BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Are 2023 X7s "Flying Off the Lot" (I.e., any discounts being had off MSRP?)

10-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Are 2023 X7s "Flying Off the Lot" (I.e., any discounts being had off MSRP?)

I've been a loyal customer our our local BMW dealer for over 23 years, having bought more BMWs from them than I care to remember.

My last purchase was a 2019 G05 X5 40i, and I negotiated $500 over invoice for the new model. I approached my salesman about the potential for a 2023 X7 (also a 40i) and he came back with a deal at MSRP. I questioned him about that, and he said the dealership wasn't discounting off MSRP, but conversely that are not marking up beyond MSRP. He said that they are all coming in all pre-sold, etc. I complained and he did come back with $500 off MSRP.

I realize that the X7 is BMW's flagship SUV, and perhaps the sales dynamics are, in fact, different. So to be fair I felt it would be beneficial to get the sage advice if the forum. Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to take care of someone nearing the quarter century mark with them?

Last edited by gpitts; 04-02-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
srisri6.00
      10-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Most dealers are riding the wave that market is hot, meanwhile they are claiming market has shifted when come in to sell yours!

Negotiation is an art.

You can get a 1-3K discount at any time, depending on your negotiation skills. Dealer will always try to sell it at the maximum possible price.

At MSRP is always fair, below that u win, above that they win.

I had a trade in once. They offered me 62K for the trade in. 20 min later, they took it for 72K. They ended up selling it for 68K.
The point is, dealers can always take a hit, hence do your best to negotiate.
Appreciate 3
gpitts247.00
rezi6842.50
      10-03-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

When you say “invoice”, do you really mean invoice? Or MSRP?

If you’re being offered a deal at invoice, take it and run. It doesn’t seem like there are many deals getting done with that type of discount at the moment.

If you’re being offered a deal at msrp, that’s pretty indicative of the state of the market . Maybe you can get a few bucks off if you really push, but most deals seem to be getting done at msrp less incentives with maybe a small discount on top of that.

It’s unlikely a dealer will take less for a car to sell it to a long standing customer than to the other people who are happy to pay what the dealer is asking.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      10-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
When you say "invoice", do you really mean invoice? Or MSRP?

If you're being offered a deal at invoice, take it and run.
The invoice reference was for my current vehicle, the 2019 X5 40i. I negotiated a pretty good deal, I believe, on this vehicle.

On the 2023 X7, it's MSRP.
      10-03-2022, 07:56 PM   #5
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
When you say "invoice", do you really mean invoice? Or MSRP?

If you're being offered a deal at invoice, take it and run.
The invoice reference was for my current vehicle, the 2019 X5 40i. I negotiated a pretty good deal, I believe, on this vehicle.

Remember that in the old days invoice was around 6 percent off and people would negotiate 10 percent off easily and 12 or more if they were really good.

This did not include Apr credits / loyalty/ OL codes/ military (USAA / PenFed) corp fleet .

Let's say that 14% was the absolute biggest discount where the dealer was giving the car. Not even covering training or regional advertising charge (maco? ) .

Right now you can easily contact a store on the east coast that is a high volume dealer and take 2% off. You also have to eat their 500 dollar doc fee.

I've had local stores here in Chicago hold firm at msrp (purchase 3 cars already there), offer 500 off with no prior purchasing history, and been offered msrp with no history .

There are stories floating around of bmw Mountain View giving 5 percent discounts to people . I don't have any contact info there and am not related.

You also have to consider do you have a trade ? Can you do pcd and order from anyone in the country ?

In this market If there is no trade I would contact a store with the lowest doc fee and pick up from South Carolina if the drive is less than 10 hrs.

I would frame it as I have a very simple sale for you. Take 3 percent off msrp minus in incentives and I'll take delivery in South Carolina.
Appreciate 2
wtwo318089.50
gpitts247.00
      10-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

Quote:
I've been a loyal customer our our local BMW dealer for over 23 years, having bought more BMWs from them than I care to remember.

My last purchase was a 2019 G05 X5 40i, and I negotiated $500 over invoice for the new model. I approached my salesman about the potential for a 2023 X7 (also a 40i) and he came back with a deal at invoice. I questioned him about that, and he said the dealership wasn't discounting off MSRP, but conversely that are not marking up beyond MSRP. He said that they are all coming in all pre-sold, etc. I complained and he did come back with $500 off MSRP.

I realize that the X7 is BMW's flagship SUV, and perhaps the sales dynamics are, in fact, different. So to be fair I felt it would be beneficial to get the sage advice if the forum. Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to take care of someone nearing the quarter century mark with them?
I have been in the market for X7 until few weeks ago. Have gotten quotes upto 2% off msrp from dealership if you are to order an x7 thru them. On top, there is loyalty discount and bmw financing discount. Try talking to other dealers around your area. My experience is from around NVA-DC-MD area.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      10-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #7
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
You also have to consider do you have a trade ? Can you do pcd and order from anyone in the country ?
No trade on my end, but I'm in Oregon so pretty well relegated to West coast dealers. A drive up I-5 from the Bay area wouldn't be so bad. I'm not limited to purchasing from in-town dealers other than wanting to make a local deal work out given the history I have at the dealership.
      10-03-2022, 11:03 PM   #8
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
No trade on my end, but I'm in Oregon so pretty well relegated to West coast dealers. A drive up I-5 from the Bay area wouldn't be so bad. I'm not limited to purchasing from in-town dealers other than wanting to make a local deal work out given the history I have at the dealership.
Tell them that. You can let them know, given your long standing relationship, that you're going to widen your search. And you can do it without sounding like an a-hole, if that's not your style (it's not mine). I prefer to just be upfront from the get go and just bail when the other side isn't.

My favorite is "I can get you X for your trade TODAY but we have to move today." Haha.

I probably don't come out the best but I don't come out the worst. And sometimes I miss out by walking away instead of doing the dance. But there's always another car around the corner. I come in after having already researched the market and assessed what I think is fair. You can usually tell which dealers appreciate that and which ones are stuck in the days of the haggle dance. With the internet, cars are more of a commodity than ever.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #9
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Tell them that. You can let them know, given your long standing relationship, that you're going to widen your search. And you can do it without sounding like an a-hole, if that's not your style (it's not mine). I prefer to just be upfront from the get go and just bail when the other side isn't.

My favorite is "I can get you X for your trade TODAY but we have to move today." Haha.

I probably don't come out the best but I don't come out the worst. And sometimes I miss out by walking away instead of doing the dance. But there's always another car around the corner. I come in after having already researched the market and assessed what I think is fair. You can usually tell which dealers appreciate that and which ones are stuck in the days of the haggle dance. With the internet, cars are more of a commodity than ever.
And if there are issues, no problem going to the closest dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVLustMaster View Post
That's another reason I'd prefer to make a deal with the nearby dealership... Like others have mentioned in the forums, the 2019 G05 had a LOT, and I mean a LOT of issues for the first year or so. I spent a lot of time at the local dealership's service department and they were great (and always have been, and still are). So there is some value associated with having a solid support team behind me given the issues being reported with the 2023 X7.

One thing I'll certainly do soon is approach the senior management of the dealership (I've known them from when they were in less senior roles ) and share my concerns with them. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but at least I will have exercised all the channels available to me before I decide what to do.
      10-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Having an in-demand trade-in is probably the best leverage a buyer can have right now. I paid MSRP for my M50i, but received a great allowance for my Lexus. Used vehicles continue to be in demand, and dealers love the profitable extended warranties they can package with the resale.
Appreciate 1
NGT25755.50
      10-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #12
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
I have been in the market for X7 until few weeks ago. Have gotten quotes upto 2% off msrp from dealership if you are to order an x7 thru them. On top, there is loyalty discount and bmw financing discount. Try talking to other dealers around your area. My experience is from around NVA-DC-MD area.
Are you not looking for an X7 any more?
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #13
themama
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
Are you not looking for an X7 any more?
nope. bought one couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #14
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
nope. bought one couple of weeks ago.
Sorry, just noticed your car listed. Was going to see if you wanted to speak to my dealer since I'm also in LoCo.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #15
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post

None here. I bought by 540 from out of state. Local dealer doesn't care. Same for Lexus. Bought two from out of state, local Lexus dealer doesn't care.

Sales and Service are two different entities underneath one large entity. Service wants to make money on you and create a relationship, no matter where you got it. Hell, I think the dealer makes more on service than sales.

If a dealer has to pick between having you as a sales customer or service customer, they will pick service.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #16
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Having an in-demand trade-in is probably the best leverage a buyer can have right now. I paid MSRP for my M50i, but received a great allowance for my Lexus. Used vehicles continue to be in demand, and dealers love the profitable extended warranties they can package with the resale.
I'm trading a '22 Lexus for a '21 X7 right now. Basically got my money back for the Lexus.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #17
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's another reason I'd prefer to make a deal with the nearby dealership... Like others have mentioned in the forums, the 2019 G05 had a LOT, and I mean a LOT of issues for the first year or so. I spent a lot of time at the local dealership's service department and they were great (and always have been, and still are). So there is some value associated with having a solid support team behind me given the issues being reported with the 2023 X7.

One thing I'll certainly do soon is approach the senior management of the dealership (I've known them from when they were in less senior roles ) and share my concerns with them. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but at least I will have exercised all the channels available to me before I decide what to do.
If you are upfront and cordial about everything, they can't really blame you for shopping around.

Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      10-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #18
dc2023x7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordered X7 M60i

Quote:

This will be my 1st BMW (ordered X7 M60i) I called 3 different dealerships and they were all consistent with selling at MRSP. So for me that is the current market. Now if they can just get the stop/sale lifted, I can look forward to owning the Ultimate Driving Machine
Appreciate 4
gpitts247.00
Alf8932.50
lcd12326.00
NGT25755.50
      10-14-2022, 03:39 AM   #19
Mxims
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

2023 X7 40i price negotiable?

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I would love to find out if you guys had any luck negotiating the price of 2023 x7 recently.

The price quoted by the dealer is MSRP 91,895 - 1,000 incentive = 90,895.

Would love to find out if I can negotiate any further. What was your experience, how did you manage to negotiate?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 05:44 AM   #20
themama
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxims View Post
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I would love to find out if you guys had any luck negotiating the price of 2023 x7 recently.

The price quoted by the dealer is MSRP 91,895 - 1,000 incentive = 90,895.

Would love to find out if I can negotiate any further. What was your experience, how did you manage to negotiate?
2500 to 2% is an easy bargain that I was able to get from dealer. Anything above that will be your skill. Loyalty, CCA discounts can be on top of it.
Appreciate 2
gpitts247.00
Mxims1.50
      01-02-2023, 09:36 PM   #21
pgk500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

1k off msrp + incentives. Ordered in November with PCD delivery. Discounts and deals change from month to month. I think now folks are able to get 5%+. I contacts atleast 30+ dealers all over the state and most recommended by folks on these forums and max I could get was 1k off msrp from dealers in Cali. All others were msrp.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 10:53 PM   #22
g05_45e
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 45e

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
10% plus loyalty for end of December. California.
Appreciate 0