BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Help me decide on an X7!

03-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #1
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: na

Help me decide on an X7!

Looking for a low mileage used x7 - would appreciate any feedback on what looks like a good option / value among the options below or what else I should consider. Open to either the 40i or 50i, but I am leaning towards the lowest mileage option (~17K) from BMW Fairfield below - (first link) as Warranty coverage is a consideration. Are there other factors I should be considering? Is the higher mileage '22 with the Sport package worth paying up for (last link). Thanks !

https://www.bmwfairfield.com/invento...w2c08n9k42085/

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/706912100

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/704741964

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/708624337
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I would do some research here on some of the bigger decisions first then figure out what options are "must haves" for you. For big decisions, mainly:

Do you want the V8 or V6 (I would try both, I love my V8)?

Do you want the pre-LCI or post-LCI (I would try both and test the climate control systems while you are at it as many complain about low powered climate control in the post-LCI)?

Then there is the age old debate surrounding DHP (dynamic handling package). I say it's mandatory on these giant SUVs but others don't really care. It gives you all wheel steering and a better, predictive suspension. Read up on that too.

Other than that it's the smaller things in life. Bowers and Wilkins is killer but the Harmon Kardon is very nice too. Cold weather package matters to me in New England but your in Cali soooo....

Read through the dealer order guide here and get educated on which options you CAN have, then start shopping around.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1727832

For what it's worth, it's not very hard to find a LOADED X7 with basically every option you can buy, you just have to be willing to shop outside your zip code.

Keep us posted and poke around here, many of us (including myself who just got mine 4 weeks ago) just went through what you are.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
JMD637.00
      03-04-2024, 12:57 PM   #3
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Have you driven one yet? There is a big difference between a 40i and M50i.

You also have a few preLCI's along with the most recent LCI with split headlights. Do you have a preference for one over the other?

When we decided to buy a X7, both my wife and I didn't like the LCI that had just come out. Thus we had to go preowned and I identified several must have options while the wife decided she only wanted a white exterior. That drove our purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:52 PM   #4
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

leaning towards the m50i - I am coming from a Cayenne v8.

is the DHP worth it?
Is this a good price?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 05:00 PM   #5
omnid00d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Looking at your links, 40i to M50i are worlds apart in a lot of ways. If you're coming from a Porsche V8, I would imagine you want a similar experience? We can't decide that for you but I'll definitely say that the M50i V8 is intoxicating...I bought mine back in Nov so go test drive/touch/feel and folks here can help clarify questions.

As for DHP, I haven't read of anyone who got it and regret getting it. I think it's mandatory as it makes navigating tight spaces in parkings lots MUCH easier and makes for much tighter U-turns (better than my XC90).
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-04-2024, 06:06 PM   #6
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
That M50i does seem like a decent price to me. Most people in the forum feel that DHP is worth it. You should check out the included packages in case you have any other must have's. The one you linked is a pre-LCI, if that matters to you. For me exterior/interior color and packages are the biggest blockers in buying used, never seem to find what I need. But those who are flexible about that can find good deals.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
JMD637.00
      03-04-2024, 06:20 PM   #7
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
That M50i does seem like a decent price to me. Most people in the forum feel that DHP is worth it. You should check out the included packages in case you have any other must have's. The one you linked is a pre-LCI, if that matters to you. For me exterior/interior color and packages are the biggest blockers in buying used, never seem to find what I need. But those who are flexible about that can find good deals.
Agree with this. I'm not a fan of the Artic Grey and wouldn't buy one even if it was 10K cheaper than other options.

Carbon Black is a BMW only color that is fantastic as it changes shades in different light. Of course my wife wanted nothing to do with it so I made sure to get it on my work X7.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:32 PM   #8
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Based on what you shared it looks like you want used. Used car values have dropped significantly. My car MSRP was 115k just 2 yrs ago and now it is going in high 70s .
So if your budget is in that range, I say go for a MY22 with all the options.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:41 PM   #9
Chestertucky
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Have you driven one yet? There is a big difference between a 40i and M50i.

You also have a few preLCI's along with the most recent LCI with split headlights. Do you have a preference for one over the other?

When we decided to buy a X7, both my wife and I didn't like the LCI that had just come out. Thus we had to go preowned and I identified several must have options while the wife decided she only wanted a white exterior. That drove our purchase.

We did the same. Wife didn't like the new style so we found a 22' X7 Metallic White with Tartufo and almost every imaginable option. She had a particular list and this one fit the bill.
Appreciate 2
keg97166.50
JMD637.00
      03-04-2024, 09:00 PM   #10
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all this is very helpful - I think I have narrowed it down to the m50i below:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/703289608

a few more questions

1) Carbon Black is an interesting color - would prefer all black CB appears to be a bit blue, but curious how people with this color choice have liked it

2) Captains chair vs bench - we have 2 kids in car seats and probably would perfer bench seating but would be interested to hear perspectives on this.

3) I know some 2022 builds were de-optioned due to the semi shortage - does that seem to be the case here?

4) Is it a mistake to not get the driving assistance pro package?

AiP-Sticker-5UXCX6C0XN9K92894.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:21 PM   #11
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforx7 View Post
Thanks all this is very helpful - I think I have narrowed it down to the m50i below:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/703289608

a few more questions

1) Carbon Black is an interesting color - would prefer all black CB appears to be a bit blue, but curious how people with this color choice have liked it

2) Captains chair vs bench - we have 2 kids in car seats and probably would perfer bench seating but would be interested to hear perspectives on this.

3) I know some 2022 builds were de-optioned due to the semi shortage - does that seem to be the case here?

4) Is it a mistake to not get the driving assistance pro package?

Attachment 3403051
Don't have carbon black but have seen it and it's amazing.

Captains chairs vs bench is another hot button topic, there are LONG threads on this one...

I have them and LOVE them. I also have 2 kids in car seats (2 and 20 months).

The car seats never leave my car. So I removed my center arm rests which makes passage to the 3rd row effortless. It works great for the early 60's grandparents we haul around a lot.

I don't see deletes on that MSRP doc.

Driving assistance pro, meh. For the birds IMO but some may appreciate the functions it offers. I have it and don't use any of it. However "evasion assistant" might save you from an accident one day, it did for me in my last car...

That's a nice one, only missing a couple options but it has the most important ones IMO. I would personally chase bowers and Wilkins but not everyone cares about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:47 PM   #12
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Don't have carbon black but have seen it and it's amazing.

Captains chairs vs bench is another hot button topic, there are LONG threads on this one...

I have them and LOVE them. I also have 2 kids in car seats (2 and 20 months).

The car seats never leave my car. So I removed my center arm rests which makes passage to the 3rd row effortless. It works great for the early 60's grandparents we haul around a lot.

I don't see deletes on that MSRP doc.

Driving assistance pro, meh. For the birds IMO but some may appreciate the functions it offers. I have it and don't use any of it. However "evasion assistant" might save you from an accident one day, it did for me in my last car...

That's a nice one, only missing a couple options but it has the most important ones IMO. I would personally chase bowers and Wilkins but not everyone cares about that.

Thanks for this!

The "rear manual window shades" was the only thing that seemed off from the options build sheet - shouldn't that be electric?

Also - does this vehicle have a hitch receiver? or is that something that would be optioned
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #13
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

All X7’s come with powered shades, this is a known error BMW never fixed in their order guides/window stickers.

That build doesn’t look bad btw, but is not “fully loaded” either. My must haves would be B&W sound system and DAP but especially the B&W was unavailable for much of MY22 so it may be difficult to find one with it. Took me a couple months to find the right spec that checked all the boxes, but was well worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #14
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
All X7’s come with powered shades, this is a known error BMW never fixed in their order guides/window stickers.

That build doesn’t look bad btw, but is not “fully loaded” either. My must haves would be B&W sound system and DAP but especially the B&W was unavailable for much of MY22 so it may be difficult to find one with it. Took me a couple months to find the right spec that checked all the boxes, but was well worth the wait.
Thanks! Why was DAP a must have for you? Is the stock sound system terrible or just lacking in some other way vs the B&W?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:51 AM   #15
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
If you plan to do lot of highway driving DAP is very useful. I use it most of the time on highways and takes away stress of driving under speed limit and traffic. But if you are the guy who doesn’t trust autonomous driving(which I was), then skip it.

This build doesn’t have the tow hitch option. Another useful option IMO.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      03-05-2024, 05:22 AM   #16
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Carbon black is a beautiful BMW exclusive color. And yes it gives off blue/purple tones in certain light.

Bench v. Captains- search and read away.

The Driving Assistance Pro Package is a must have to me. Otherwise I believe you just have simple cruise control. My '86 Camry had the same system...

The mid level HK system is good. I did add a sub in the rear storage area for some extra ooomph. If you're not an audiophile or always have the kids in the car with you, you won't miss the B&W.

Tow hitch is a big missing option too. And it's not even about the towing. The tow hitch allows you to put bike racks or more storage on the rear. If you have to add a tow rack on post delivery, it's very pricey.

Last edited by keg97; 03-05-2024 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:37 AM   #17
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is the one OP is looking at right?

https://www.bmwconcord.com/certified...a664eefb32.htm

FWIW, Carfax says it was in a "minor" accident
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:25 AM   #18
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes that's the one - I saw the accident - will inquire. I've seen that on a lot of these used x7's and didn't think more than minor fender bender or scratch.

Decision now really comes down to wanting DHP x7 or DAP x7 w/ tow hitch.

I would use the tow hitch daily for my bike rack, obvisouly something that can be added vs the DHP which cannot.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #19
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Check into the local cost of the tow hitch install as it's not an easy job. Many here get the stealth hitch that is hidden away. Otherwise you get into needing a new bumper as the OEM hitch bumper is different than one without the hitch.

The Carbon Black has the upgraded Merino leather whereas the Artic Grey is standard Vernasca.

Can you check out each individually? There might be a big difference one v. the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:04 AM   #20
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforx7 View Post
yes that's the one - I saw the accident - will inquire. I've seen that on a lot of these used x7's and didn't think more than minor fender bender or scratch.

Decision now really comes down to wanting DHP x7 or DAP x7 w/ tow hitch.

I would use the tow hitch daily for my bike rack, obvisouly something that can be added vs the DHP which cannot.

Or get everything you want by purchasing out of state, this allows you to shop a much wider area.

Get a 3rd party inspection (lemon squad or someone else) then have it shipped (I used Shiply).

In this day and age, it's all really easy. My X7 was hauled 2000 miles and it cost me $1500 total to do this ($200 inspection and $1300 shipping).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:25 AM   #21
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

lookingforx7 Best to search for a few things on your topics as many have been much discussed. Below are just 2 threads on captains chairs vs bench seat (one is specific to car seat discussions). As with all questions- answers depend.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24531347
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30929708

We went captians chairs with the car seats. We don’t haul stuff- so no need to for the second row to go down (Captains chairs don’t). We did it as we want them when the kids outgrow the car seat and boosters (we’re hoping to hold on for a long time). Others are staunch bench seat folks as they haul things and need them to fold. More than a. Few indicate the bench have an extra inch of space. Many proclaim the gap in the captians chairs as great to access the third row. Lot’s of thoughts/opinions and items to consider. Bottom line is both are fine with car seats- both have their pros and cons.

As for Carbon Black- we saw it and loved it. We also owned multiple black cars and can’t keep them clean/swirl free. So we went with skyscraper grey. My wife likes black cars- loved the carbon black; be ready to wash and care for it if you want it to look good.

DAP- if you are using it for long trips- get it. I have a ‘23 and it’s not ‘hands free’ over 40- but it makes it so much easier to drive at highway speeds. Place a bit of pressure on the wheel and pay attention and it still basically drives itself, staying in lanes and taking moving with the road. I feel 10x better after a long drive in this than other cars because of DAP. If you live in a city with traffic- the traffic jam assist is awesome and worth it. These are what make this car truly luxury and worth the price.

Tow hitch- search the threads. A tow hitch from the factory comes with larger radiator and enhanced cooling for the engine (unadvertised). Adding after the fact you’ll miss those- as well as the camera and sensor optionality. You can add one after the fact- though will need to turn off sensors and pay a bit to get it installed. Many have opted for a stealth hitch (search that term and you’ll see examples and discussions of pricing- which is all over the board, hence someone’s suggestions to look at that in your area).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #22
lookingforx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Or get everything you want by purchasing out of state, this allows you to shop a much wider area.

Get a 3rd party inspection (lemon squad or someone else) then have it shipped (I used Shiply).

In this day and age, it's all really easy. My X7 was hauled 2000 miles and it cost me $1500 total to do this ($200 inspection and $1300 shipping).
Thanks for this - only issue is I have a trade - my Cayenne V8 - only worth about 8K and checkin engine light is on so not an easy private party sale. Not insurmountable but would be nice to be able to trade it as a part of this deal.

This one below is in Kansas and looks like it checks all the boxes - DAP, DHP, factory hitch - but is getting up there in mileage 32K. At what mileage level do you start to worry a bit more?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/701866930
Appreciate 0