BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum XM Tire Question

02-07-2024, 01:26 PM   #1
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

XM Tire Question

I have 18,000 miles on the XM with the 23 inch wheels and P Zero Tires.

First set replaced at 8K miles with Pirelli’s

Replacing with the 3rd set today at 18,000 miles. There are now 2 choices, Pirelli P Zero or now there is a Yokohama option for the 23’s which are less money.

Looking for input, do I go with Pirelli again or try the Yokohamas, is one better than the other. Any advice is appreciated, thx!
I am in Los Angeles so weather normally not much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:38 PM   #2
Warrenber
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM Label

Yikes! What are your typical driving habits to go through so many sets? What do you want out of tires? Better performance? Better wear? If it’s wear, the Yoko’s can’t be any worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:55 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I would buy another set of Pirelli’s or consider the Michelin Pilot Sport’s (not sure if they even make them in this size). I have the same 23” wheels as you, so they’re not going to last very long being such low profile tires - especially on a 6,000+ pound vehicle with between 644 hp (Base) and 738 hp (Label).
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 09:48 PM   #4
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was told no Michelins so I decided to try the Yokohama’s. I like the way they look better than the Pirelli’s. I have not logged more than 50 miles so will update my thoughts on them in a few weeks. I drive spirited but not crazy, be prepared you will only get 8-10K miles max out of tires on the XM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:31 PM   #5
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

I was pissed to get only 15 000 Km with my first 23’’ OEM set. By that time, they were slicks on the rear. You might get a ratio of 1:2 change between front and rear. Also, I’ve got 5 rims becoming oval during those 6 months of summer driving. I’m fed up so I bought a 22’’ winter kit to put CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS on them for next summer. They are rated 560 A A, way better longevity than the Pirelli albeit a notch under for the speed rating and also cheaper. I also never want to bend rims again. That car is too heavy for the bad roads we have and 23’’ kit lacks too much side to absorb shocks.

Currently running 21’’ winter kit, I just hope I’ll do more than 1 winter with that kit and that the rims will survive

Last edited by gan23; 02-07-2024 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 12:08 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
I was told no Michelins so I decided to try the Yokohama’s. I like the way they look better than the Pirelli’s. I have not logged more than 50 miles so will update my thoughts on them in a few weeks. I drive spirited but not crazy, be prepared you will only get 8-10K miles max out of tires on the XM.
I’ve had the Michelin pilot sports on my G30 and I absolutely loved them. But that being said, I’ll probably replace the 23” Pirelli’s with the same Pirelli’s when it comes time for me to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Did you purchase the tire and rim protection? If so was it covered?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:20 AM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornagain73 View Post
Did you purchase the tire and rim protection? If so was it covered?
Just to raise awareness, note the BMW does not offer any native wheel or tire protection. Those are all third-party “insurance” packages brokered through the dealer. People like to call them “warranty” plans, but that is definitely not what you’re purchasing if you buy one of them. A claim must be submitted and approved by the third-party provider.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 11:32 AM   #9
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Just to raise awareness, note the BMW does not offer any native wheel or tire protection. Those are all third-party “insurance” packages brokered through the dealer. People like to call them “warranty” plans, but that is definitely not what you’re purchasing if you buy one of them. A claim must be submitted and approved by the third-party provider.
Gotcha. I am curious to know if anyone has purchased it and what their experience was like? I basically got the dealer that I’m possibly purchasing an XM from to have discounted (the mark up is insane)it down to basically their cost of not real close. Just not sure if I’m going to take the $2200 in additional savings or the tire and rim package?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotcha. I am curious to know if anyone has purchased it and what their experience was like? I basically got the dealer that I’m possibly purchasing an XM from to have discounted (the mark up is insane)it down to basically their cost of not real close. Just not sure if I’m going to take the $2200 in additional savings or the tire and rim package?
I personally stay away from them. It’s pure profit for the dealership and they look forward to you purchasing them to make up for any discounts they gave you on the purchase price. They push it at the very end during the financing phase while you’re tired and just want to go home. This is all done by design.

Sure, it may save you if you get a nail in the tire or something like that, but I’m very particular about not hitting curbs in my vehicles; however, if you’re like my mother who scrapes curbs all of the time, maybe it’s a good “investment.” Just know BMW has nothing to with it. In fact, neither does the dealer after you leave the lot.

I wouldn’t buy one unless it was at least 50% off - and the dealer would still be making money. They make it sound so convenient that you can just come to the dealer and swap it out, but at the end of the day, it’s up to the third-party company to approve the claim. Your finance person will push it like it’s being offered by a company that has “partnered with BMW,” but that is complete BS. There’s absolutely no relationship between BMW and these third-party companies.

Also note that any responses you get from people’s personal experiences would depend upon the local company that was chosen by your dealer. It’s not like the same company packages are being offered nationwide. Again, this has absolutely zero to do with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:03 PM   #11
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep

Originally when I spoke to the finance manager several weeks ago, she was trying to make me feel like I was getting a deal at six grand. I’m like oh no I work in in the industry. So I asked my finance manager and she’s said $1500-2000
They’re offering it to me now for $2200. I just didn’t know if it was maybe better to self ensure. I drive about 300 miles a week in LA
Mostly highway and occasionally I have to cut through downtown depending on traffic. Thanks once again for all your insight ✌️
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 01:45 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally when I spoke to the finance manager several weeks ago, she was trying to make me feel like I was getting a deal at six grand. I’m like oh no I work in in the industry. So I asked my finance manager and she’s said $1500-2000
They’re offering it to me now for $2200. I just didn’t know if it was maybe better to self ensure. I drive about 300 miles a week in LA
Mostly highway and occasionally I have to cut through downtown depending on traffic. Thanks once again for all your insight ✌️
I’m pretty good friends with most of the management at Momentum BMW here in Houston. I believe cost on that to them is like $500. Anything they get after that is pure profit. Just make sure you look at what you’re signing because it will probably be on that same tablet along with the actual BWW paperwork.

Once again, the dealership will be completely hands-off after you’ve paid for this. I’d probably get it if they offered it for $1,500. One wheel and tire will cost you at least that much. When I had my 2019 M550, I had cracked several rims thanks to the low profile wheels and run-flat tires. You can get the rims repaired for several hundred dollars if it ever comes to that.

Also watch out for the third-party maintenance packages they push on you. They make a lot more off of those than they do on the plans offered by BMW. Just like the wheel and tire insurance, the dealership will be hands-off in regards to claims. You can also purchase the BMW service plans and extended warranty as long as you’re still within factory maintenance and/or warranty coverage. The benefit of buying it upfront is you’re locking in the price and you can spread the payments out over the course of your loans/lease.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 02:47 PM   #13
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ended up getting the Yokohamas and I like them better then the previous 2 sets of Pirellis
Appreciate 2
NoPII150.50