BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Switchable Rocker Arm Recall

01-03-2024, 07:41 PM   #1
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5/ 2024 X7 40i

Switchable Rocker Arm Recall

Anyone else receive this recall in the mail? I VIN checked BMW recalls and it says no recalls. Maybe that’s why it is a “voluntary” recall?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:15 AM   #2
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

My 24 X5 had this. Motors that were made from May-July for X5, X6, X7 and 7 series fell into this service action. I first read about it back in the early summer when a few cars went in for misfires on BMWtech section on Reddit. When they pulled the valve cover, several springs were broken. BMW had to replace the motors as I assume the valves got tagged. So the alarm bells went off to try and find a reason and a fix. I bought my X5 June 6th and in July my VIN showed a service action here:
https://vehiclerecall.bmwgroup.com/i...bn&language=en

I called my SA with the code that the website showed in early August and after some research, he said there is no fix as he's showing a red X for it but it has to do with springs and cam followers. Once it turns to a green check mark, then they can proceed. He didn't know anything about it as this was the first time he'd heard about it but would call me once BMW had a fix. Early November he called and I took it in. I was not happy with only 1.9k miles, it was going under the knife. This is very involved but the motor doesn't have to come out and the head doesn't have to come off either. He showed me the instructions the techs were to use for this. It took them a day and a half to complete. There is a long list of parts they replace. It's a preventative measure as I assume an engine change if the parts break. My 2 sisters bought X7's in July and they both were included in this service program.

Last edited by B767capt; 01-04-2024 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Called my local BMW, SA was clueless. Transferred me to someone else and told me that it needs to be inspected first. Then determine what repairs need to be made.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:21 PM   #4
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G63 & 24 XB7

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
I took delivery of my 24 XB7 last month after a long ten month wait.
I just checked my vin and I have no listed recalls so it seems they resolved this before my build.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:49 PM   #5
alee657
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

My dealer contacted me about this recall and had me bring in the car. That was 3 weeks ago and the car is still with them. After they tried to fix the rocker arms, they said they needed to replace the cylinder head and apparently now, the timing is off and they are working with bmw engineering to fix.

Anyone else done this recall and had similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:36 PM   #6
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee657 View Post
My dealer contacted me about this recall and had me bring in the car. That was 3 weeks ago and the car is still with them. After they tried to fix the rocker arms, they said they needed to replace the cylinder head and apparently now, the timing is off and they are working with bmw engineering to fix.

My car has been in there for 2 weeks now. They texted me today that they needed additional parts. Hopefully it doesnt delay much longer, this X3 is not really doing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:02 PM   #7
BMWDriver007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, M3, 540ix, Audi A8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee657 View Post

I am experiencing the SAME EXACT ISSUE as alee657. It's interesting - I did not receive information from BMW corporate regarding the recall. Nor was I contacted by my selling dealership. I was proactively contacted by a different dealership who seems to be having SIGNIFICANT trouble repairing the vehicle. This is quite frustrating considering I only have 1200 miles on my brand new X7. There needs to be better communication and transparency from the dealership and BMW NA. Repairing a faulty rocker arm is one thing. Replacing the cylinder heads and not understanding how to correct a timing issue is UNACCEPTABLE.
Appreciate 0