2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Damn...just got bit by the Goodyear bubble

06-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #23
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusgutsIS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Sorry about your car man,I live in queens and had this same problem with a 2007 srt8 jeep,I can't believe Goodyear never fixed these tires yet,I just ordered 535i with sport package it's going to happen all over again,I do know Goodyear warranties there tire for 1 year without excessive where,I had to locate a tire and had to have an Goodyear dealer check the tire and they installed it,thats how Jeep did it antway.I was at the BMW dealer yesterday and asked about the tire insurance it's $1495 for three years and it covers rims,I asked them what's with the bubble issue with these tires,they blame it on the Bad roads,this is true to an extent,im coming out of a 2008 LS460 19'' wheels regular tires, Manhatten everyday 3000 pot holes later with no issues. I think you should complain to BMW that you don't want the Goodyears anymore you want the Michelins rfts you feel the Goodyears aren't safe,I think if you still want to run rfts even with Michelins is to get the insurance, but all in all it's always a pain but you will be covered.I doubt Goodyear will call BMW to complain about there product and tell the dealer to put competing tires on(Michelins).Your gonna have to do that! Anyway I'm going to get the insurance to be on the safe side,Good luck let us know the outcome.
thanks but do you think that they will switch out the goodyears with michelins free of cost? and i have to finall see what happens tommorow when they finally drop the car off to life quality
No,
I think they will try hard not to replace your tires with Michelins but replace the goodyears you damaged ,you don't have tire insurance so it falls on Goodyear that is only 1 year warranty, once the tire is one year old or worn to there specs your on your own $500 a tire, if you have tire insurance it falls on BMW for your defense then you might have a better chance to get Michelins, the best you can do is bitch to them the problems these tires have and maybe because it's so new and it's a M sport they will do it .Good Luck!
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusgutsIS View Post
thanks but do you think that they will switch out the goodyears with michelins free of cost? and i have to finall see what happens tommorow when they finally drop the car off to life quality
In answer to your question, it seems to depend. I did get them to give me the tire of my choice, Michelin PSS. Others have not be given the same choice.

First call Goodyear Customer Assistance Center 1-800-321-2136, get a reference number for your case. Guess it partly the luck of the draw but some of the personnel are well aware of the problems and are very helpful. They will send you to a Goodyear store or authorized retailer. This retailer seems to impact the experience and the result although I don't know how to predict who will be most helpful.

I can tell you Eddie at the Goodyear store in Englewood, NJ was very helpful to me.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered 535xi Sport,So there is a chance I can request the tire of my choice?and how are the Michelin rfts vs the Goodyears any problems?I would really like to stay away from Goodyear tires if I can because of the experience I had with an Srt8 Jeep,I had a few fixes because of golfballs on the sidewall
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
arthman
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xi

crap. was washing my rims yesterday and noticed 2 large bubbles 180 degrees apart on driver front tire. Goodyear eagle LS2 245/40R19 - 535ix, with sport option (not M). car is 2 months old, 3,000 miles, driven by the most conservative BMW owner on this forum, on decent central PA roads. What the HECK!!

After now reading all these posts I feel completely duped. purchased car 2 months ago, dealer obviously knows there are problems. if they had said... wouldn't get this option because we have had issues with low profile Goodyear RFTs, or even would definitely by insurance because of issues if you really want these options, I would have still bought a BMW.

Instead, no discussion, do you want tire insurance (no - I have driven for 35 years, only had a hand full of nails, never bent a rim OR had a defective tire). I am really ticked off.

Spoke with service manager, needs to inspect car. If "signs of impact" (wouldn;t tell me how they tell this) then no coverage, $400 to order a backordered tire, etc. Of course there are signs of impact, I drive on a damn road. Where do they expect us to drive?

This is all bull. BMW needs to fess up that they should never have sold these rims and these tires on a $75,000 auto that, gee whiz, you want to drive on a ROAD. I already logged my complaint on the NHTSA website. I don;t know anything about class action suits, but I can tell you that this is my second BMW, and while I loved my first one, that unless this is rectified, BMW has lost me as a future customer and I will spread the word about this to everyone I know contemplating buying a BMW, and if everyone else did that, maybe there would be enough oomph for BMW to stand tall and admit their mistake.

Can you tell I am ticked?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #27
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthman View Post
crap. was washing my rims yesterday and noticed 2 large bubbles 180 degrees apart on driver front tire. Goodyear eagle LS2 245/40R19 - 535ix, with sport option (not M). car is 2 months old, 3,000 miles, driven by the most conservative BMW owner on this forum, on decent central PA roads. What the HECK!!

After now reading all these posts I feel completely duped. purchased car 2 months ago, dealer obviously knows there are problems. if they had said... wouldn't get this option because we have had issues with low profile Goodyear RFTs, or even would definitely by insurance because of issues if you really want these options, I would have still bought a BMW.

Instead, no discussion, do you want tire insurance (no - I have driven for 35 years, only had a hand full of nails, never bent a rim OR had a defective tire). I am really ticked off.

Spoke with service manager, needs to inspect car. If "signs of impact" (wouldn;t tell me how they tell this) then no coverage, $400 to order a backordered tire, etc. Of course there are signs of impact, I drive on a damn road. Where do they expect us to drive?

This is all bull. BMW needs to fess up that they should never have sold these rims and these tires on a $75,000 auto that, gee whiz, you want to drive on a ROAD. I already logged my complaint on the NHTSA website. I don;t know anything about class action suits, but I can tell you that this is my second BMW, and while I loved my first one, that unless this is rectified, BMW has lost me as a future customer and I will spread the word about this to everyone I know contemplating buying a BMW, and if everyone else did that, maybe there would be enough oomph for BMW to stand tall and admit their mistake.

I am sure BMW is not happy either and I bet they have a contract with GY.

Make you life easy brother and just ditch the RFT all together. These tires are not perfected yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #28
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthman View Post

I least in my case, Goodyear stepped up to deal with the problem. Dealer did not!

You have a separate warranty from Goodyear for the tires, it's on the CD that came with the printed manual. Warranty is replacement for 1 year or 2/32 of wear for any road hazards. Goodyear will honor that commitment, or I should say they did for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #29
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

You're not going to be able to request a tire of choice. BMW makes and spec's out a 535XI with run-flat all season tires. There is only one tire in a 245-40-19, a Goodyear LS2. No other company makes this size in an AS run-flat. Thus the problem for BMW. They have a bad tire. Everyone by now knows it. If they let you switch to say a Michelin run-flat it will be a performance/summer tire. The liability would be huge for BMW if you then drove it into a guard rail or into opposing traffic in winter not knowing the limitations of that tire. Same issue to a lesser extent if they let you swap it out with a non-run flat. You don't have a spare. You or your wife get stranded at night without a spare and something happens.

Right now if you don't want the all-season LS2 run-flat all season you'll have to order the 535I M-Sport. Most are coming with either Dunlap, Goodyear or perhaps Michelin performance/summer run-flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I just ordered 535xi Sport,So there is a chance I can request the tire of my choice?and how are the Michelin rfts vs the Goodyears any problems?I would really like to stay away from Goodyear tires if I can because of the experience I had with an Srt8 Jeep,I had a few fixes because of golfballs on the sidewall

Last edited by crmgr; 06-28-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #30
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=crmgr;9912800]You're not going to be able to request a tire of choice. BMW makes and spec's out a 535XI with run-flat all season tires. There is only one tire in a 245-40-19, a Goodyear LS2. No other company makes this size in an AS run-flat. Thus the problem for BMW. They have a bad tire. Everyone by now knows it. If they let you switch to say a Michelin run-flat it will be a performance/summer tire. The liability would be huge for BMW if you then drove it into a guard rail or into opposing traffic in winter not knowing the limitations of that tire. Same issue to a lesser extent if they let you swap it out with a non-run flat. You don't have a spare. You or your wife get stranded at night without a spare and something happens.

Right now if you don't want the all-season LS2 run-flat all season you'll have to order the 535I M-Sport. Most are coming with either Dunlap, Goodyear or perhaps Michelin performance/summer run-flats.

Ok thanks,I agree with the non runflat and no spare being an issue,but if they can install a summer tire on the M without liable issues ,they should the sport ,the rims are the same size? And you can get the m sport in x drive? So an all season tire really isnt needed,I would take my chances with a good summer tire than a crap all season tire with x drive even for the snow Agree?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #31
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

It would be whatever you can work out with the dealer. BMW would never sanction it given the liability issue. If the dealer balks because of the same issue you can always go direct to Goodyear and ask them to replace your LS2's with a summer/performance tire. They appear to be willing to do that under their warranty even with another brand due to the number of complaints they have received from angry owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Whipple;9917357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post
You're not going to be able to request a tire of choice. BMW makes and spec's out a 535XI with run-flat all season tires. There is only one tire in a 245-40-19, a Goodyear LS2. No other company makes this size in an AS run-flat. Thus the problem for BMW. They have a bad tire. Everyone by now knows it. If they let you switch to say a Michelin run-flat it will be a performance/summer tire. The liability would be huge for BMW if you then drove it into a guard rail or into opposing traffic in winter not knowing the limitations of that tire. Same issue to a lesser extent if they let you swap it out with a non-run flat. You don't have a spare. You or your wife get stranded at night without a spare and something happens.

Ok thanks,I agree with the non runflat and no spare being an issue,but if they can install a summer tire on the M without liable issues ,they should the sport ,the rims are the same size? And you can get the m sport in x drive? So an all season tire really isnt needed,I would take my chances with a good summer tire than a crap all season tire with x drive even for the snow Agree?
Summer tires below 40 degrees Fahrenheit start to become hard, as the temperature drops it gets progressively worse. I would not want to be driving on summer tires in very cold conditions let alone in snow. xDrive or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi MSport - TiAg

[QUOTE=Whipple;9917357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post

In Canada, when you buy a BMW with sport package (equipped with summer only tires), the bill of sale has a waive of liability clause that says something like
"The Buyer understands that the car purchased is supplied with summer only tires and will need to be equipped for winter with winter tires. The Buyer waives all liability to BMW and the dealership in respect of the increased costs of winter tires or any consequences of the failure of the Buyer to equip the car with winter tires."
Since my 535xi was equipped with all seasons, they wrote N/A in that clause where the buyer is supposed to initial. However, I'm sure at least in Canada they could easily draft a simple waiver (even a simple amendment to the purchase contract where "N/A" is struck out and the clause initialed). Anyhow, the point is that this should not be a legitimate concern for a dealer as Canadian dealerships address it every day.

08 BMW K1200S / 2002 330ci Sport (sold) / 1989 635csi (sold)
07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LMM
09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0