BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

03-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #1519
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
DA determines whether to file or not, the officer simply provides the details/facts. At least here where I live
our DAs are lazy corrupt fucks lining their pockets with cartel funds, tell me I'm wrong, and now with the Chinese in Mexico too, its become a real shit show
Our new D.A. - Gascon - is terrible. Every department that has to file through his office is unhappy with him.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #1520
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Sedan_Clan if littlebear asks you for help to get out of a ticket, you going to do it? lol sorry I just need to add humor to this tension I see in this thread. Idk, maybe would be adding to it....
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Littlebear3509.50
      03-31-2021, 12:56 PM   #1521
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Our new D.A. - Gascon - is terrible. Every department that has to file through his office is unhappy with him.
LA has the shittiest people working the legal system for their own agendas its sickening
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-31-2021, 12:58 PM   #1522
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Sedan_Clan if littlebear asks you for help to get out of a ticket, you going to do it? lol sorry I just need to add humor to this tension I see in this thread. Idk, maybe would be adding to it....
you write a declaration, send it in with ticket payment, and wait for your money to be mailed back. thats how you win tickets
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #1523
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
....but then that would be a misuse of power. He wouldn't like that. He would prefer to be accountable for his actions. Wanna play, gotta pay.

Just poking. I would probably help the dude out depending on the circumstances. Some things are out of my hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:01 PM   #1524
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Cadillac health insurance plans?!?! Negative again. While our plans are good, they aren't lavish examples. They aren't any better than the plans offered to nurses or teachers. I would bet some private corporation plans are equal or better than anything we get offered (....based on comparisons made to coverages during my private sector time).
my company is 100% employer paid, not a penny comes out of my pocket. Top tier PPO insurance with a 300 dollar deductible. Just throwing this in for comparison if anyone needs to fact check you. We were public and now private, but our plan is the same.

But I'm curious, is yours comparable to this?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-31-2021, 01:03 PM   #1525
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
....but then that would be a misuse of power. He wouldn't like that. He would prefer to be accountable for his actions. Wanna play, gotta pay.

Just poking. I would probably help the dude out depending on the circumstances. Some things are out of my hands.
But.... what if he was driving a Benz? LOL
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-31-2021, 01:03 PM   #1526
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Many things go into account during a stop. Your attitude, record, egregiousness of the action, etc. are all considerations. DUI's, for example, are a problem and there's very little sympathy for someone who decides to drive while intoxicated or high on drugs. Some of our courts are zero tolerance and California is zero tolerance for minors.

In your case, how fast were you going to be cited for reckless driving? Here in California, 90+ mph will get you a reckless citation.
Absolutely. I have found that a CAC/VA ID or even a USAA insurance card can smooth things over dramatically in a tense situation.

I also imagine one of the reasons they decided not to book me right into jail was my respectful attitude. It was a felony stop - the whole 9 yards.

Allegedly I was doing 92 in a 45 and weaving in an out of traffic. Not proud of it, would never do it again.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-31-2021, 01:03 PM   #1527
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Quote:
you write a declaration, send it in with ticket payment, and wait for your money to be mailed back. thats how you win tickets
I always go to court and I always respond to declarations. I'm not one of those guys who won't show or respond, netting an easy win for the violator.

I had telephonic DUI court Monday. Sworn statements from home while in my pj's. Why the violator even decided to try and fight a DUI/hit & run is beyond me. I had his blood, three PAS device readings AND he admitted to drinking. Oh, and let's not forget the physical evidence from his truck and the three parked cars he hit. He's toast.....no butter!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #1528
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cadillac health insurance plans?!?! Negative again. While our plans are good, they aren't lavish examples. They aren't any better than the plans offered to nurses or teachers. I would bet some private corporation plans are equal or better than anything we get offered (....based on comparisons made to coverages during my private sector time).
my company is 100% employer paid, not a penny comes out of my pocket. Top tier PPO insurance with a 300 dollar deductible. Just throwing this in for comparison if anyone needs to fact check you. We were public and now private, but our plan is the same.

But I'm curious, is yours comparable to this?
I have Blue Shield and it's 100% employer paid as well. I didn't opt for a PPO since the HMO is fine for my needs. My deductible is lower, but again, I have an HMO plan. I would have to look at the PPO prices to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #1529
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I always go to court and I always respond to declarations. I'm not one of those guys who won't show or respond, netting an easy win for the violator.

I had telephonic DUI court Monday. Sworn statements from home while in my pj's. Why the violator even decided to try and fight a DUI/hit & run is beyond me. I had his blood, three PAS device readings AND he admitted to drinking. Oh, and let's not forget the physical evidence from his truck and the three parked cars he hit. He's toast.....no butter!
Playing devil's advocate here, it'd be stupid not to. You had him dead to rights, but on the off chance you don't show up for court, he might get away with it. Small risk, big reward.
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7929.00
mantis276.00
Vivek.1367.50
      03-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #1530
243Racing
Banned
Rep

On a much less controversial note, do you guys enjoy Donut Operator's videos?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #1531
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
On a much less controversial note, do you guys enjoy Donut Operator's videos?
I do. I like his and Officer Tillman's vids. I've known Tillman awhile. He works for a local PD and I worked with his uncle years & years ago.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #1532
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
When did I ever imply that?!? The only time I made mention about people making decisions who haven't worn the badge was with regards to us being defunded (...e.g. politicians, board of supervisors sitting high on the hog, etc.). That had absolutely nothing to do with writers and articles. Again, comprehension.
" I'm giving you perspective from the front row.... "

This is what you posted. It implies that those not "on the front row" have a less valid opinion. (post #1495)
'Nuff said about that, pls?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #1533
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
When did I ever imply that?!? The only time I made mention about people making decisions who haven't worn the badge was with regards to us being defunded (...e.g. politicians, board of supervisors sitting high on the hog, etc.). That had absolutely nothing to do with writers and articles. Again, comprehension.
" I'm giving you perspective from the front row.... "

This is what you posted. It implies that those not "on the front row" have a less valid opinion. (post #1495)
'Nuff said about that, pls?
No, it was meant to explain that what I'm telling you about our pensions, etc. is from the perspective of someone directly affected by it......refuting the claim from the Texas article. It also served to illustrate that just because some union in Texas overdid it doesn't mean every union does.

Opinion and fact vary. You can have an opinion about whatever you want to have an opinion about, but opinion doesn't mean factual. I provided factual data. Facts override opinion every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #1534
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
In your case, how fast were you going to be cited for reckless driving? Here in California, 90+ mph will get you a reckless citation.
Quote:
Allegedly I was doing 92 in a 45 and weaving in an out of traffic. Not proud of it, would never do it again.
Sounds similar to us. We have to be doing 31 mph over the limit to get our license suspended for 7 days and vehicle towed, which on our highways means at least 93mph. I may or may not have been guilty of this before.

I also may or may not have been guilty of exceeding 125mph on a 37mph road. And said hypothetical situation would only occur on a section of road that didn't have houses along it and therefore wildlife is the most significant danger.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-31-2021, 01:40 PM   #1535
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Sounds similar to us. We have to be doing 31 mph over the limit to get our license suspended for 7 days and vehicle towed, which on our highways means at least 93mph. I may or may not have been guilty of this before.

I also may or may not have been guilty of exceeding 125mph on a 37mph road. And said hypothetical situation would only occur on a section of road that didn't have houses along it and therefore wildlife is the most significant danger.
A moose will fuck you up at 125mph
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #1536
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I almost got a ticket in Toronto for jay walking after leaving the Molson factory. As a New Yorker, I was not happy & told the cop so. He let me off with a warning (I had two cases of beer in my arms). I liked that!
There are amazing laws from old still on the books which are ignored by one & all.
When we had the politics section I often wondered why we had so many armchair lawyers arguing about what the law said, but so few arguing about what the law should say.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #1537
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I almost got a ticket in Toronto for jay walking after leaving the Molson factory. As a New Yorker, I was not happy & told the cop so. He let me off with a warning (I had two cases of beer in my arms). I liked that!
There are amazing laws from old still on the books which are ignored by one & all.
When we had the politics section I often wondered why we had so many armchair lawyers arguing about what the law said, but so few arguing about what the law should say.
So we've established that you weren't happy you were caught breaking the law - glad we can agree on that
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #1538
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it was meant to explain that what I'm telling you about our pensions, etc. is from the perspective of someone directly affected by it......refuting the claim from the Texas article. It also served to illustrate that just because some union in Texas overdid it doesn't mean every union does.

Opinion and fact vary. You can have an opinion about whatever you want to have an opinion about, but opinion doesn't mean factual. I provided factual data. Facts override opinion every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
Like I said, your viewpoint is not the same as those of scholars who study & write about the subject. How many precincts were sited, and how many people who studied the policing problem were sited in the two articles? It wasn't just about one in Texas & one in NY.
When you write & publish something equivalent, your opinion might carry similar weight, and not seem so provincial.

Murf

PS: I'm glad you know about your benefits!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #1539
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So we've established that you weren't happy you were caught breaking the law - glad we can agree on that
"I just do as I'm told."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #1540
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
"I just do as I'm told."
the level of ignorance here...jfc. not even worth addressing
Appreciate 1