BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Can I get a curb check please

08-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Can I get a curb check please

I won't bore everyone with the details, but let's just say the X7 went over the curb, all four wheels, straight on, at slow speed.
I'm running the 22's, Conti run-flats.

Damage after impact:
- rear left tire blew...like a whole chunk of the sidewall blew out
- front left visibly toe'd out a few degrees
- cosmetic damage on the other three wheels...one pretty significant with a bend on the lip

Dealer report:
- LF lower control arm bent, need to replace
- LF wheel replace
- LR tire replace
- 4 wheel alignment
Total - $3600

So, if you take out the wheel and tire replacement, the total is around $1300. I guess that's not too bad.

Dealer visually checked everything, no codes were thrown, the air suspension cycles through all levels.
Also, it's a fully loaded M50i, so has the DHP.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has done something similar and if so what was the outcome after repair plus is there anything else I need to be worried about.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Wow! Sorry to hear. I'm sorry, but I must ask, what the hell happened?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

No never ran over a curb with all the wheels with a BMW. I have with my Power Wagon on purpose but that is made for a lot bigger obstacles without damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that ! Hope all are safe … Not heard of something like this for X7 . Will wait to hear from you how it turns out
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear. I'm sorry, but I must ask, what the hell happened?

Wife was driving alone which she never does. Wasn’t texting or anything like that. Just an 🤦*♀️ moment…there was curb and she went straight over it. I was hoping the vehicle recorder caught it as I have it set to activate upon impact, but it didn’t record anything.

She doesn’t like driving the X7 due to the size so drives our X3 most of the time. I told her we’re getting her a Ford Raptor so curbs won’t be an issue anymore.
Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

$1300 for a lower control arm and a 4 wheel alignment doesn't sound bad at all for a BMW repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
TexasJester
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
I won't bore everyone with the details, but let's just say the X7 went over the curb, all four wheels, straight on, at slow speed.
I'm running the 22's, Conti run-flats.

Damage after impact:
- rear left tire blew...like a whole chunk of the sidewall blew out
- front left visibly toe'd out a few degrees
- cosmetic damage on the other three wheels...one pretty significant with a bend on the lip

Dealer report:
- LF lower control arm bent, need to replace
- LF wheel replace
- LR tire replace
- 4 wheel alignment
Total - $3600

So, if you take out the wheel and tire replacement, the total is around $1300. I guess that's not too bad.

Dealer visually checked everything, no codes were thrown, the air suspension cycles through all levels.
Also, it's a fully loaded M50i, so has the DHP.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has done something similar and if so what was the outcome after repair plus is there anything else I need to be worried about.
The exact correct thing to do is go back to the dealership and pick out your next car and let them decide what they want to do with it. They will be happy to trade with it in its current condition. You drive off in your new ride(I highly recommend the Alpina XB7) and it’s all just a memory!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJester View Post
The exact correct thing to do is go back to the dealership and pick out your next car and let them decide what they want to do with it. They will be happy to trade with it in its current condition. You drive off in your new ride(I highly recommend the Alpina XB7) and it’s all just a memory!

That would work if they actually had any inventory. The dealership is focusing on used car sales right now as margins are through the roof on those. They would definitely give me top dollar for the X7 even after the repair.

However, not much to choose from in their new inventory and they are selling everything at MSRP.

If the damage had been worse I’d consider it, but we love the X7 and the repair seems simple enough. Just need to decide how I want to proceed with fixing the wheels. Just replace the one and live with the cosmetic damage in the rest or get the three all refinished.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

While painful to see and deal with I would look at the brightside and look at some nice aftermarket wheels. It’s just the nudge needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:34 PM   #10
Saejin
Captain
Rep

UPDATE:

Had the dealer go ahead and do the work of replacing the lower control arm and an alignment. They didn’t see any other problems and was able to get things back in spec.

I got the X7 back last week and everything seemed good at first. Now I’m noticing a vibration in the steering wheel which starts around 50mph. It’s very slight and if I get up to 80-90 it’s still there but not as bad.

Took it back to the dealer today and they said it was caused by feathering of my tires. Now keep in mind I had to switch back to my OEM 21s winter set with Blizzacks since my 22s need to be repaired.

I only have 5000 miles on the winter set. They were mostly driven in the dry here in Colorado but did see some snow. I had them on since Nov 2020 until end of April 2021. When I removed them I did not notice any vibrations that I’m seeing now. Also, they were stored in my garage which doesn’t get below 50-60 degrees.

I’m not buying the feathered tires just yet. I asked the dealer to throw on some wheels from another X7, but they didn’t have any used ones on the lot and would not pull any off a new X7.

So I plan to visit Discount Tire tomorrow to get their opinion and a possible balance check.

Has anyone else had feathering of their winter set after one season?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Oh geez... sorry to hear. And no, no problems with my winter set. I'll be putting those back on the car in a couple months.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0