E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > lci paddles replacing chrome ones

06-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

lci paddles replacing chrome ones

has anyone done a retrofit of these to replace the chrome ones need to know if they are pnp before i try to fit
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
I remember reading someone's thread where it was just plug and play but you may want to wait for someone else to chime in. Try the search bar and find the thread.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

thanks will fit this weekend
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

what's the point of doing this? you can change the way yours shift by swapping 2 wires and they'll shift like the LCI and DSG paddles. By 'upgrading' to LCI, you lose the push functionality.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

just like the look of the new paddles and if they are pnp saves messing with the wiring
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

well if you can get over the look, you should know there's no 'messing around' required. 2 wires slide out of the connector, and snap in in the opposite order to which you found them. No splicing/cutting/soldering/etc. and fully reversible. 5 mins of work.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
just like the look of the new paddles and if they are pnp saves messing with the wiring
Let me know how you get on Jeff,I fancy this mod as well

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Let me know how you get on Jeff,I fancy this mod as well
will do but i have to pop the airbag out and i usually prefer my trimmer mate to do it so will see when hes free
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
well if you can get over the look, you should know there's no 'messing around' required. 2 wires slide out of the connector, and snap in in the opposite order to which you found them. No splicing/cutting/soldering/etc. and fully reversible. 5 mins of work.
can you help please, have fitted the new paddles but they dont work at all, the connector has two wires but not one in the middle
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Lastun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

@yakev724
I have upgraded my 125i with the Burgertuning Paddle shifter retrofit kit but I have a problem :
I have been told that the retofit kit wil work "plug and play" just with the chrome paddles , the ones with + & - on each side .
The steering wheel I got from ebay has the paddles with + on the right side and - ond the left side .
I really like these paddles I got more and I would like to keep them insted of replacing them with the chrome ones .
Does anyone have pictures with the chrome paddles so I can see what is different in the wiering of the paddles ? I prefer rewiering mine insted of replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastun View Post
@yakev724
I have upgraded my 125i with the Burgertuning Paddle shifter retrofit kit but I have a problem :
I have been told that the retofit kit wil work "plug and play" just with the chrome paddles , the ones with + & - on each side .
The steering wheel I got from ebay has the paddles with + on the right side and - ond the left side .
I really like these paddles I got more and I would like to keep them insted of replacing them with the chrome ones .
Does anyone have pictures with the chrome paddles so I can see what is different in the wiering of the paddles ? I prefer rewiering mine insted of replacing them.
Can't PM you b/c you're new but I'll post here.

The standard chrome paddles have pull and push function, and have 3 wires leaving them. Center is ground. The other 2 are each for pull and push function. Every time it is pulled/pushed, one wire (corresponding to the pull/push) is shorted to the center ground wire. In sum, the paddle is a very simple 2-way electrical switch.

Now the LCI paddles only have 2 wires--most likely one is ground and the other is for the pull function. Since we have only 2, it doesn't matter which is which--they're just shorted when you pull the paddle so the wires can be exchanged without any effects.

You want to connect the one of the 2 wires of the LCI paddles to the center pin connector of the burger harness, and the second paddle wire to another wire on the burger connector (leaving an empty pin connector of the burger harness. Same for the other paddle. Should work no problem.

If it doesn't work out, please PM me; I'd exchange paddles and cover shipping both ways. There are several iterations of the pre-LCI paddles and I have the nicest I've seen (have dealt with several pairs).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Can't PM you b/c you're new but I'll post here.

The standard chrome paddles have pull and push function, and have 3 wires leaving them. Center is ground. The other 2 are each for pull and push function. Every time it is pulled/pushed, one wire (corresponding to the pull/push) is shorted to the center ground wire. In sum, the paddle is a very simple 2-way electrical switch.

Now the LCI paddles only have 2 wires--most likely one is ground and the other is for the pull function. Since we have only 2, it doesn't matter which is which--they're just shorted when you pull the paddle so the wires can be exchanged without any effects.

You want to connect the one of the 2 wires of the LCI paddles to the center pin connector of the burger harness, and the second paddle wire to another wire on the burger connector (leaving an empty pin connector of the burger harness. Same for the other paddle. Should work no problem.

If it doesn't work out, please PM me; I'd exchange paddles and cover shipping both ways. There are several iterations of the pre-LCI paddles and I have the nicest I've seen (have dealt with several pairs).
i have tried this but on my car at least rewiring the lci paddles does not make them work, someone who had lci paddles tried to replace them with chrome ones and would not work so there seems to be a fundamental difference in the way the paddles operate. the seller of mine Nexon Motors (e92 paddles) on ebay is sending me a wiring harness he claims will make mine work so when i have fitted and if it works it may simply be a case on buying the harness, i will let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
zamba0321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328i convertible

Here's how I got the LCI paddles to work on my 2009 M-sport wheel
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post10355838
09 328i Blue water E93 | M-Sport | Step | Prem | Nav | ipod | Lux H8 | BMS PBX | Remotekey+ | MFD scoops | LED turn signals and sidemarkers | MTEC Fogs | Black BMW performance grills | LCI Paddle shifters
Appreciate 0