F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Decent electric cars? Anything to wait for?
ARMA SPEED

08-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #67
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

The EV Golf is 8k more than an IC version which on my calculation could equate to over 60k essentially free miles in the IC.
This is haw I see it at the moment and on top of this as more people will jump onto EV cars they will start charging more for electricity/supply.

For example gov saying that diesel is not good (pollution) and last few days I have noticed petrol and diesel are the same price on forecourts.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #68
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - whenever I see an EV on the motorway, it is always pottering at or below the speed limit. Perhaps they are just enjoying the engineless serenity, but my less charitable mind suggests that this is due to range anxiety and the desire to eke out every last mile of their meagre range...
Appreciate 2
adam.b189.00
sahajesh2295.00
      08-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #69
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - whenever I see an EV on the motorway, it is always pottering at or below the speed limit. Perhaps they are just enjoying the engineless serenity, but my less charitable mind suggests that this is due to range anxiety and the desire to eke out every last mile of their meagre range...
never ever ever seen ev owners drive fast. right hand lane is dominated by m cars 335d audi s amg etc you get the draft. despite the straight line advertised performance gimmick I Don't think even 10% of the ev drivers dream of using max performance lest it hurt battery performance or battery itself. No such reservations shown by ice drivers who seem to rev it to the max often.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      08-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #70
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I do 70mph with Autopilot on M way runs, there are too many speed camers and smart M ways.

More locally and without family in the car all I would say is three digits come up rather quickly, but again for the sake of my licence its not something to be done except for on a 'private road' .
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:27 PM   #71
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
No such reservations shown by ice drivers who seem to rev it to the max often.
Humm I didn't realise the aim of driving on public roads was to 'rev it to the max' ?? Is that what they teach at BSM these days .
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:57 AM   #72
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
I'm surprised actually at the number of hybrids I see driving at 80-90mph. Definitely not efficient driving.

Not nice hybrids either, like Prius etc. The kind you buy because you want people to think you care about the environment, which they won't do when you're driving around like that.

Only ever seen Tesla's doing more than 70mph for full EV though. Everyone else seems to do steady 55-60 slipstreaming lorries and National Express coaches

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #73
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
I'm surprised actually at the number of hybrids I see driving at 80-90mph. Definitely not efficient driving.

Not nice hybrids either, like Prius etc. The kind you buy because you want people to think you care about the environment, which they won't do when you're driving around like that.

Only ever seen Tesla's doing more than 70mph for full EV though. Everyone else seems to do steady 55-60 slipstreaming lorries and National Express coaches
I find a lot of the stuff bombing along the motorway tend to be terrible low powered hatchbacks, must depend where you drive! Most of the good cars sit around the speed limit, but there are loads of cameras around here.

Agree it's mostly Teslas going at a decent pace, and probably symptomatic that until relatively recently they were the only brand with decent range.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13378.00
      08-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #74
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Polestar 2:

https://www.businessinsider.com/pole...lectric-2020-8
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:08 AM   #75
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I do 70mph with Autopilot on M way runs, there are too many speed camers and smart M ways.

More locally and without family in the car all I would say is three digits come up rather quickly, but again for the sake of my licence its not something to be done except for on a 'private road' .
Yes same here. 70mph on Autopilot works well and actually makes little difference in terms or journey arrival time for the journeys I do.

However my Model 3 is an A-road overtaking weapon! Faster than my old 340i MPPSK in the 30-70mph for example. Plus, with mine being a company car, it regularly gets its Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tested to the limits of lateral adhesion in the knowledge I won't have to be for replacements
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:54 AM   #76
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think the biggest thing I'd struggle with even if range can be resolved with bigger batteries/motors... I love music. Every car I have owned I have always tinkered with the sound system in some form. Be it aftermarket DSP, subwoofers under seats...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #77
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I think the biggest thing I'd struggle with even if range can be resolved with bigger batteries/motors... I love music. Every car I have owned I have always tinkered with the sound system in some form. Be it aftermarket DSP, subwoofers under seats...
Why do you think aftermarket speakers is an issue with EVs?

I've actually got these Focals fitted in our X, driven by the factory OEM media unit.

Done by a local audio shop, I had also planned to get some underseat woofers with additional amplification fitted aswell but actually the Focals are so good for the type of music I listen to I haven't bothered with additional woofers/amps.

Been an EV doesn't limit you to aftermarket speaker, if anything because there is no noisy engine to add background noise you can really appreciate the difference between ok/good/amazing speakers/sound source.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13378.00
      08-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #78
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Why do you think aftermarket speakers is an issue with EVs?

I've actually got these Focals fitted in our X, driven by the factory OEM media unit.

Done by a local audio shop, I had also planned to get some underseat woofers with additional amplification fitted aswell but actually the Focals are so good for the type of music I listen to I haven't bothered with additional woofers/amps.

Been an EV doesn't limit you to aftermarket speaker, if anything because there is no noisy engine to add background noise you can really appreciate the difference between ok/good/amazing speakers/sound source.
I'm thinking more along the lines of if I wanted to transfer my JL Slash 600/1 v3 and JL 12 w6v3. That's a bit of weight and power draw. Then I'd want a dual channel dash cam as well. If it all runs fine and hopefully it doesn't take too much off the range.

Is rapid home charging an option yet? Or is it public charging only that provides 80 per cent in 30 minutes?

I had Focal on an E92 running off the factory amp and they were a marginal upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #79
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of if I wanted to transfer my JL Slash 600/1 v3 and JL 12 w6v3. That's a bit of weight and power draw. Then I'd want a dual channel dash cam as well. If it all runs fine and hopefully it doesn't take too much off the range.

Is rapid home charging an option yet? Or is it public charging only that provides 80 per cent in 30 minutes?

It'll have NO measurable impact on range. The HAVC system on these cars can run at 6-7KW+, more than double the electric demands of a kettle. Even a 500watts sound system running at 500watts constantly (which it wouldn't do) will take 6.25 DAYS to drain a battery on a Model 3/Polstar etc.

You don't need 'rapid' home charging, in 5 years of EV ownership I spend more time turning DOWN the charge rate on our EVs so to maximise solar/house hold demand than worry about charging faster.

Most of our cars spend most of the time parked up doing nothing, so it really doesn't matter how slowly or quickly its charging when parked up at home.

Rapid charging is bad for battery life, wastes heat, has expensive/complex hardware to maintain. A domestic electrical socket is by far the most useful charger. I've charged our EV off socket plugs in France, in the middle of no where in the Peak district, whilst having a B&B on holiday...…

The reason we obsess about refueling a petrol car quickly at a petrol station because you cannot fill up any where else but a petrol station, and unless you are very strange no one really enjoys going to petrol stations. With an EV you can literally refuel it anywhere you can see a 3 pin socket, which is a lot more place than you would imagine. So rather than been obsessed with fueling up a quickly as possible, you can just get on with your day and let the car sort it self out.

Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13378.00
      08-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #80
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

The concept of 'refuelling' at home in an EV is completely different to that of a ICE vehicle. Think of your EV as something like a mobile phone; little top-ups here and there rather than running to empty and then filling to the max.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #81
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Something funny I found... attached.

Are there any safety measures in the charging box for say if you left your car on charge overnight and there was a severe thunderstorm? I know it rarely happens but it's something that came to mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #82
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

More to the point Soul Glo what if Labour get in and we end up with the inevitable powercuts
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13378.00
KRS_SN13685.00
      08-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #83
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #84
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
5 minutes spent in a fuel station is infinitely more convenient than fiddling around with cables and electricity in the damp rainy murky British weather. Ive got a friend who has a model s and wouldn't trade places with him.
We play sport together i reach last minute dump my car and run in and play He arrives 20 minutes ahead scours for a charging point takes cables out attaches car to cable and leaves 10 minute late after Reversing the process(he doesn't have a home garage).
EV to cars is what Quorn is to meat. Its better and more nutritious perhaps but very few people actually want to buy it and the intelligent souls who do cannot understand why anyone would still buy meat.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1735.00
      08-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #85
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Something funny I found... attached.

Are there any safety measures in the charging box for say if you left your car on charge overnight and there was a severe thunderstorm? I know it rarely happens but it's something that came to mind.
The car charging is like any other electrical appliance, there are fuses and RCD triggers to stop any short circuits/over heating. Lighting hitting an EV will have the same effect as lightning hitting an combustion car, but lightning is much more likely to hit your house.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #86
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
5 minutes spent in a fuel station is infinitely more convenient than fiddling around with cables and electricity in the damp rainy murky British weather.l.
It takes me 5 seconds to plug in our EV when I get home, in winter the car is prewarmed without a need to scrape windscreens. Having to go a refuel my wifes car every month is a massive chore these days in comparison, that's before you add in the cost of fuel, £4 for every 200 miles versus £20 for every 200 miles.

I suspect your friend faffs with public charging because the charges at your local gym/sports centre is free, and when you have free fuel people go a bit nuts, even when EVs are already so cheap to refuel.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13378.00
j.s.48.50
GMT23427.50
      08-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #87
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Most new builds come with chargers in the garage,
Do they?

Ours didn't and we looked at several builders when looking to buy a new build.

I had to hound the site manager to even get a spur put in the garage just so I had some power out there.

Anything above 13A would be a drama to get a charging point installed in ours. The consumer unit is centre of the house, under the stairs on the opposite side to the garage/drive and we are in a semi.

I would have to get the cables chased through walls, right across the house to get anywhere near the driveway.

Im not anti electric and in 10 years time, I will likely consider one. At the moment the only things which look good to me are above what I am prepared to spend on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:02 AM   #88
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Do the cables actually lock in or can they be removed by any passing scrote?

If people that live in High Rises need to rely on Street chargers in the future I can imagine the local yobbos just running around unplugging them!!

What would also concern me about public charging is the maintenance of the charge points. Some on here might remember when we had to rely of public pay phones and in the less desirable areas it was always a problem finding one that hadnt been vandalised.

I think for the vast majority on this forum with private drives in nice areas an EV could slot into our lifestyles very easily but i do worry about the less affluent sectors of our society and how they will cope.
Appreciate 0