BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum reprogramming wishlist

01-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
nclee
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Lexus RX 300

reprogramming wishlist

I love my new X7 but have found several details I wish I could reprogram:
1) stop the steering wheel from retracting every time I get out of the car. Hey, I'm not 300 lbs or 100 yrs old...
2) be able to utilize entire screen width to display full titles of music being played on radio or CD
3) allow me to fold in mirrors while driving faster than 10 mph--I don't necessarily want to alarm the car behind me by slamming on the brakes when I see that oncoming lumber truck on a narrow road...
4) reverse the order of seat heating settings, so that I only have to press the button once in order to turn it on low (I almost never need medium or high)
5) allow backup assist to continue functioning even if I press the fisheye camera button (sometimes you have to see around a corner when backing out onto a road)
6) allow shortcuts to be set to more functions, e.g. xdrive display
7) remember previously selected auto stop/start setting (I know some programmers already offer this one)

Does the guarantee get voided if the owner makes changes to the software?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclee View Post
I love my new X7 but have found several details I wish I could reprogram:
1) stop the steering wheel from retracting every time I get out of the car. Hey, I'm not 300 lbs or 100 yrs old...
2) be able to utilize entire screen width to display full titles of music being played on radio or CD
3) allow me to fold in mirrors while driving faster than 10 mph--I don't necessarily want to alarm the car behind me by slamming on the brakes when I see that oncoming lumber truck on a narrow road...
4) reverse the order of seat heating settings, so that I only have to press the button once in order to turn it on low (I almost never need medium or high)
5) allow backup assist to continue functioning even if I press the fisheye camera button (sometimes you have to see around a corner when backing out onto a road)
6) allow shortcuts to be set to more functions, e.g. xdrive display
7) remember previously selected auto stop/start setting (I know some programmers already offer this one)

Does the guarantee get voided if the owner makes changes to the software?
Most of the items on your list should be able to be addressed with coding, with some probably available now (items #3 and #7 should be available now). However, iDrive 7 coding is still relatively new as the coders are still learning what is possible and what isn't. But that iDrive 7 knowledge database is growing pretty fast as all of the new BMWs are coming with ID7.

Regarding your question about if coding will affect your warranty, technically you are altering the stock configuration of your car. Those coding changes could possibly damage something (i.e. "brick" a controller or ECU). However causing damage to an ECU or controller is very rare, especially if you stick to coding known parameters and don't randomly explore/change the thousands of coding parameters inside each controller/ECU in the car.

All that said, I have not heard of anyone ever losing their warranty on any electronic components in their car due to coding. Usually the worst thing that happens is if you have some coding done to your car, and the dealer needs to update your software to address an issue, you will lose all of your coding, requiring to get it done again after you get your car back from the dealer.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 01-23-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0