Quote:
Originally Posted by thekronoschef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
No... working out details. And I'd like to see some initial owner reports, whether early release bugs pop up, and hopefully have BMW work out the seat manufacturing issues with Magna before I order. Maybe soon. Maybe 2020 model.
If you haven't ordered yet, why not just spec it with shadowline trim and save the aftermarket upcharges?
I just received mine but have a dilemma - should I do it myself or you go body shop? I know those guys don't care much and my only concern is those plastic latch mechanisms. Btw anyone here from NYC?

View post on imgur.com
I had my dealer do the mirror caps, side vents, kidneys and lower "boomerangs" on my M40i (full cerium delete). My SA is great and only charged me 1 hour of labor to do it all - around $200.
Going to the those dealer mechanic sharks for this is like to shot myself in the foot. Thanks, I rather do it myself. Just sayin'...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #68
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No... working out details. And I'd like to see some initial owner reports, whether early release bugs pop up, and hopefully have BMW work out the seat manufacturing issues with Magna before I order. Maybe soon. Maybe 2020 model.
If you haven't ordered yet, why not just spec it with shadowline trim and save the aftermarket upcharges?
I just received mine but have a dilemma - should I do it myself or you go body shop? I know those guys don't care much and my only concern is those plastic latch mechanisms. Btw anyone here from NYC?

View post on imgur.com
I had my dealer do the mirror caps, side vents, kidneys and lower "boomerangs" on my M40i (full cerium delete). My SA is great and only charged me 1 hour of labor to do it all - around $200.
Going to the those dealer mechanic sharks for this is like to shot myself in the foot. Thanks, I rather do it myself. Just sayin'...
Fair enough! My time is worth more than what I spent, but to each their own.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #69
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

View post on imgur.com
Nothing's more precious than health, love and time. But when it comes to work, money and personal time, I'd rather trade-off the difference between wastefulness and frugality with higher productivity and effective family budget management.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      04-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #70
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually, having all of that done for that price is not that bad. The mirror caps and front grill are child's play. But from what I have seen in the factory install instructions, the "boomerangs" on the bumper and the side vents (or hockey sticks) are a little more involved.

I have my shadow line grill coming in the mail tomorrow and plan to DIY the install. Since I will have both the shadow line grill and the factory chrome grill, I am thinking about trying out a hybrid grill setup like I have seen some do on the G20's. Either the black surround and chrome slats or chrome surround with black slats (I think I am initially leaning more towards the first combo though since I prefer less chrome). Incidentally, looking closer at the factory chrome grill, the slats are not actually chrome (even though the surround is clearly chrome). The slats are more of a brushed aluminum color, slightly lighter than cerium grey. Also, the brushed aluminum grill slats seem to closely match the brushed aluminum on the factory 21" wheels, which may provide a nice, subtle matching contrast.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 04-30-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #71
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Actually, having all of that done for that price is not that bad. The mirror caps and front grill are child's play. But from what I have seen in the factory install instructions, the "boomerangs" on the bumper and the side vents (or hockey sticks) are a little more involved.

I have my shadow line grill coming in the mail tomorrow and plan to DIY the install. Since I will have both the shadow line grill and the factory chrome grill, I am thinking about trying out a hybrid grill setup: either the black surround and chrome slats or chrome surround with black slats. Incidentally, looking closer at the factory chrome grill, the slats are not actually chrome (even though the surround is clearly chrome). The slats are more of a brushed aluminum color, slightly lighter than cerum grey.
Agree - it was the boomerangs that deterred me from doing it myself. Although supposedly not necessary, even the mechanics at BMW partially removed the front bumper so as not to break the clips.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #72
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

View post on imgur.com
Nothing's more precious than health, love and time. But when it comes to work, money and personal time, I'd rather trade-off the difference between wastefulness and frugality with higher productivity and effective family budget management.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #73
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

This thread is like Bartlett's book of quotations.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 12:21 AM   #74
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

What is the difference between the IND and OEM blacked out grille?

Also, any DIY threads here? I've done other BMW grilles before but don't want to break any clips on this one

jmciver ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #75
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
What is the difference between the IND and OEM blacked out grille?

Also, any DIY threads here? I've done other BMW grilles before but don't want to break any clips on this one

jmciver ?
IIRC, IND just painted the OEM chrome grill black before BMW finally released the shadow line grill. IND will paint just about any part for you (for a hefty price IMHO), but if you want the shadow line grill, I recommend finding the OEM one from the cheapest online vendor you can find.

As far as a DIY for X7 grill removal, I did see a few posts about it when the X7 was just released. It is actually quite easy to get off/on. As far the hybrid grill that I did, I did take a few pics but never did a DIY. Not that difficult to see the clips once the grill is off. Just takes patience to not brake any (and I did brake one, but it did not affect the strength of the grill).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0