BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Pricing and Specs For 2020 BMW X7 M50i With Newest N63 V8

05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Pricing and Specs For 2020 BMW X7 M50i With Newest N63 V8

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Pricing and Specs For BMW X5 M50i and X7 M50i With Newest N63 V8 Announced
COMMENTS

• New M Performance variants of BMW X5 and X7 SAV’s.
• 523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque and M GmbH model specific tuning.
• 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds for X5 M50i and 4.5 seconds for X7 M50i.
• Pricing: $82,150 for X5 M50i and $99,600 for X7 M50i. Plus $995 Destination.
• Production to begin August 2019.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 21, 2019...Today, BMW introduces two new M Performance models, the BMW X5 M50i and BMW X7 M50i, which join the X5 and X7 lineups this fall when production begins in BMW Plant Spartanburg, SC.

Both models feature the new top version of the N63 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V8 engine backed by an eight-speed sport automatic transmission, BMW’s xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive , M Sport differential, M Sport exhaust system and model-specific M GmbH suspension tuning.
Offering true sports car performance, both BMW Sports Activity Vehicles offer excellent handling and traction across varied surfaces and weather conditions complemented by luxurious interior appointments and the same towing capabilities as their non-M Performance siblings.

Power and performance

The latest generation of the 4.4-liter eight-cylinder engine features numerous detailed improvements. Two twin-scroll turbochargers with charge air cooling located within the V- shaped space between the cylinder banks, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing all form part of the
M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology package which delivers 523 hp between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm and 553 lb-ft of torque between 1,800 – 4,600 rpm. - an increase of 67 hp and 74 lb-ft of torque over the X5 xDrive50i and X7 xDrive50i models.

A new aluminium alloy has been used to increase the strength of the engine block. The wire- arc sprayed iron coating for the cylinder walls serves to reduce frictional losses. Reinforced, Grafal-coated pistons and optimized piston rings are designed to endure the stress on the crank drive that comes with the extra output and torque. To enhance engine smoothness, torsional vibration is minimized with the help of a viscous damper on the crankshaft.

The BMW X5 M50i accelerates from a standstill to 60 mph in just 4.1 seconds with the larger X7 M50i right behind at 4.5 seconds. Both vehicles feature electronically limited top speeds of 130 mph when equipped with all-season tires and 155 mph when equipped with summer performance tires.

Eight-speed Sport Automatic transmission

The eight-speed Sport Steptronic transmission’s new control electronics help to increase the powertrain’s overall performance and efficiency. Intelligent connectivity enables the Sport automatic transmission to adapt its shift strategy according to the route and driving situation by working with the navigation system and if equipped, combining this data with information from the Active Cruise Control system’s radar sensor. This makes it possible for the transmission to shift proactively instead of reactively insuring that the vehicle is always in the correct gear for the upcoming road conditions.

Shift paddles on the steering wheel allow for quick manual gear selection, while a Launch Control function allows for accelerating from a standing start with maximum available traction.

xDrive all-wheel drive with M Sport rear differential.

BMW’s rear-biased xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system, found in the X5 M50i and X7 M50i, is able to split drive-torque between the front and rear wheels with great speed and precision. Full power can be directed automatically by the system to the rear wheels in situations where all-wheel drive traction is not required.

The standard electronically controlled rear M Sport differential helps support dynamic driving by optimizing the transfer of power to the road in all driving situations. Managed by the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system, the locking function for the rear differential improves traction and power delivery when driving over road surfaces with differing levels of grip for the left-rear and right-rear wheels by reducing wheel spin when a specific tire is struggling for traction.

Chassis and Suspension

The BMW X5 M50i and X7 M50i models feature a double-wishbone front and five-link rear suspension that has been painstakingly gone over by M GmbH. This setup provides the best balance of exceptional traction on rough terrain and excellent dynamic response and ride comfort on pavement. The bushings, spring and damper settings have all been tuned to complement the new models’ increased power and performance.
The BMW X5 M50i is equipped with the Adaptive M Suspension while the BMW X7 M50i is equipped with a two-axle air suspension system (optional on the X5 M50i) which allows for a 0.8 inch lowering of ride height when in Sport mode or when speeds exceed 85 mph. The driver may also increase vehicle ride height of air suspension equipped vehicles by 1.6” for greater ground clearance when required.

Wheels, Tires and Brakes

Both models are equipped with large M Sport Brakes featuring two-piece, lightweight compound brake disks with blue painted calipers and M logos.
The BMW X5 M50i is equipped with standard 20 inch M Star-spoke, bi-color, light alloy wheels shod with 275/45R20 all-season run-flat tires. Optional wheel and tire packages include 21 inch wheels with 275/40R21 front and 315/35R21 performance run-flat tires and 22 inch wheels with 275/35R22 front and 315/30R22 rear performance non run-flat tires.
The BMW X7 M50i comes equipped with standard 22 inch cerium grey M V-spoke light alloy wheels with 275/40R22 front and 315/35R22 performance run-flat tires. Options include bi- color orbit grey or black 22 inch wheels and 21 inch wheels mounted with 285/45R21 all- season run-flat tires.

M Performance design and features

The new BMW X5 M50i and X7 M50i models feature front bumpers with larger openings to allow for greater air flow to the cooling system. The rocker panels and rear bumpers have been sculptured to set the models apart from the rest of the line. BMW Individual high-gloss Shadowline trim and Cerium Grey highlight selected individual exterior components.
Interior features include; door sill plates feature an illuminated “M50i” logo, M leather steering wheel, gear selector with M logo, Vernasca perforated leather upholstery with contrast stitching, Anthracite headliner in the X5 M50i and Alcantara Anthracite headliner in the X7 M50i.

Standard and optional equipment

Standard equipment includes:
• 20 inch wheels with all-season run-flat tires on the X5 M50i
• 22 inch wheels with performance run-flat tires on the X7 M50i
• M Sport Brakes
• M Sport Differential
• Adaptive M Suspension
• Two-axle air suspension on the X7 M50i
• Adaptive Full LED lights with Automatic high beams on the X5 M50i
• Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight on the X7 M50i (optional on X5 M50i)
• Active Driving Assistant including Active Blind Spot Detection and Lane Departure Warning
• Multi-contour sport seats
• Harman Kardon Surround sound system
• Live Cockpit Professional with iDrive 7 Operating system
Apple Car-Play Compatibility
• WiFi hotspot
• Wireless charging

Selected optional equipment includes:

• Remote Engine Start
• Glass Controls
• Two-axle air suspension on the X5 M50i
• Trailer hitch (7,200 lb rating X5 M50i and 7,500 lb rating X7 M50i)
• Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Audio System
• Dynamic Handling Package – Integral Active steering and Adaptive M suspension professional with Active Roll Stabilization.
• Driving Assistance Professional - Extended Traffic Jam Assistance for limited access highways, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision avoidance, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Assistant and front cross traffic alert.
• Parking Assistance Plus Package – Parking Assistant, Back-Up Assistant, Active Park Distance Control and Surround View with 3D View

BMW Live Cockpit Professional: Seventh generation of BMW iDrive
The BMW Live Cockpit Professional combines a new display and control concept and the ultimate in connectivity to create a superb all-round package. The latest-generation of the iDrive comprises a high-resolution digital 12.3” instrument cluster display behind the steering wheel and a 12.3” center display diagonally across. The system offers many hardware upgrades including new haptic controls on the iDrive controller, an advanced tablet-like touch interface, stunning visualizations, and the largest displays available in a BMW. The multi-modal approach of the iDrive touch controller, large touchscreen center display, cloud based voice control, and gesture control allow users to interact in the way of their choosing.

The seventh incarnation of iDrive has a cutting-edge, fully-digital design and is geared more closely to the driver’s needs by allowing them to tailor the system to their own preferences with customizable widgets of information. This new level of personalization is then stored in the BMW cloud and can follow the customer to other BMW vehicles. Information from categories such as driving, entertainment, navigation, connectivity, and from the vehicle info itself, can be selected in nearly any combination in any of four layouts on the Center Display. Multiple pages can be created and easily accessed with a simple swipe across the screen with a finger.

Other elements of the BMW Live Cockpit Professional are the Navigation Professional system, a hard-drive-based multimedia system with 32 GB of memory and six USB ports, plus Bluetooth interfaces. The driver can be automatically detected and personal settings activated either using the traditional vehicle key or by downloading the driver’s personal settings from the BMW Cloud.

A collection of bundled digital services will be offered as the Connected Package Professional. The Connected Package Professional provides Remote Services, Concierge Services, On- Street Parking Information, and Real Time Traffic Information for the first 4 years of ownership. This package allows easy integration and adaptation of new technology over time. Customers can continue to download various new digital services individually as they become available or renew existing services via the ConnectedDrive Store.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
760Lifan450.50
      05-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yay, finally announced. Details I see:

1. $7,000 price increase over the 2019 X7 50i. Ouch. This $7k increase is on top of the already $19k price difference between the 40i and 2019 50i. Are they going to hike the 40i price also, but without features to match?

2. Shadowline trim and Cerium Grey trim. Interesting, and we thought this might be the case. I'm not a Cerium Grey guy, though.

3. I see a few smaller features that will now be standard, that used to be options or part of packages, like M Sport brakes, and 22" wheels.

4. Sub-5 second 0-60 times (4.5s) for a vehicle the size and class of an X7? Monster. Way more than most people need, but of course, many of us BMW owners buy far beyond what we actually need. The speed enthusiasts will be happy.

5. Sounds like a new body package for the M50i as well. Will have to see just how different it is.

6. Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel reluctant to put an M logo on my shifter of a big X7. At least the "M" on the vehicle rear will be blended in to the 50i badge, likely not so ostentatious.
Appreciate 1
aaa335252.50
      05-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post

1. $7,000 price increase over the 2019 X7 50i. Ouch.
Actually, It's not that bad.

If you take the current 50i and add the M-Package, 22" wheels and M-Brakes, you already are at $98,100. Considering the other little add-ons you get on the M50i, you are basically getting a free engine-upgrade.

EDIT: Oh, and laser-lights are also included. Yeah, like I said, basically a free engine-upgrade...

Last edited by 760Lifan; 05-22-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
NOVA99162.50
aas5171.00
      05-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ah yes, I meant to point that out, this "Adaptive LED with Laserlights".

LOL. Can BMW pull their heads out of their rear ends with supply?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Pics from the Car Buzz article. Again, I'm not a Cerium Grey guy, but can understand how others would like it.

I like the steering wheel. I realize the steering wheel pic below here is on the X5, but X7 should be same.

So far, I'm not seeing huge differences in the body kit other than the Cerium Grey. But I haven't seen any pics of the front end yet.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, I also find it a bit odd that the X5 50i comes with all-season tires standard, and the X7 50i comes with performance tires standard. If anything, I would have expected the opposite, just given how the X5 is a sportier car.

And I want to see these available 22" black rims. Could be an awesome option for those wanting to black out their rigs.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Another news story about it from BMW Blog:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/05/22/w...t-powerful-x7/

In addition to the other reports, this one includes a bit more information, including "sportier seats":

Quote:
It gets a sportier front bumper and more aggressive front air intakes. Grey and gloss black trim adorn the exterior of the car, giving it a sportier, more aggressive look. Inside, a three-spoke M steering wheel with M-colored stitching sits front and center, with sportier looking seats and an Alcantara headliner completing the sporty look.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Actually, It's not that bad.

If you take the current 50i and add the M-Package, 22" wheels and M-Brakes, you already are at $98,100. Considering the other little add-ons you get on the M50i, you are basically getting a free engine-upgrade.

EDIT: Oh, and laser-lights are also included. Yeah, like I said, basically a free engine-upgrade...
There's a $3450 difference between the 2019 X7 M-Sport xDrive50i and the 2020 X7 M50i but note that 22" wheels ($1300), M-Sport brakes ($650), M-Sport differential ($1000), laser lights ($1000) & alcantara headliner ($1050) which are optional on the 2019 M-Sport X7 xDrive50i, all come as standard equipment on the 2020 X7 M50i U.S market vehicles.
So yeah, like 760Lifan says, you are basically getting a free engine upgrade.
Appreciate 1
760Lifan450.50
      05-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think Jason may have accidentally forgotten to put the specs in the original post above, so I'm copying them from the X5 post.

Hey, go get yourself a deal now, on a 2019 X7 50i!!! Should be able to get good discounts now that the new M50i has been announced. Just be aware the resale value will probably drop quicker than normal, with the M50i out now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

So unlike BMW to actually change seats, bodywork and exhaust after a short run. Can't wait to see and hear it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Don’t throw stones, but I’m not sure I want this (trying to convince myself). My 50i honestly has more power than i “need.” I love driving AMG and true M cars, but I’ve test driven a GLS63 two different times, and it just feels a little ridiculous to me. It doesn’t accelerate or handle like a car, and putting this much hp behind it just doesn’t feel comfortable to me. Granted, the GLS63 has 577 hp and this M50i has 523, but I’m guessing it’ll feel the same. My two cents: if you want a sports car, buy a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Missduvy you have a valid point. Since the M50i will have different power, tuning, and suspension, it will drive differently. We'll have to wait and see how the M50i drives. Some in the X5 forum are a little leery that their M50i may have a harsh ride. But it's all speculation until it comes out and we drive it to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Call me crazy, but I still prefer the 40i.

My dream-configuration on the 40i is close to $110K so from a financial aspect, I could get a M50i as well if I wanted to but I simply share the opinion that the X7 will never be a performance sports-car, no matter how much power you put into it.

For me, the X7 is a luxury SUV focused on comfort.

The 40i has enough power for my needs, is well-balanced and offers a respectable MPG-rating.

The one thing I'm not sure about on the new M50i aesthetically are those goldish trim pieces but I will have to see them in real life first. So far, I prefer the all-black trim option on the M-Package and perhaps the combination of that with the upcoming black grille and exhaust trim.

Now if you really want performance AND need 3 rows, the M50i is probably as good as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #14
azndailo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Does anyone know if the display key (3DS) for the 2020 X7 M50i (or any of the 2020 X7 models) would be available for as an option? Per the pricing guide, this option is no longer available. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #15
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndailo View Post
Does anyone know if the display key (3DS) for the 2020 X7 M50i (or any of the 2020 X7 models) would be available for as an option? Per the pricing guide, this option is no longer available. Thanks!
Yeah, I noticed that. Hopefully just an oversight. When I place my order, I'll include the 3DS order code, and hopefully they'll add it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Don’t throw stones, but I’m not sure I want this (trying to convince myself). My 50i honestly has more power than i “need.” I love driving AMG and true M cars, but I’ve test driven a GLS63 two different times, and it just feels a little ridiculous to me. It doesn’t accelerate or handle like a car, and putting this much hp behind it just doesn’t feel comfortable to me. Granted, the GLS63 has 577 hp and this M50i has 523, but I’m guessing it’ll feel the same. My two cents: if you want a sports car, buy a sports car.

I don't disagree with this. My 50i is already actually difficult to drive "smoothly." Especially in sport mode, but even comfort, the gas and braking are so sensitive, my girls all end up car sick from drives around town and in traffic. I recently discovered I should put it in ECO mode when with the family, then it drives a lot more smoothly. Of course, I throw it in sport when I'm on my own or needing to make some separation from traffic...

And geez, in my 50i, I hit 80 and it feels like I'm barely moving. I don't go much faster to avoid speeding tickets. So while I love the idea of the 523hp M version, as a practical matter, I just can't imagine doing it...
      06-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

New information added to the BMWUSA webpage for the X7, regarding the M50i. New picture too.

First pic I've seen of the M50i front end. Generally, I like it with the Cerium Grey more than I thought I would. Think I still prefer the black of the 50i M-sport, with blacked-out grille.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #18
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I like it. this will sell well in California
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #19
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Really liking the cerium gray trim, seems I’m in the minority and most want to go the black trim all around. I actually think the cerium looks great, and I like the way it visually distinguishes the “M” version. As much as I love my current look with Msport 50i in carbon black and all blacked out trim, I may actually just go with the cerium trim if I upgrade.

Seriously considering upgrading, asking the dealer for some figures. Main reason is actually to get rid of my captains chairs in the second row in favor of a bench. My three girls will fit just fine there, and Ill get my big trunk back! The extra HP ad “M” extras are nice too. And I can get rid of the trailer hitch I’ll never ever use...

Wondering how big a hit I’m going to take in doing this. My current vehicle has just 1300 miles on it!
      07-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #20
Darz
Rep
Drives: Range Rover sport, BMW Z4

I also like the cerium grey mostly in carbon black followed by black sapphire. It might also look well in Manhattan green metallic.

I also blackout mine and debadged and I almost wrap my shadow line trim to a color close to cerium grey but I come to my senses and I’ll just wait to see it when the 2020 arrives at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Really liking the cerium gray trim, seems I’m in the minority and most want to go the black trim all around. I actually think the cerium looks great, and I like the way it visually distinguishes the “M” version. As much as I love my current look with Msport 50i in carbon black and all blacked out trim, I may actually just go with the cerium trim if I upgrade.

Seriously considering upgrading, asking the dealer for some figures. Main reason is actually to get rid of my captains chairs in the second row in favor of a bench. My three girls will fit just fine there, and Ill get my big trunk back! The extra HP ad “M” extras are nice too. And I can get rid of the trailer hitch I’ll never ever use...

Wondering how big a hit I’m going to take in doing this. My current vehicle has just 1300 miles on it!
I'll give you a "good deal" on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #22
aaa335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992GT3, Euro E36, 24M3CS

Are they taking orders on the M 50i x7 yet? When are deliveries supposed to start?
Appreciate 0