too, but again no storage behind the third row

Escalade/Navigator are spacious but….. Domestic
Can you please post a review of your RR when you get it? I’m considering one but I would like to hear from a bmw driver’s perspective.
      08-19-2022, 10:30 PM   #11
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:

I'm perusing because I'm thinking of trading my '22 Lexus GX for an X7. The third row isn't really that useable. Very small.

Also, it's very dated. Sorely needs the coming redesign.

I like the X7 and GLS, but I haven't tested a GLS yet. In a small/medium market it is hard to find cars to test, unfortunately.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:34 PM   #12
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX7m60i View Post
Quote:
The diesel huh? I've never been a fan personally. Why is that your preference aside from your experience with the lemon Escalade.

I hear you on the GLS.
Never owned a diesel in my life. Thought they were clanky farm machines. It is not and not any louder than the 6.2

Join the Escalade and Tahoe forum and read up on all the 5.3 an 6.2 engine lifter issues. It is a mess and the engines are trash.
People getting stranded. Just you tube lifter issues Escalade, Tahoe etc... and sit back and watch the videos. Sad really... There are class action lawsuits about it

The diesel shifts better, drives better and is smooth. Only fault is that it does not accelerate as fast as the 6.2 after 40mph.

You will find many people have switched to the diesel and are happier with it.

Plus the mileage is trash with the 6.2. I was getting 12.8 mpg after 7000 miles. Diesel is 21 mpg city for me.

Have a family of 5 and the ESV is my daily driver. X7 is BARELY okay to haul us but wife does not want a larger car than x7. If you need 3rd row you have no luggage area in the x7. It's embarrassing. The ESV has the space everywhere in the car and drives like a smaller car too. Not as athletic as the x7 but no slouch either. The ride is nice and the street presence.... wow
It's a shame hearing all the issues GM is having. Such nice looking cars, so much potential. Used to be the 5.3 was a champ but the transmissions were trash. Sounds like they've taken a step back.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:21 AM   #13
AVandelay
Ranking Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 760i // X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Can you please post a review of your RR when you get it? I’m considering one but I would like to hear from a bmw driver’s perspective.
I will!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I am also stuck in QC limbo, although not as long as you have been. I'm curious to know though, are you more concerned with receiving a buggy vehicle, or even an outright lemon? Like, because it's stuck in QC for so long, something must be wrong with it? Or are you just so annoyed at having to wait for it, with no explanation as to why, that you just want to end the whole ordeal? I'd say if it's the former, you tell the dealer your concerns, cancel the order and place a new order with the same deposit. I feel you are within your rights to do that. If it's the latter, I don't think you gain any real satisfaction starting a whole new order over with a new manufacturer. I'd say be patient and just tell yourself you'll get the vehicle in September sometime. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #15
DLTBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB GLE350, 2023 BMW X7M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I am also stuck in QC limbo, although not as long as you have been. I'm curious to know though, are you more concerned with receiving a buggy vehicle, or even an outright lemon? Like, because it's stuck in QC for so long, something must be wrong with it? Or are you just so annoyed at having to wait for it, with no explanation as to why, that you just want to end the whole ordeal? I'd say if it's the former, you tell the dealer your concerns, cancel the order and place a new order with the same deposit. I feel you are within your rights to do that. If it's the latter, I don't think you gain any real satisfaction starting a whole new order over with a new manufacturer. I'd say be patient and just tell yourself you'll get the vehicle in September sometime. Just my two cents.

We feel the same as the OP. We have been in QC 18 days and are concerned about both. Concerned we'd end up with a buggy vehicle, since theres zero disclosure over why its in QC for so long. And, the frustration of it all- we have rate locks and PPF appts and a family member waiting to book flights to come get our old car from us. We are looking at vehicles on the ground today too just for comparison sake. The lack of transparency is not cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLTBMW View Post
We feel the same as the OP. We have been in QC 18 days and are concerned about both. Concerned we'd end up with a buggy vehicle, since theres zero disclosure over why its in QC for so long. And, the frustration of it all- we have rate locks and PPF appts and a family member waiting to book flights to come get our old car from us. We are looking at vehicles on the ground today too just for comparison sake. The lack of transparency is not cool.
Yeah, when you have deadlines and schedules to keep, and it's just sitting there, it's rough. For sure. I'm not downplaying it, it just sounded like JJ(BM)Dubya didn't have those time constraints. But yeah, when others are getting their vehicles and you're not, I agree that they should be giving you a reason for that. I understand why they wouldn't from their perspective as they just want the sale to go through and don't want to spook you, but after a certain amount of time they owe you an explanation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #17
Neil39
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Same, already called a few dealers and asked them about timing. I also require a 3rd row but when weighing options can live without one.
Considering the:
G-class
GLS 580
Considered the Lexus 570 but not going for it. I found the luxury aspect of it lacking after looking at it.

Already in line for the 2023 Rangerover and it might take 2 years from what I have been told.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #18
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
It's a shame hearing all the issues GM is having. Such nice looking cars, so much potential. Used to be the 5.3 was a champ but the transmissions were trash. Sounds like they've taken a step back.
The BMW V8s haven't exactly been problem free. Lots of fuel pump issues leaving people stranded.
Appreciate 1
NGT25674.50
      08-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #19
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
The BMW V8s haven't exactly been problem free. Lots of fuel pump issues leaving people stranded.
Yeah I'm a fan of the I6 for a family daily driver because the V8 makes me nervous. Would love it for a second car though. Or maybe just for my car.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #20
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Thanks for the note. It’s definitely the former. My process for this car was a kind of spur of the moment thing when it came out. Loved the look and almost pulled the trigger on a 2022 M50 about a year or so ago but opted to get a telluride since it was half price and provided me with most of the options I was looking for (although I knew I had the itch for those 500 ponies). Plan was to drive the telluride for a while then give to my wife when her lease was due, and I’d grab something then. Well, I have equity in her car and a total lack of patience, although I was fine waiting for the Telluride to be built/delivered for over 5 months, so I pulled the trigger on the LCI. My concerns are both the lack of transparency over the issue keeping it in QC and feeling butthurt watching all of these later builds come out. Although there isn’t a timing issue for me because I don’t need another car for a year, I have family visiting next week and I was mentally set on picking them up with the M60, driving it around my home town and just loving the end of summer on vacation in my awesome vehicle. Now that’s looming extremely improbable unless it comes out of QC this week. I also have a ceramic coating lined up that I need to reschedule so it’s just a real pain in my ass and consuming waaaaaay too much of my time with the constant refreshes and lurking here 16hrs a day. My SA is set on this being a part issue, not a troubleshoot issue. If that is the case I’d be way less concerned about the QC. Again, so much of this just comes down to the transparency. My vehicle (all of our vehicles) are sitting somewhere and there is a reason for it that isn’t being communicated. Tax included, this is a $125k car and I just didn’t anticipate any kind of snafu like this. If they’re going to open the kimono and show us every step of the process, then they should be providing explanations when there is an issue holding things up - especially when it’s been 3+ weeks now and other cars keep rolling off the line.

I want this car. I fell in love with this car. I don’t think there’s another car I would legit swap it with if I had the option, but it’s frustrating to sit here like this without any insight into what’s wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #21
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I've tried to leave the BMW brand several times, but I never find anything that I like better (for a reasonable price).

If you like the X7 you have on order, just be patient. It will be worth the wait. Besides, you said you weren't in a rush.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #22
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
I've tried to leave the BMW brand several times, but I never find anything that I like better (for a reasonable price).

If you like the X7 you have on order, just be patient. It will be worth the wait. Besides, you said you weren't in a rush.
Yeah that’s where I’m at. Just venting at this point.
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00