BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Pretty Discouraging XB7 Review

12-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Pretty Discouraging XB7 Review

Hey guys, I found this recent review on the XB7, one of the only of its kind, pretty candid and discouraging:

I do completely disagree with his comment about Tesla being better - Tesla might be faster straight line, but interior of Tesla is junk and it has major body roll - let's not compare anything to the XB7 except straight line speed - which isn't the end all be all.

I can't help but feel super let down by this, especially with all his plastic comments, and I agree with much of the other issues with it, like they should/could have done so much more to make this special. It's just so blah.

His comments on the key was also confusing, because I've seen other videos of the XB7 with a super cool digital looking key - here is the video I am referring to with the cool key:

Anyway, I still think I am ordering the XB7 because I don't feel like I have any other choices. GLS 63 I don't love either, plus my wife is getting the GLS 580 and we can't have basically the same vehicle. The Maybach isn't out yet, will be probably over $200k, and honestly it's just overkill for me. So, that all being said, I'm just let down by the XB7 and the reviews and I wish it was more special. I'll do some things to improve it, but blah.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

You can buy the Bimmercode app and change the M50i screen to the Alpina's. I might put a JB4 on mine just to see how it performs but honestly, I am very happy with the way it drives now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

You can buy the Bimmercode app and change the M50i screen to the Alpina's. I might put a JB4 on mine just to see how it performs but honestly, I am very happy with the way it drives now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

He had a lot of really good points but I have to wonder if he just ordered the vehicle without ever having looked at or driven a similar model like the X7 M50i and maybe asking a few questions about styling differences in the XB7. The seat comfort part I understand because it takes a while or even a road trip to uncover that stuff but the rest should not have been surprises and if he bought knowing the "deficiencies", why complain? SteelBMW - definitely your money but if you're already on the fence or discouraged, I don't see that improving over long term ownership. Maybe buy an M50i and put the savings into your own customizations, tuning or even buy a used M5 as an accessory.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

He's no real owner. This is nothing more than a Tesla fanboy raging on BMW and ALPINA, a faker! Who buys a Tesla and XB7 and then rips it a part two days later? Not this jerk. There are numerous videos of the poor build quality of Tesla and and he says his Tesla is a million times better? What a joke, don't waste your time with this guy.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56307.00
Al Pinã1839.50
      12-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Other than Tesla stuff, I'd have to say he's not wrong in any of his observations. Yes, particuarly in the Alpina, there shouldn't be that much plastic. He hit on several observations that we all have problems with, like the plastic floor console with captain's chairs, and slow seat movements. I'd say that's a pretty straightforward review.

As for the Display Key (3DS) that you're asking about, BMW stopped the production option for the USA market, I think in MY2020
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I spit my coffee all over my iPad Pro this video was so funny.

This guy in the review is azz and not a owner. Seriously this is a set up bitch fest for another agenda and is so sad it’s hilarious. He knows nothing about luxury vehicles but let’s pretend he does own this, why did he buy this if he has so many issues with it???? I feel for anyone that let him borrow the XB7’s keys. What were they thinking? I am not sure I would let him park my Kubota but then again he is a farmer.

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-03-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Other than Tesla stuff, I'd have to say he's not wrong in any of his observations. Yes, particuarly in the Alpina, there shouldn't be that much plastic. He hit on several observations that we all have problems with, like the plastic floor console with captain's chairs, and slow seat movements. I'd say that's a pretty straightforward review.

As for the Display Key (3DS) that you're asking about, BMW stopped the production option for the USA market, I think in MY2020
That's really a shame, he isn't wrong about the key looking pretty simple/cheap (like his 2014 320i had). I wish I could get the cooler looking key.

I hear you guys, anyone who thinks a Tesla is nicer loses a lot of credibility, but all that plastic and chrome is pretty gross, and I just wish it has more uniqueness and custom things. I guess I can aftermarket some of it, but wish I didn't need to.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
That's really a shame, he isn't wrong about the key looking pretty simple/cheap (like his 2014 320i had). I wish I could get the cooler looking key.

I hear you guys, anyone who thinks a Tesla is nicer loses a lot of credibility, but all that plastic and chrome is pretty gross, and I just wish it has more uniqueness and custom things. I guess I can aftermarket some of it, but wish I didn't need to.
that key he shows is NOT the key to the F30 320i. That's the more modern key
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Well, he pointed out some legit facts as well as some bs which non-owner would bring up.

I'm actually suprised that captain seats need to be folded manually (bench does it on a click of a button) And to be honest, chrome trims and generic (non-M) front looks odd to me as well (for Alpina which should be something premium).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

No one would consider the Xb7 over the M50i if it didn’t have Alpina logos on it. I’ve said it before but this is not worth the 40k on top of the M50i pricing.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56307.00
stein_325i25157.00
      12-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

This sounds like a guy who did not know what he was buying.

Bad for him but it's his own fault. I basically knew each and every screw of my future vehicle when I ordered it.

It also seems he has no clue what the shortcut buttons are for...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56307.00
      12-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
This sounds like a guy who did not know what he was buying.

Bad for him but it's his own fault. I basically knew each and every screw of my future vehicle when I ordered it.

It also seems he has no clue what the shortcut buttons are for...
It's fake! He is not the owner of that XB7. He talks about all of the plastic bits in the XB7, he apparently is blind when he crawls in that Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
No one would consider the Xb7 over the M50i if it didn’t have Alpina logos on it. I’ve said it before but this is not worth the 40k on top of the M50i pricing.
Dollar for dollar it is more like $30K.

All things considered most M50i owners are not driving a "real" M vehicle yet they pay for the extra HP, the more aggressive exterior and other tid bits.

Personally, most of the things this guy says in his video are true. Too much plastic and not enough differentiation from a x7 M50i but he doesn't talk about the way it drives. I think the extra cooling for the engine and trans, the extra power, bigger turbos, the alpina tid bits are worth the extra delta for me. I'm sure all these things can be done aftermarket for much less, but at least I have the peace of mind of warranty without hassle. I'm thrilled that it doesn't scream "look at me" and the real car diehards will know what an Alpina truly is.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      12-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #15
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

His overall theme is right...the Alpina is not special enough over the standard M50i to justify the premium. Mercedes does a real good job differentiating their AMG models with some different interior materials and the hand built engines...BMW should move in that direction to make the buyer feel like they are getting something for the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
LoLo
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
100% this
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #17
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
that key he shows is NOT the key to the F30 320i. That's the more modern key
it's an x3 key and, as mystro said, the video's a bit of bullshit
      12-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
Dollar for dollar it is more like $30K.

All things considered most M50i owners are not driving a "real" M vehicle yet they pay for the extra HP, the more aggressive exterior and other tid bits.

Personally, most of the things this guy says in his video are true. Too much plastic and not enough differentiation from a x7 M50i but he doesn't talk about the way it drives. I think the extra cooling for the engine and trans, the extra power, bigger turbos, the alpina tid bits are worth the extra delta for me. I'm sure all these things can be done aftermarket for much less, but at least I have the peace of mind of warranty without hassle. I'm thrilled that it doesn't scream "look at me" and the real car diehards will know what an Alpina truly is.
Let’s not use the “real” M argument. It’s a 3 row SUV with 523HP that can take out many performance based cars of the past decade in more than just a straight line. If tuning and styling bits are worth 30k to you then so be it. I’m sure there are many people out there that think my 100k purchase is not worth it but I don’t make decisions based on others opinion or approval. Go get you that Alpina.

Last edited by BMWBear; 12-03-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
Farooqshaik
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i Pure Excellence '19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
Hey guys, I found this recent review on the XB7, one of the only of its kind, pretty candid and discouraging:

I do completely disagree with his comment about Tesla being better - Tesla might be faster straight line, but interior of Tesla is junk and it has major body roll - let's not compare anything to the XB7 except straight line speed - which isn't the end all be all.

I can't help but feel super let down by this, especially with all his plastic comments, and I agree with much of the other issues with it, like they should/could have done so much more to make this special. It's just so blah.

His comments on the key was also confusing, because I've seen other videos of the XB7 with a super cool digital looking key - here is the video I am referring to with the cool key:

Anyway, I still think I am ordering the XB7 because I don't feel like I have any other choices. GLS 63 I don't love either, plus my wife is getting the GLS 580 and we can't have basically the same vehicle. The Maybach isn't out yet, will be probably over $200k, and honestly it's just overkill for me. So, that all being said, I'm just let down by the XB7 and the reviews and I wish it was more special. I'll do some things to improve it, but blah.
why don't you look at Range Rover? I'm coming from RR and I miss it alot. If I Moved to any other car other than BMW X7, I would have gone back to Range Rover. I used it about 2 years and never had any issue with it. Absolutely no reliability problems. When you want to spend so much much B7 why not look for RR?

My 2 cents.

PS: RR is expected to get New model for 2022. So it's kind of no brainier not to go for it this year though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farooqshaik View Post
why don't you look at Range Rover? I'm coming from RR and I miss it alot. If I Moved to any other car other than BMW X7, I would have gone back to Range Rover. I used it about 2 years and never had any issue with it. Absolutely no reliability problems. When you want to spend so much much B7 why not look for RR?

My 2 cents.

PS: RR is expected to get New model for 2022. So it's kind of no brainier not to go for it this year though.
RR has been at the bottom of the reliability list for more then a decade ...maybe two. If you didn’t have an issue consider yourself lucky. In no way would I consider driving my family in a RR or Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath4n View Post
I'm actually suprised that captain seats need to be folded manually (bench does it on a click of a button)
They work both ways, Yes, you push the button to the side of the captain's chairs, and the process happens automatically. If you pull on the back of the chairs like he did, it also starts the process.
Appreciate 1
bsalam235.50
      12-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

The XB7 interior is nearly identical to the X7 in the US because BMW marketing made the decision to not offer the Lavalina leather option but if you could order an XB7 with that interior it would make it more special and an upgrade compared to a normal X7. As for the exterior design, that's a matter of preference. Some prefer the luxury package.

As for the video, he's a fake! No doubt about it.
Appreciate 0