12-06-2022, 11:25 PM   #1
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Bimmer tech upgrade from HiFi

Anyone done this upgrade? The only thing I sacrificed on the CPO '21 X7 I bought is the premium package. And I don't really miss the head up display but I do feel mighty underwhelmed with the HiFi sound. It has a lot of nice options (tartufo, captain seats, driver assist, park assist, M Sport) so I'm confused why anyone would leave that off. All I can figure is someone nickel and diming themselves or supply shortages.

Anyway, I think I like the Bimmertech options over the Bavsound. Happy to hear opinions on either. But specifically curious if anyone has used the Bimmer Tech option and how they like it.

For comparison, I have the pre LCI HK in my 540.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Supply shortages had never impacted the premium package specifically. I agree, I think the premium package is probably the only one that should have never been scarified and in an X7 build. It might have been a dealer-allocation, wherein sometimes they like to have a few cheaper X7s on the lot, waiting for an inexperienced buyer looking for a new X7 at that time. Most of these X7s without the premium package are dealer ordered. In your cause, it is puzzling that the build has a few other expensive packages, but not the premium package.... pretty interesting choice for packages. I like the power soft-closing doors, and the rear power side-window sunshades is a must have for most families, not to mention the HL sound system as you indicated. It was only a $1,850 package at that time... once of the cheapest packages.

There is a thread that was posted on the B&W upgrade, but I think the baseline was HK? you might want to search and double check that thread. It did not seem to be that easy though.

It also costs a lot. If it becomes an issue for u, you might want to consider trading it in for an older (but well equipped) 2020 or even a fully equipped 2019 50i (?) which will offset the price difference a bit for you...

Good luck with the sound issue if you decide to upgrade. I have the HiFi system on my 5-series 530e and I HATE IT SO MUCH, especially that I have the B&W on my two other BMW-s.... It was hard to get or find a 530e and I had no option whatsoever but to get the one with Hi-Fi. It has every single option including night-vision camera, etc, but came with HiFi sound system even though it has the soft-closing doors too and rear-side-window sunshades as well as the power rear window sunshade.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-07-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25674.50
      12-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah it makes no sense. Given the options that were selected, there's no rationale for not having premium package. But it took a long time to find the options we prioritized all on the same vehicle, with the color combo and mileage we wanted. I know it had HiFi when I bought it. It's my wife's car, primarily, and she doesn't prioritize the stereo at all.

It is an expensive upgrade. About $2,700 to do all speakers, woofers, and amp. But probably can get significant improvement without doing the whole shooting match.

There is a chance that we have this car a long time and it eventually becomes the daily driver for me. If that becomes more and more likely, I'd do the upgrade. Given that is the only thing missing and it's got 13k miles on it, I think it would be cheaper to pay for the upgrade than trade for another model.

I did the rough math in my head when I bought it, so I'm not disappointed in the purchase at all. No buyer's remorse. Just curious if anyone had done the upgrade from HiFi.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Yeah it makes no sense. Given the options that were selected, there's no rationale for not having premium package. But it took a long time to find the options we prioritized all on the same vehicle, with the color combo and mileage we wanted. I know it had HiFi when I bought it. It's my wife's car, primarily, and she doesn't prioritize the stereo at all.

It is an expensive upgrade. About $2,700 to do all speakers, woofers, and amp. But probably can get significant improvement without doing the whole shooting match.

There is a chance that we have this car a long time and it eventually becomes the daily driver for me. If that becomes more and more likely, I'd do the upgrade. Given that is the only thing missing and it's got 13k miles on it, I think it would be cheaper to pay for the upgrade than trade for another model.

I did the rough math in my head when I bought it, so I'm not disappointed in the purchase at all. No buyer's remorse. Just curious if anyone had done the upgrade from HiFi.
Have you tried to ask a reputable sound system shop for other options too? If you are willing to go the the $1-3K range, they probably can offer you a very nice upgrade. I did consider that for my 530e, but I just wasn't willing to pay that much on it since it is my wife's vehicle and she is not obsessed with sound quality as much as I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
wwwbmw
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Anyone done this upgrade? The only thing I sacrificed on the CPO '21 X7 I bought is the premium package. And I don't really miss the head up display but I do feel mighty underwhelmed with the HiFi sound. It has a lot of nice options (tartufo, captain seats, driver assist, park assist, M Sport) so I'm confused why anyone would leave that off. All I can figure is someone nickel and diming themselves or supply shortages.

Anyway, I think I like the Bimmertech options over the Bavsound. Happy to hear opinions on either. But specifically curious if anyone has used the Bimmer Tech option and how they like it.

Just updated to Bimmertech from the hifi sound system. Can’t get an amp with Bavsound at least when I ordered. The difference is amazing. I did it all myself. The amp was the toughest especially with the 5 zone climate control by the amp fit in the back corner of the fender.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwbmw View Post
Quote:

Just updated to Bimmertech from the hifi sound system. Can’t get an amp with Bavsound at least when I ordered. The difference is amazing. I did it all myself. The amp was the toughest especially with the 5 zone climate control by the amp fit in the back corner of the fender.
My research also says no amp with Bavsound. Do you feel like it was worth the money? I really want to do it. If it was like $1,200 range, I would order it for Christmas. But I can do a lot of things with $2,700.

I know you obviously think it's worth it because you did it. But do you feel pretty good about it after the fact?

I think I'd let a local installer do it. Not sure I could do it without taking all day/weekend. He also recommended the Bimmertech/Alpha One over the Bavsound.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #7
wwwbmw
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
My research also says no amp with Bavsound. Do you feel like it was worth the money? I really want to do it. If it was like $1,200 range, I would order it for Christmas. But I can do a lot of things with $2,700.

I know you obviously think it's worth it because you did it. But do you feel pretty good about it after the fact?

I think I'd let a local installer do it. Not sure I could do it without taking all day/weekend. He also recommended the Bimmertech/Alpha One over the Bavsound.
Yes very happy with it. This I wondered what the deal was with the high end stereos in the X7 since this is my first one, but as quiet as this car is it makes sense. I feel better about it because I installed it. It is a 2 day job but there are some good installation videos for the speakers. The amp was different especially with the 5 zone climate control. I used the Bimmertech instructions and was able to fit the amp in the back corner of the fender. There is no way to attach it but it fits snug and the harnesses hold it.
I did the speakers first but the amp made the biggest difference. When you compare the light hifi speakers to the Bimmertech heavy replacements you can see the difference.
Appreciate 1
NGT25674.50
      12-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #8
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

another option would be grey market B&W speakers and the ghost subs.
i swapped the HK speakers for those and its a noticeable improvement to my admittedly non audiophile ears. not sure how it will sound without the amp upgrade.

you can skip the B&W lit speaker grilles.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955756

DIY was easy, took me a total of about 6 hours including swapping the grills, so just speakers would be faster, maybe 2 or 3 hours to pop the door panels and swap the speakers.
subs maybe another 2 hours.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0