E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anybody know how to remove the rear seat backrest? For a Sirius install

01-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Antilochus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Anybody know how to remove the rear seat backrest? For a Sirius install

Does anybody know how to remove the rear seat backrest in a E90?

I am trying to install Sirius radio and unfortunately, my rear seats do not fold. I need to remove the drivers side rear seat backrest to access my junction blocks. I tried to pull with the hopes that it "pops" out but I felt like I was going to break something. Once again, I do not have the optional fold down rear seat (SA645). Calling all BMW Sirius gurus for help.... Thanks, Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2008 335Ci

just grab the bottom

of the bolster and pull hard. It will pop out. Be advised, none of the fiber lines in my car for the MOST system were the same as in the diagram...had to go to the dealer. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antilochus View Post

I am trying to install Sirius radio and unfortunately, my rear seats do not fold. I need to remove the drivers side rear seat backrest to access my junction blocks. I tried to pull with the hopes that it "pops" out but I felt like I was going to break something. Once again, I do not have the optional fold down rear seat (SA645). Calling all BMW Sirius gurus for help.... Thanks, Bill
Sort through this thread: it may help show you where to find your wires eventhough your are not installing XM through the shark fin: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16587

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Antilochus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Removing back seat

I found the answer to my question. I got the below response from another member.

"when you lay on the floor in the trunk looking at the rear shelf you will see the 2 access holes (there is a metal tab). When you look into the hole you will see a white plastic disk - this is NOT the release. The release is the metal ring that you will see inside the access hole - concentric to the hole. Push this towards the outside of the car while applying a little pressure to the seat back - you will hear a click and the top of the seat will be loose. Repeat for the other side. Then all you need to do is pull the rear seat bottom up - just pull on each side. Remove the seat bottom then unbolt the 2 center hold downs for the seat back."

On a different note, for those looking to save money on a Sirius Install. I used a Sirius Radio from a 7 series on my E90 and despite some minor coding problems at the dealership, the radio works. The difference in price between the two radios is about $200.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
nightcrawler
what you saw was actually the air I displaced...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black w/ Dinan mods

Garage List
Front Drivers Seat Removal

Anyone ever had to remove the drivers seat?
Got a damn mechanical pencil under my seat some how.. and its roll'in around
all the time. It's seriously getting annoying.

Thannks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antilochus View Post

I mounted my antenna inside and ran the wire down the drivers side under the molding trim:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108674
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
catie
Rep
Drives: 328i and 335i

Are you installing the BMW Sirius unit, or are you installing a plug and play (PnP) Sirius radio? If installing a PnP, you don't need to get into the MOST connectors, and you don't need to pull the back of the back seat, just the bottom, if you need to run a wire from the cabin into the trunk - i.e. running the antenna wire to the sharkfin.

If installing a BMW Sirius unit, then you probably will have to pull the back seat. On the 2007 3 series (and I assume the 2008), there is no separate bolster on the non-folding seats.
Appreciate 0