BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs X50 - I find it difficult to decide.

09-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

X7 vs X50 - I find it difficult to decide.

So over last month I did some homework and had good few test drives in both X7 and X5.

I liked both cars but X7 had a noticeably better ride comfort. The only problem is that after missing out on the M50d model I am left with couple of 40i and 40d models that are in most cases a standard specs with only M Sport and M Sport Pro packs, some might have Technology and Visibility Pack too.

I really like the M50D sound and power however the one I was going to buy got sold and I can only get X5 with this engine.

The x7 40i I tried I found pretty lackluster in sound unless in high RPMs which I will rarely be able to achieve in mainly city driving. The 40d sounds nice and feels it has more torque which is nice but again it's not the M50d.

I'm in late stages of negotiations with couple of dealers and I'm down to 10-15k EUR / 12-17k USD between the X5 m50d and the x7 40d/i.

Unfortunately in the current state of the chip shortages I would have to wait at least 6 months for new X7 that I get to spec to my taste. What I am after is the IAS and executive drive suspension (not sure what's the exact name) and obviously M50d engine - which as it stands now I cannot get anyway.

So I am bit torn (I know it's such a terrible worry to have given all the $$it going on in the world) but again it's a significant purchase and I'm wondering am I being reasonable or just way too picky.

This is the spec I selected LINK HERE

I'd probably throw in laser lights, but I don't really want to put sizeable deposit and wait 6+ months in case something shows up in the mean time.

I know I can drive without the IAS as the x7 even as standard is an upgrade compared to my 5 series G30.

So what would you recommend, especially that for 10-15k euro more I can jump onto the x7 but at a cost of different spec and engine...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:34 AM   #2
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Hi Adblue
I was in the same confused state 6 months ago after trading in my X5 M50d and wanting an X7 with the same engine.
I've used Inchcape Reading BMW for many years and asked them to seek out a search for the X7 M50d even though they had stopped manufacturing them. I was lucky that they found a brand new vehicle to the spec I wanted on the BMW UK stock list and a great price which I took delivery of in April.
I know there were not many brand new M50ds left in the country at the time however if you are prepared to accept you may not get the spec you want but are wanting the M50d then I would ask the question with BMW Reading - ask for Tristan Jewett.
Otherwise I'm sure you could go with a nearly new M50d however the lease finance rates are not as good as buying brand new
I wouldn't sacrifice not getting the SUV you want as you may regret it for years to come.
The torque, speed and exhaust tone are fantastic on the M50d having test drove the 40d and 40i.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
      09-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

I'm across the pond from you and most likely will be going with the X5 M50d. Again its not the exact spec I'd like to have but at least it has the m50d engine. Subject to one last final test drive of the x7 40d, but spec on that one is rather basic with nothing in terms of extras added. So it's hard to decide. Long waiting time for new one really doesn't make sense especially that I am asked to put 20k of deposit and wait that long or maybe even longer. I missed out on two X7s with M50d this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:15 AM   #4
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
I'm across the pond from you and most likely will be going with the X5 M50d. Again its not the exact spec I'd like to have but at least it has the m50d engine. Subject to one last final test drive of the x7 40d, but spec on that one is rather basic with nothing in terms of extras added. So it's hard to decide. Long waiting time for new one really doesn't make sense especially that I am asked to put 20k of deposit and wait that long or maybe even longer. I missed out on two X7s with M50d this week.
I'm just outside London, not across the pond?
I'd still contact BMW Reading as their customer service is 5*.
They maybe able to locate a brand new UK stock X7M50d?
Good luck with the purchase.
      09-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

I feel your pain. I have an X7 M50d. I haven't driven the others, but have driven the X5 with the 3.0D in M-Sport. When it comes down to the comparison between the 2 - there is none in terms of luxury and practicality. Its the X7 all day long.

However, having owned the X7 for 2.5 years, amazing though the 50d engine is, it really isn't needed for 95% of the driving I do. If I can make the number work, I'll be trading it in for a new 40d at the end of the year. The difference will be a bunch of options that Ive had to live without on the M50D. If I trade down, it will be to get the driving assistant, rear seat entertainment, ventilated and massage seats and a few other bits I didn't get on the 50D. The 50D engine is a truly amazing piece of engineering though, I will definitely miss it.

I should mention that I just splurged on an M4. That helps me to be more sensible when considering the choice around the X7 :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:03 AM   #6
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

I live in Ireland and choice that is available here is very small. In order for me to be able to pick and choose various options I would need to order brand new at dealership and wait 6 months for it (possibly longer).

The car I built for myself came to €160k or €152k after dealer discount. Its a 40d. M Sport, with comfort access, driver assistant pro, IAS and executive drive. I kept seats with standard leather and picked the color I liked.

The x7 I am looking at has only msport pro pack and crystal gear knob nonsense (otherwise it’s a bog standard version). This comes just under €130k. It’s a 40d. Has comfort access doors but for example doesn’t have the automatic bottom tail gate, why is that not a standard on x7 I don’t know. It’s a demo car with around 10k miles on the clock.

I had an extensive test drive yesterday day and I have to say I really loved it. It’s jumpy enough and very comfortable in regular driving. 90% of the time I will be doin school runs and city driving with weekend trips (at least for the first few months while excitement lasts). I went to Ikea car park and did few tests and it’s easy enough to park. Loved the glass roof. It’s very polished and luxurious ride. Engines sound good enough from the speakers and its not lacking power for the weight of the car.

Then I went to test drive x5 m50d. Definitely better sound. Getting to and above legal motorway limit here (120km) in no time. Sounds good at 140kmph in manual shifting. Had active steering which will help when I have go go shopping as supermarket car parks in Ireland are very tight and packed. But no glass roof, dark leather interior no driver assistant pro. Sounds great tho and has the engine I want and has the IAS. Plus its around €15k cheaper than the demo x7. And even has fully automatic tail gate (incl. bottom part while x7 does not).

I’m currently driving 2018 520d xdrive touring and going back to it after all the test drives it didn’t feel like a major downgrade. Interior pretty much the same, pretty fast too comparing with the other two. I think the very similar interior is taking away some of the wow factor of getting new car. I’m beginning to feel that maybe neither of them is a car for me. It’s a big upgrade in value but it doesn’t feel like that in the actual car to me. Maybe because I have to compromise so much with the spec of each model.

I know it’s a ridiculous problem to have but I really find if difficult to pick one. Maybe i’ll toss a coin because I know that if I buy one I will regret not getting the other. I guess it must be the fact that neither of them has the perfect spec for what I am looking for on the other hand the 5 series has very few bells and whistles and I get by without them just fine…

Is x7 fitted with the acoustic glass or is it an option the way it is with the x5?

Last edited by Adblue; 09-16-2021 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:35 AM   #7
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Adblue,

The acoustic glass is standard on the X7's, well certainly in the UK.
I thought all X7's had automatic electric tail gates top and bottom?

Best of luck with your search.
      09-16-2021, 03:58 AM   #8
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

I would imagine they do, but the one I checked didn’t which is bit odd.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

I decided to go with the x5 m50d for now. Have some fun with it for a year or two and once things improve with supply chain and I’ll get older and wiser, I’ll get x7/x8? with the right spec for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
I decided to go with the x5 m50d for now. Have some fun with it for a year or two and once things improve with supply chain and I’ll get older and wiser, I’ll get x7/x8? with the right spec for my liking.
X8? May win ugliest modern SAV coupe ever 🤷🏻 https://www.carwow.co.uk/bmw/news/3901/bmw-x8-price-specs-release-date#gref
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

Will see once its out.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep

Last minute change with the car. Still X5 M50d but managed to get my hands on pretty much fully spec'd version.
Appreciate 0