BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carwow - BMW X7 vs Range Rover see which is the best luxury SUV

09-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #89
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Let's just let this thread die peacefully.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #90
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Let's keep it going guys. I think it's good to respectfully debate the pros and cons of each brand and each car. I am definitely cross shopping both the RR and the X7 as my next car, in addition to X5M, M5, GLE and may be a couple of others. As others said here, many of us own multiple cars of various brands and cross shop all the time. It's good to have many options.

FWIW, I am a huge BMW fan but every time I am in the Hamptons I see 5 RRs for each 1 BMW or MB.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #91
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I did. We’ve been buying $100+ cars for a decade or more. Currently have four. We’ve never, ever considered a RR. I’ve never thought it was an attractive car, and I don’t count people who drive them as more “prestigious.” Opinions shouldn’t be stated as if they’re facts.
Well, you’d be in the minority. The link that was provided showing how RR is one of the top selling $100k vehicles only strengthens my point. As enthusiast of the car community, we can all agree which brands lean closer to prestige than others. Aston Martin, for example, is universally accepted as being at the pinnacle of class and prestige. Same goes for Range Rovers. I mean, it’s the vehicle of choice by the Royal Family, if that matters. I see the X7 as an expensive alternative to the RR but certainly it cannot compete as far as road presence and is not even remotely revered as such. BMW has always been in a weird space of trying to be luxurious yet, sport based..while not committing to either. Once people really get their money up, BMW Loses its traction because one tends to branch out to vehicles that REALLY exude elegance, class and status. That’s why most M drivers typically move UP to Porsche and the like.
I'm with MissDuvy. I would never consider a RR. Have 2 coworkers who think their RR are always in the shop and build quality is poor. I haven't heard that from dozens of 7 series and F85 X5M that I know. In my experience, RR is not the go to Luxury SUV for many people who can buy whatever they want.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #92
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I'm with MissDuvy. I would never consider a RR. Have 2 coworkers who think their RR are always in the shop and build quality is poor. I haven't heard that from dozens of 7 series and F85 X5M that I know. In my experience, RR is not the go to Luxury SUV for many people who can buy whatever they want.
It's hard to generalize but at least in NY it does feel like RR is the first choice for many luxury SUV buyers, especially those that aspire status and not as focused on driving experience like most of us here. Everyone knows how bad the RR reliability is and yet there are so many buyers. As much as I like M cars, I plan to include an RR on my list of cars I will look at when my lease is up.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      09-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #93
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
It's hard to generalize but at least in NY it does feel like RR is the first choice for many luxury SUV buyers, especially those that aspire status and not as focused on driving experience like most of us here. Everyone knows how bad the RR reliability is and yet there are so many buyers. As much as I like M cars, I plan to include an RR on my list of cars I will look at when my lease is up.
Not everyone knows but if you do know and still buy you’re more worried about your status then driving the better reliable vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #94
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Not everyone knows but if you do know and still buy you’re more worried about your status then driving the better reliable vehicle.
Ding, ding, ding. Many people buy cars, clothes, watches, etc, not for the quality but for the perception. And that is ok, if that is what you like. We all make choices in life for different reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #95
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
I have just bought a Range Rover sport HST after test driving the X7 50i
I was totally unimpressed by the x7 for the price. The interior in the Range Rover is better, it drives better, all around a much better experience. This is coming from someone who owns an M3,M4 and an X5.
One of the best looking SUVs out there. Beautiful in red! Nice choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #96
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
So why drive BMW if Corolla is more reliable according to your logic? I've certainly had a number of not insignificant issues with my last three BMW leases that my dealer was able to resolve quickly. Bad pump lines, defective center console modules, etc. I think one is kidding himself by saying that buying RR is only about the status and BMW is not.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #97
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
So why drive BMW if Corolla is more reliable according to your logic? I've certainly had a number of not insignificant issues with my last three BMW leases that my dealer was able to resolve quickly. Bad pump lines, defective center console modules, etc. I think one is kidding himself by saying that buying RR is only about the status and BMW is not.
Corolla is not a luxury car so it would be unfair to compare. If BMW wanted to turn and burn entry level sedans I’m sure it would be a valid competitor but that’s not their target market.
I don’t see how anyone can kid themselves about stated facts that have been validated year after year after year. BMW is clearly the more reliable luxury brand no matter how many issues you've personally had with your vehicles. I don’t see how any one can argue otherwise.

If you’re buying a bottom of the barrel reliability brand simply because you see wealthy people on tv or in the Hamptons drive them then your buying for status. No question about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #98
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:
How long the RR is produced and how long is X7? This could be a clue why you see so many RR.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #99
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

I hereby nominate this thread the worst of 2019
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #100
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
+1
      09-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #101
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Haven’t checked back in a while it really degenerated, sad...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #102
SharpPencil
Rep
Drives: Vogue, Macan GTS

Can’t believe I actually read thru the entire thread 😅

Back to the question I was here for, I am a hardcore fan of Range Rover and i used to own a 5L Full Sized Range Rover. Took it to some mountain roads and felt it was a little too floaty round the bends.

Before I commit on the X7, Just curious if anyone here has first hand experience comparing the handling between the X7 & Full Sized RR ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #103
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Yes, I originally was looking for full size RR and was looking forward to switching away from BMWs (I'm on my 5th). After driving full size RR a couple of times I found it too floaty, although very comfortable. I also found RR now feels dated vs. X7. I need large, comfortable 4 seater that inspires confidence while driving, yet still luxurious. X7 m50i with 2 captain chairs fit the bill perfectly.

If I wanted fun to drive SUV, Cayenne S out handled everything else I tried.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #104
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPencil View Post

Back to the question I was here for, I am a hardcore fan of Range Rover and i used to own a 5L Full Sized Range Rover. Took it to some mountain roads and felt it was a little too floaty round the bends.

Before I commit on the X7, Just curious if anyone here has first hand experience comparing the handling between the X7 & Full Sized RR ?
We came from a 3 year lease on a RR HSE. Both my wife and I can safely say the X7 is a much better handling vehicle.

Few comparison points...out RR had the 22inch wheels, also our X7 has 22 inch wheels, m-perf brakes, and IAS.

The X7 simply feels more planted, Much more stable at speed, much more stable under braking, just better overall ride, think 7 series just up higher. The air suspension in the X7 has a nice balance between handling and compliance. The RR air suspension is all about floating/wafting down the road and not at all about handling. We are very happy with our decision to go with the X7.
      02-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #105
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
I purchased a '14 RRS around the same time that I traded my ''11.5 E92 ZCP M3 for a '14 335i M-Sport. I kept that SAV for two months before I sold it for a profit. It made me feel so old driving it. Never again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #106
SharpPencil
Rep
Drives: Vogue, Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-CK View Post
Yes, I originally was looking for full size RR and was looking forward to switching away from BMWs (I'm on my 5th). After driving full size RR a couple of times I found it too floaty, although very comfortable. I also found RR now feels dated vs. X7. I need large, comfortable 4 seater that inspires confidence while driving, yet still luxurious. X7 m50i with 2 captain chairs fit the bill perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:
Can't believe I actually read thru the entire thread 😅

We came from a 3 year lease on a RR HSE. Both my wife and I can safely say the X7 is a much better handling vehicle.

Few comparison points...out RR had the 22inch wheels, also our X7 has 22 inch wheels, m-perf brakes, and IAS.

The X7 simply feels more planted, Much more stable at speed, much more stable under braking, just better overall ride, think 7 series just up higher. The air suspension in the X7 has a nice balance between handling and compliance. The RR air suspension is all about floating/wafting down the road and not at all about handling. We are very happy with our decision to go with the X7.

Great! Just what I wanted to hear 👍🏻 No regrets then !
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #107
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:

Same lol.

I’ll say this I will never own a RR again. The worst part minus it’s maintenance issues was the slow a$$ ridiculous infotainment. My god it’s awful. The sound system lol, their answer is add more bass. I thought the Burmeister in my Cayenne was far superior.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #108
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-CK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:
Can't believe I actually read thru the entire thread 😅

Great! Just what I wanted to hear 👍🏻 No regrets then !
Absolutely no regrets. X7 is a better SUV than the RR.
      02-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #109
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
range rover sells purely because it is a range rover.
x7 sells because it is good and has to be much better to sell.
plus range rover is old and due a refresh though it looks better than the X7
But when have bmw owners (especially post 2018 bought a BMW just because they look good? most don't)
So I wouldn't be caught dead inside a range rover as it associates me with old people , stay at home cosmetically enhanced wives,footballers,wannabe posers who live in a 2 bed flat)
I would buy an X7 as my next purchase coz bmw drives better and is reliable and often leaves the range rover in a cloud of dust when accelerating bar extremely rare svr scenarios
Appreciate 0