E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Vacation: LA to LV

05-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Vacation: LA to LV

Sup guys, a friend and I plan on visiting LA over the summer and plan on going to Vegas, and heading home from there. Before I ask about things to do, I want to make sure the trip is actually feasible. I was hoping to rent a car from LA to Vegas, but the rental companies are charging $400+ to drop the car off in Vegas, which imo is not worth it. Are there any cheaper ways to get there, bus? or any companies that dont charge insane drop off fees?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
cheaper to fly from LA to LV...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBailey@ltbmw View Post
+1 saves you time too. the drive back from vegas always blows!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBailey@ltbmw View Post
haha, thats great, 60 bucks... i didnt even think of flying there...i always see people on facebook posting pics of driving thru the dessert and figured that was the thing to do
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Be sure to look at the smaller airports too. They're much easier to fly out of than LAX. Long Beach is awesome. JetBlue is usually pretty cheap but you need to book early to get the best prices.

I recommend renting a car in Vegas since the strip is pretty long and cabs add up quick because you're just sitting in traffic a lot. You'll also want to hit the Hard Rock, which is off the strip a little. Vegas is awesome and pretty cheap during the Summer, but REALLY hot.
How much you looking to spend on a room, and are you going mid week or weekend?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Be sure to look at the smaller airports too. They're much easier to fly out of than LAX. Long Beach is awesome. JetBlue is usually pretty cheap but you need to book early to get the best prices.

I recommend renting a car in Vegas since the strip is pretty long and cabs add up quick because you're just sitting in traffic a lot. You'll also want to hit the Hard Rock, which is off the strip a little. Vegas is awesome and pretty cheap during the Summer, but REALLY hot.
How much you looking to spend on a room, and are you going mid week or weekend?
uh...no, don't rent a car. you're going to be drunk half the time, and if the cabbie knows where he's going, he won't take you on the strip when it's busy. tell him to take quickest, not shortest, route. usually, that means taking industrial road or frank sinatra dr if to the west of the strip, or koval lane/paradise road if east of the strip. even when i drive to vegas, i just leave my car in the hotel lot and cab it everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
uh...no, don't rent a car. you're going to be drunk half the time, and if the cabbie knows where he's going, he won't take you on the strip when it's busy. tell him to take quickest, not shortest, route. usually, that means taking industrial road or frank sinatra dr if to the west of the strip, or koval lane/paradise road if east of the strip. even when i drive to vegas, i just leave my car in the hotel lot and cab it everywhere.
Haha, Thanks guys, I've been to Vegas a few times...I will definitely be drunk and obnoxious most of the time lol.

But, fill me in on LA. should i rent a car or cab it?
Omni Hotel or Standard Hotel?
The LA part of this trip is mostly spontaneous because I found it to be cheaper per day to visit both places than just Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post
Sup guys, a friend and I plan on visiting LA over the summer and plan on going to Vegas, and heading home from there. Before I ask about things to do, I want to make sure the trip is actually feasible. I was hoping to rent a car from LA to Vegas, but the rental companies are charging $400+ to drop the car off in Vegas, which imo is not worth it. Are there any cheaper ways to get there, bus? or any companies that dont charge insane drop off fees?
I did this exact trip 2 weeks ago when I was looking for apartments.

You definitely have to rent a car in LA. Cabs can get expensive and unreliable. Depends what area you want to stay in, but if you want to be in West Hollywood, Sofitel by the Beverly Center is pretty nice.

But if you wanna save some cash with valet parking but still want a good location, LA Sky Hotel on Westwood Blvd is good. $10/per day for self parking in their parking lot and their rooms are ok for really short stays.

I rented a car in LA and flew Southwest to Vegas from LAX. Sometimes prices from Burbank are better, but you have to book like 10-14 days in advance to get the best prices. I think I paid like $99 one way from LAX-LAS and I booked like 5 days before my flight.
      05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkim View Post
I did this exact trip 2 weeks ago when I was looking for apartments.

You definitely have to rent a car in LA. Cabs can get expensive and unreliable. Depends what area you want to stay in, but if you want to be in West Hollywood, Sofitel by the Beverly Center is pretty nice.

But if you wanna save some cash with valet parking but still want a good location, LA Sky Hotel on Westwood Blvd is good. $10/per day for self parking in their parking lot and their rooms are ok for really short stays.

I rented a car in LA and flew Southwest to Vegas from LAX. Sometimes prices from Burbank are better, but you have to book like 10-14 days in advance to get the best prices. I think I paid like $99 one way from LAX-LAS and I booked like 5 days before my flight.

Thanks, I'm getting 70 out of LAX and 65 out of Long Beach. I'll check out those hotels, The Standard and Omni are pretty expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I always fly out of Long Beach. Soooo much easier! Such a small quick airport.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Fly to Vegas.
CAR > CAB

Los Angeles is wayyyy to big to get around with public transport. Cheaper and easier to get around with a car.