BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bimmertech or Bavsound sub upgrade for HK

03-15-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Bimmertech or Bavsound sub upgrade for HK

Now that I’m finished with everything on the outside of my car, I’m thinking of tinkering with some things on the inside. So I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has upgraded their Harman Kardon system using either Bimmertech or Bavsound Sub or speakers? I’m considering it and I’ve read a bunch of stuff now and “underwhelming” seems to be a common phrase I’m hearing but I also have been hearing that it does make a difference albeit small and most certainly it sounds cleaner or crisper (I just want more bass). I’m not looking for Box in the trunk type bass but just something that’ll give it a little more kick, maybe 35% more kick. I’ve also read that you need a 9 hour breaking period so I’m wondering if a lot of those underwhelmed simply commented too quickly. Anyhow, anyone try the upgrade on the HK system? Sub or all the speakers? I’d love to hear what you thought and if it is worth doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Ok, here is my $.02…

I have the full Bavsound upgrade for my HK equipped X7, including the underseat woofers. Underwhelmed may be a bit harsh, but sound quality/improvement will always be subjective. That said, I would say you just need to manage expectations with this type of sound upgrade…

First, both Bavsound and BimmerTech are essentially the same (I had BimmerTech in my M3,also with HK), so whichever one you can get for cheaper, go for it. I agree with what others have said that after the speaker upgrade, the sound is more crisp and clear, especially at louder volumes. The bass is improved over stock, but based on what you described as the bass improvement you are looking for, it might not scratch that itch. One other noteworthy improvement with the sound for me was coding the B&W sound profiles to the car - that really woke up the sound system IMHO.

So were I to do it again, I would do my X7 sound upgrade in the following order…

1. Code the B&W DSP profiles. Better EQ and different sound profiles to more customize the sound in the X7. You will really notice a difference after a while with the B&W sound profiles and then listen to a “stock” HK equipped 7-series or X7.

2. Upgrade the underseat woofers to the Earthquakes, powered by a small 300 watt amp like one by Audiocontrol. Do a search and you will find the details about this combo as it is a popular bass upgrade in HK equipped BMWs, including G-series models like the X7. I am considering doing this next, just have not got around to it yet….

3. If you still want something that slightly sounds better after doing the above, then upgrade your speakers.

Some will say you should upgrade the amp first, and not the speakers. In general, I agree with this. But after driving in my X7 for a while, and seeing what it takes to add an aftermarket amp to the X7, I am not convinced, yet, that an amp upgrade is the way to go for this car, at least not before doing items 1 & 2 I mentioned above.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 4
      03-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #3
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Ok, here is my $.02…

I have the full Bavsound upgrade for my HK equipped X7, including the underseat woofers. Underwhelmed may be a bit harsh, but sound quality/improvement will always be subjective. That said, I would say you just need to manage expectations with this type of sound upgrade…

First, both Bavsound and BimmerTech are essentially the same (I had BimmerTech in my M3,also with HK), so whichever one you can get for cheaper, go for it. I agree with what others have said that after the speaker upgrade, the sound is more crisp and clear, especially at louder volumes. The bass is improved over stock, but based on what you described as the bass improvement you are looking for, it might not scratch that itch. One other noteworthy improvement with the sound for me was coding the B&W sound profiles to the car - that really woke up the sound system IMHO.

So were I to do it again, I would do my X7 sound upgrade in the following order…

1. Code the B&W DSP profiles. Better EQ and different sound profiles to more customize the sound in the X7. You will really notice a difference after a while with the B&W sound profiles and then listen to a “stock” HK equipped 7-series or X7.

2. Upgrade the underseat woofers to the Earthquakes, powered by a small 300 watt amp like one by Audiocontrol. Do a search and you will find the details about this combo as it is a popular bass upgrade in HK equipped BMWs, including G-series models like the X7. I am considering doing this next, just have not got around to it yet….

3. If you still want something that slightly sounds better after doing the above, then upgrade your speakers.

Some will say you should upgrade the amp first, and not the speakers. In general, I agree with this. But after driving in my X7 for a while, and seeing what it takes to add an aftermarket amp to the X7, I am not convinced, yet, that an amp upgrade is the way to go for this car, at least not before doing items 1 & 2 I mentioned above.
This is GREAT feedback- thanks!!!! I'm going to look for the Earthquake upgrade and I keep saying I need to get the Bimmercode setup. This'll be the incentive to push forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, here is my $.02…

3. If you still want something that slightly [...]
Really appreciate that you took the time to write that detailed write-up of your experience and recommendations. I think I will go through with the Bimmertech Sub. I have an installer I know that works with Bimmertech and even he doesn’t recommend it saying that it’s not powerful enough for what I’m asking. I know there is no upgraded amp available for the X7 which he said would make the biggest difference. Still I’m curious enough to see if will give enough of what I’m looking for. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Actually, there is an upgraded amp for the X7 (and other G-series BMWs with the RAM module/HK system) that when used with the applicable harness connector, is essentially a plug-n-play upgrade. It is the Match UP10 DSP by Audiotec Fischer. It will need to be tuned by either yourself or a competent car stereo shop that knows how to tune DSP amplifiers.

I actually have this amp. I installed and tuned it in my M3 with very good success. However, the reason I am not sure I want to try it with the X7 yet is how the amp interfaces with the X7. Without going into too many technical details, I am not sure if it is possible to get a clean enough signal from the X7 to the aftermarket amp in order to take full advantage of it….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually, there is an upgraded amp for the X7 (and other G-series BMWs with the RAM module/HK system) that when used with the applicable harness connector, is essentially a plug-n-play upgrade. It is the Match UP10 DSP by Audiotec Fischer. It will need to be tuned by either yourself or a competent car stereo shop that knows how to tune DSP amplifiers.

I actually have this amp. I installed and tuned it in my M3 with very good success. However, the reason I am not sure I want to try it with the X7 yet is how the amp interfaces with the X7. Without going into too many technical details, I am not sure if it is possible to get a clean enough signal from the X7 to the aftermarket amp in order to take full advantage of it….
Keep us posted if you do this.

Am I crazy for considering adding a powered sub box through a Best Buy?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 07:09 AM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Am I crazy for considering adding a powered sub box through a Best Buy?
Well, you do get what you pay for when it comes to car stereo installers, IMHO. Install talent can be found anywhere, but Best Buy is not known for install talent, especially in more complex cars like BMWs. There are some car stereo shops that won’t touch BMWs, but any reputable shop should not fear working on them. But fortunately, there are companies that make various adapters/harnesses for late model BMWs, that make aftermarket stereo component integration fairly straightforward.

My advice would be to find a reputable shop in your area that has done work on late model BMWs. You can use the regional forums, especially in the G20 3-series forums, to help you find one (the 3-series forum is a much larger group than the X7 forum, but the car stereo/HK electronics is the same between G-series models). If that happens to be your local Best Buy, then I guess you are in luck. But don’t hold your breath….

Appreciate 1
keg97168.00
      03-18-2023, 07:34 AM   #8
wwwbmw
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

I had the hifi system and replaced it with the Bimmertech speakers and amp. The hifi system was the only option with my 22 X7 40i. Used the instructions from the forum for the speakers and the Bimmertech instructions for the amp. The amp was the hardest install since the BT instructions are a little vague and I have the 5 zone climate system but it fit snuggly in the back corner of the fender. In comparing the BT speakers to the hifi speakers there is a big difference in magnet size. From pictures of the HK speakers they look more comparable. Either way this made a huge difference in the sound quality.
My suggestion would be to first go with the amp. You can install yourself if patient and at all handy. Otherwise have a dealer install.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Aftermarket amp integration for HK equipped cars is more involved than it is for HiFi equipped cars - and more expensive. Space is also tighter to work with due to the extra HK components that the HiFi cars don’t have and these HK components must stay installed in the car. Not impossible though, but should be taken into consideration to make an informed decision. Also, BimmerTech does not offer an amp upgrade solution for HK equipped G-series cars when last I checked. Although, the BimmerTech amp upgrade for HiFi equipped cars is just a re-badged Match amp by Audiotech Fischer.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, you do get what you pay for when it comes to car stereo installers, IMHO. Install talent can be found anywhere, but Best Buy is not known for install talent, especially in more complex cars like BMWs. There are some car stereo shops that won’t touch BMWs, but any reputable shop should not fear working on them. But fortunately, there are companies that make various adapters/harnesses for late model BMWs, that make aftermarket stereo component integration fairly straightforward.

My advice would be to find a reputable shop in your area that has done work on late model BMWs. You can use the regional forums, especially in the G20 3-series forums, to help you find one (the 3-series forum is a much larger group than the X7 forum, but the car stereo/HK electronics is the same between G-series models). If that happens to be your local Best Buy, then I guess you are in luck. But don’t hold your breath….
Great feedback- thanks!!! I'll do just that.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #11
el19
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M550i, 22 X7 M60i

Can't speak for my x7 as it has the B&W system but in my 22 m550 with HK, I did the Bavsound full speaker upgrade including the ghost woofers. Sound, volume and clarity were much improved but low end notes were still missing. I added an 8 inch JL audio w7 in the trunk and it rounded out the system perfectly.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #12
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by el19 View Post
Can't speak for my x7 as it has the B&W system but in my 22 m550 with HK, I did the Bavsound full speaker upgrade including the ghost woofers. Sound, volume and clarity were much improved but low end notes were still missing. I added an 8 inch JL audio w7 in the trunk and it rounded out the system perfectly.
How does your upgraded M550 H/K compare to the stock B&W in your X7?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #13
el19
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M550i, 22 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
How does your upgraded M550 H/K compare to the stock B&W in your X7?
The upgraded HK is better. I can play it louder without stressing anything and its clarity is better as the mids aren't taking on as much bass with an isolated subwoofer. But not by too much. I still find myself wanting to make a few adjustments to the B&W but I haven't yet which says something because I usually change the entire sound system in all of my vehicles not long after acquisition. The Burmester 3D in my S63 even got some upgrades lol
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #14
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by el19 View Post
Thanks for chiming in! Curious about the 8” JL Audio in the trunk. How much space will that take up? I guess I can put it in the little storage compartment in the back of the X7 but I still want to be able to use the storage compartment. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:56 PM   #15
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibletom View Post
Now that I’m finished with everything on the outside of my car, I’m thinking of tinkering with some things on the inside. So I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has upgraded their Harman Kardon system using either Bimmertech or Bavsound Sub or speakers? I’m considering it and I’ve read a bunch of stuff now and “underwhelming” seems to be a common phrase I’m hearing but I also have been hearing that it does make a difference albeit small and most certainly it sounds cleaner or crisper (I just want more bass). I’m not looking for Box in the trunk type bass but just something that’ll give it a little more kick, maybe 35% more kick. I’ve also read that you need a 9 hour breaking period so I’m wondering if a lot of those underwhelmed simply commented too quickly. Anyhow, anyone try the upgrade on the HK system? Sub or all the speakers? I’d love to hear what you thought and if it is worth doing.
Hi, i did the Bavsound Sub and Speaker upgrade. Is it better than the HK equipment? Yes. Is it better or equivalent than B & W? No.

I will say is for the small lift without messing around the electronics like replacing amps, it is well worth it.

I have done the replacement for 2 3 Series 2020,2021 and 2 X5s 2020, 2021 and 1 X7 2022. The process for them is about the same. Especially the X5 and X7s.

If you need help just DM me and will be glad to provide you some info.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 1