BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What do X7 owners think of the Grand Highlander?

02-23-2024, 05:04 PM   #23
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Reading this thread makes me feel so special. Amazing.
      02-23-2024, 07:30 PM   #24
baz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i

Interesting thread. I'll chime in because we upgraded from a 2020 highlander platinum to the 2024 X7 M60i. So I can give you some real world feedback. Although grand highlander (GH) is bigger, features between highlander/grand highlander are 99% similar.

So here's the honest comparison.

Can you live with and be happy with the GH? Probably. We really enjoyed out highlander. It had everything that the x7 has but to your point it's just at 60-70%% of what the X7 offers imo. And that last 30% makes a world of difference. To drive home the point, let's just take the engine. There is no comparison between the power/torque of the M60i to the highlander. The leather is much softer, interior feels like it's made like a vault, where the highlander felt a bit...hollow. The amount of cabin noise is way different. In the highlander on the highway, there was always a "whistle" that I tried to get rid of but it's just how the airflow channels and came to find out all highlanders are same. We also have a 2019 Lexus RX350. It also has the same issue but it's much more muted than the Toyota.

Having climate control for kiddos in third row makes a ton of difference in Texas heat. Also the kiddos LOVE the ambient light and pano roof at night. I sometimes make our 1 yr old stop crying by changing the ambient lights quickly at night time lol.

Also, you have no idea how useful it is to have control over the sun shades from the driver seat and the ability to move the front passenger seat from the driver side as well. Is there kind of little things that you don't see on paper.

Practically bmw has more "usable" space then the GL. I sat in one that my friend just bought. It has a slightly bigger third row but the second row space in x7 is bigger. So depends on what's your priority.

This is not to dissuade you. We are a Toyota/lexus family through n through. I have a 1999 LX 470 with 205k miles, a Lexus RX and a 1996 Honda odyssey minivan (don't ask, wife wants to burn it but it's my OG van!) lol

If space/mpg/reliability are your biggest factors, go for the new sienna. It's a hybrid and you can't beat the space of a minivan.

X7 realy is in a class of its own. It's hard to see it on paper but trust me, after driving the x7, it's easy to see it.

Bmw negatives are what you have heard a million times, so I go over that again. But we've had ours for almost a year with 18k miles. We've done trips all over TX and down to Florida. I almost always drive on long trips and I can tell you, with the X7 my back feels great even after a 8-12 hrs drive. In that sense it's like my old Lexus LS 430. That was such a comfy ride.

Good luck in making your decision. You won't go wrong with either. 👍🏽
Appreciate 5
      02-23-2024, 08:00 PM   #25
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
I. pretty sure the average consumer would probably not consider a BMW, let alone an X7. Those of us that are fortunate enough to drive a BMW/X7 are not your average consumers.
Bam!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:04 PM   #26
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
Interesting thread. I'll chime in because we upgraded from a 2020 highlander platinum to the 2024 X7 M60i. So I can give you some real world feedback. Although grand highlander (GH) is bigger, features between highlander/grand highlander are 99% similar.

So here's the honest comparison.

Can you live with and be happy with the GH? Probably. We really enjoyed out highlander. It had everything that the x7 has but to your point it's just at 60-70%% of what the X7 offers imo. And that last 30% makes a world of difference. To drive home the point, let's just take the engine. There is no comparison between the power/torque of the M60i to the highlander. The leather is much softer, interior feels like it's made like a vault, where the highlander felt a bit...hollow. The amount of cabin noise is way different. In the highlander on the highway, there was always a "whistle" that I tried to get rid of but it's just how the airflow channels and came to find out all highlanders are same. We also have a 2019 Lexus RX350. It also has the same issue but it's much more muted than the Toyota.

Having climate control for kiddos in third row makes a ton of difference in Texas heat. Also the kiddos LOVE the ambient light and pano roof at night. I sometimes make our 1 yr old stop crying by changing the ambient lights quickly at night time lol.

Also, you have no idea how useful it is to have control over the sun shades from the driver seat and the ability to move the front passenger seat from the driver side as well. Is there kind of little things that you don't see on paper.

Practically bmw has more "usable" space then the GL. I sat in one that my friend just bought. It has a slightly bigger third row but the second row space in x7 is bigger. So depends on what's your priority.

This is not to dissuade you. We are a Toyota/lexus family through n through. I have a 1999 LX 470 with 205k miles, a Lexus RX and a 1996 Honda odyssey minivan (don't ask, wife wants to burn it but it's my OG van!) lol

If space/mpg/reliability are your biggest factors, go for the new sienna. It's a hybrid and you can't beat the space of a minivan.

X7 realy is in a class of its own. It's hard to see it on paper but trust me, after driving the x7, it's easy to see it.

Bmw negatives are what you have heard a million times, so I go over that again. But we've had ours for almost a year with 18k miles. We've done trips all over TX and down to Florida. I almost always drive on long trips and I can tell you, with the X7 my back feels great even after a 8-12 hrs drive. In that sense it's like my old Lexus LS 430. That was such a comfy ride.

Good luck in making your decision. You won't go wrong with either. 👍🏽
Right on!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 08:09 PM   #27
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep

Even being a Lexus lover myself, No other brand like BMW has made me want to check a forum like this before and care about so many views about BMW. I look forward to driving he X7 everyday... Excuses to fill the gas tank up and car washes. etc....LOL
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      02-23-2024, 08:33 PM   #28
BMWCBurton
Rep

I have a Toyota as my workhorse car. As many have mentioned, even if the specs on paper look similar, it really isn’t. My Toyota is a Limited trim and that supposedly comes with leather seats but it cannot be compared to Merino leather. Heck they don’t even offer any real leather for Toyotas. You need to get a top model Lexus to get real leather and even that is lower quality than Merino.

Aside from the luxury factor, I also like to drive spiritedly. I have a track car that I take to the race track if that means anything. Having owned various cars previously, I can say minivans, crv, rav4, etc are all super boring to drive. They simply feel “dead”. Point A to point B cars. Driving a rwd biased car with power like a X7 is just different. It’s a luxurious car that’s tamed with refinement but can also rip it when you want it to. The steering feel, suspension and everything is just classes above a Toyota. Not trying to stir the pot here, but look at the Toyota Supra using the B58 engine.. They simply can’t make such a great engine with high horsepower/tune-ability matched with their reliability. Toyota has fallen behind in the world of motorsports. Their cars are reliable but boring.

So in short, I would agree that I would not choose a GH over a X7(if finances allow).
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
      02-26-2024, 07:05 PM   #29
fepstein
Rep
Drives: X7 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofbay View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the part about the worldview in a BMW forum because I haven't give any statement about "my logic" or if I prefer a cheaper vehicle. I just came for the discussion. I fully expect people here to be very PRO BMW. I would expect nothing less. However, just to be clear I am also very pro bmw. It has so many features and luxuries that just hit the sweet spot for me. I know it's a preference but I especially enjoy the pre LCI.

With that said, the issues with my X7 are more about Fremont CA BMW than about my specific car. Those people have treated me very badly and turned a big moment in my life into a less than desirable situation. But I think the car is still great and it will eventually be in good working order.

Here are some images from it at the dealership right before I dropped it off the last time a few weeks ago. So beautiful.
Beautiful car! I hope whatever happened it is solved and you got your car back!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:03 AM   #30
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
What do you guys think of a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser vs the 2035 X7?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      02-27-2024, 10:11 AM   #31
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
What do you guys think of a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser vs the 2035 X7?
Well, considering the 2035 X7 is capable of flight, I'd say the 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser is 90% of the 2035 X7 because both of these vehicles is used for transportation.

Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      02-27-2024, 10:51 AM   #32
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars and compared to any BMW I’ve owned it’s a terrible experience. Noisy, body roll, uncomfortable, etc.

If all you drive are the less premium brands you get used to the lack of quality, but once you drive something like a high end BMW it really is hard to go back.

We’re fortunate enough to be able to spend 100k+ on a car.

The GH is a great car, maybe I’ll end up buying one for my daughter when she starts college if she wants a bigger suv.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-27-2024, 02:40 PM   #33
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars and compared to any BMW I’ve owned it’s a terrible experience. Noisy, body roll, uncomfortable, etc.

If all you drive are the less premium brands you get used to the lack of quality, but once you drive something like a high end BMW it really is hard to go back.

We’re fortunate enough to be able to spend 100k+ on a car.

The GH is a great car, maybe I’ll end up buying one for my daughter when she starts college if she wants a bigger suv.
Just remember the X7 is built in the USA so the build quality still suffers, haha!

But seriously, I owned a Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy prior to the X7 and honestly it was pretty nice. For $53K, we were pleasantly surprised with it's features, including the driver's assistance which might still be better than my 22 X7, other than the traffic jam assist. Additionally, it had a full digital instrument cluster that also changed to a camera when the turn signal was on. The leather seats and overall ride was comfortable too.

Bottom line, yes I can easily afford the X7 but I do think there are other classes of vehicles that offer great features. My biggest concern is the long term reliability of the X7. We do drive a lot. This is my one reason for wanting to at least explore the new Lexus GX550.

It's a tradeoff, long term reliability vs overall experience. No doubt, the X7 is a fantastic vehicle and we've been very happy. But sometimes, I drive my son's Honda Accord on a trip vs the X7, just to save miles, haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 06:47 PM   #34
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Anyone coming over from a newer Kia/Hyuandai product loves BMWs because the Koreans poached a ton of top execs/engineers from Bimmer. Even the head of the M-Division at the time!

Hence the reason a Kia stinger will absolutely embarrass any BMW short of a newer M3/M4 in regards to driving dynamics & performance.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 06:56 PM   #35
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep

Im gonna have to give the win to BMW for all out joy to own. Its a good rule to always own a car you want and another car you need... LOL. German and Japanese
Appreciate 1
ledphut211.00
      02-27-2024, 09:02 PM   #36
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
Anyone coming over from a newer Kia/Hyuandai product loves BMWs because the Koreans poached a ton of top execs/engineers from Bimmer. Even the head of the M-Division at the time!

Hence the reason a Kia stinger will absolutely embarrass any BMW short of a newer M3/M4 in regards to driving dynamics & performance.

The only problem with the Stinger is that it is getting discontinued. I guess it wasn't selling well...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 09:08 PM   #37
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
The only problem with the Stinger is that it is getting discontinued. I guess it wasn't selling well...
The decline of the sports coupe/sedan continues.

3 Ton 900hp SUVs for us all.

I’m part of the problem; buying the XB7 instead of the B8.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #38
TahoeDust
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan Pathfinder

When most X7 owners are asked what they think about the Grand Highlander...

Appreciate 2