01-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #45
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post
Distortion wise it is a great system. Bowers and wilkins uses better materials for factory car audio than most any other competitors. Kevlar and aluminum vs usually paper cones and aluminum tweets (burmeister). Bass is where it comes up short in my 7 series. 2 woofers instead of sub woofers under seat are not enough
I'm not sure about all these posts about lack of low-end response... I have the B&W in my 2019 750i and it is far and away the best system I have ever heard in an automobile.

I hope those complaining about the bass actually know how to set their EQ for maximum response and clarity. Two words: "disco smile". Look it up.

I have a side-gig as a sound engineer and the B&W is so good that our studio actually uses the Bimmer as a reference system when we're mixing and mastering songs. Definitely couldn't say the same about the H&K. Currently in a 2020 750 loaner car and I'm very underwhelmed with Harmon when compared to my Bowers.[IMG][/IMG]
      10-12-2022, 04:24 PM   #46
BMW5and7
Major
Rep
Drives: X7; X5;S-Class;Tesla;Navigator

Did they increase the wattage of B&W in 2023 LCI?

Does anyone have a chart that compares wattages and # of speakers and changes for the B&W for the years 2019 X&, 2020, 2021 ---- through 2023 in series?

My understanding that it has not changed on the X7 since 2019? however, reading online I see that the iX gets higher wattages and more speakers? can someone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #47
lopro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N54, manual

Has anyone added a subwoofer to the BW setup? I'm a bass fanatic and would love to add a 12" subwoofer box & amp to the setup. Back in the day, I had subs in the boot of my 3 series and was able to remove the box if I needed the extra space.

Was looking to do the same on the X7 with or without the BW setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #48
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

You could probably do two under seat stealth kicker subs with a hidden amp behind the panels in the cargo area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Did they increase the wattage of B&W in 2023 LCI?

Does anyone have a chart that compares wattages and # of speakers and changes for the B&W for the years 2019 X&, 2020, 2021 ---- through 2023 in series?
I do not think it changes for LCI since it is an entirely new system in the iX.
30 Speakers (Nautilus Diamond Dome), 28 channels, 1600+ watts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #49
BMW5and7
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
You could probably do two under seat stealth kicker subs with a hidden amp behind the panels in the cargo area.

I do not think it changes for LCI since it is an entirely new system in the iX.
30 Speakers (Nautilus Diamond Dome), 28 channels, 1600+ watts.
Yeah, I had an iX before, and am surprised that the X7 LCI still did not get any of the new features that iX got with it's idrive 8, but rather just carried over pre-LCI X7 tech with idrive 8 being the only tech change. For instance, the iX has interior cameras (X7 LCI didn't carry that feature). iX also comes with a much powerful B&W sound system (X7 LCI just carried the same pre-LCI X7 B&W which is not as powerful as the iX). Despite that X7 LCI is introduced after the iX. For the record, the 7-series sedan will carry all the iX tech features though (like interior cameras, powerful B&W, and the higher tech drive assist and hands-free on highways).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #50
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

if they put all that new jazz in the LCI then why would anyone rush out to purchase the new model? the LCI is just to revitalize an aging product and stimulate sales.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #51
BMW5and7
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
if they put all that new jazz in the LCI then why would anyone rush out to purchase the new model? the LCI is just to revitalize an aging product and stimulate sales.
Adding an interior camera and slightly more powerful sound system in the X7 LCI to be equivalent to other BMW vehicles would have never prevented people from rushing to newer product (i.e.: new X7 generation in 2028)!. That would be a disaster if that is what they are counting on for the new X7 that won't come until 5 years from now!!.. If you you are worried about competing with the new 7-sedan and iX, they are out of the competition because the market and type of consumers aren't the same. As I said many times, each time more information are revealed I continue to believe that the X7 LCI was rushed and delivered half cooked stripped from features and yet missing other new features that it's sisters (iX, 7-sedan and XM) being the top 3-4 of the line products are getting. It is so disappointing to see an LCI with more missing and stripped features that the added one; I was hopping to at least see a more powerful B&W, which is why I asked earlier. Things like a more powerful sound system would fit 100% and exactly for what people would expect in an LCI...

Last edited by BMW5and7; 11-27-2022 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #52
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

no, solely it would not but adding it to a list of other "upgrades" and new features will. secondly this is only my speculation not fact however an LCI is simply a revision not all new vehicle. if you would like all these features or upgrades then purchase the newest vehicles not revised counterparts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 07:59 PM   #53
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Yeah, I had an iX before, and am surprised that the X7 LCI still did not get any of the new features that iX got with it's idrive 8, but rather just carried over pre-LCI X7 tech with idrive 8 being the only tech change. For instance, the iX has interior cameras (X7 LCI didn't carry that feature). iX also comes with a much powerful B&W sound system (X7 LCI just carried the same pre-LCI X7 B&W which is not as powerful as the iX). Despite that X7 LCI is introduced after the iX. For the record, the 7-series sedan will carry all the iX tech features though (like interior cameras, powerful B&W, and the higher tech drive assist and hands-free on highways).
Quick question. Between your iX, X7 50i, and X7 M50i, which had the better quality, fit finish, and if all had B&W was the iX the better sounding one since it had more watts and speakers.

I test drove an iX a few months ago when the local dealer had a demo. Great car but I needed the space of the X7 so went with that. Thinking of adding an BMW EV down the road as they are coming out with different models now. Wondering if BMW is prioritizing the EV fleet when it comes to options and build quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:16 PM   #54
BMW5and7
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Quick question. Between your iX, X7 50i, and X7 M50i, which had the better quality, fit finish, and if all had B&W was the iX the better sounding one since it had more watts and speakers.

I test drove an iX a few months ago when the local dealer had a demo. Great car but I needed the space of the X7 so went with that. Thinking of adding an BMW EV down the road as they are coming out with different models now. Wondering if BMW is prioritizing the EV fleet when it comes to options and build quality.
Well, between the 2019 X7 and 2022 X7, the choice is easy (2019 wins 100%, as I indicated before, the build quality, road noise and interior rattle are a level or more higher in 2019 than the 2022). As for the iX, it’s a hard comparison. I certainly rank the 2019 X7 first among all three options, but I also cant squeeze the iX 2nd as I still feel I’d rather have a 2022 X7 than an iX. The X7 feels more premium and to be honest the iX had the same type of road noise that am complaining about in the 2022 X7 which seems to be a common issue between all post-covid built BMWs anyway. Given that the iX didn’t feel that premium, I’d go 2019 X7 > 2022 X7 and then 2021 iX beign last. I don’t see myself getting the iX ever again for that price. I got the 530e BMW which kinda gives us the in-town experience EV vehicle for 98% our trips in-town (taking kids to school, going for groceries, etc). I’d rather drive an electrified X5 “PHEV” than the iX (nice vehicle, but once the X5 PHEV gets the idrive-8 system with 50+ miles of EV range in April 2022 LCI, there is no reason in my view to get the iX for my case). Of course unless you really want an EV for 100s of miles, that’s a different story but I don’t think the infarastructire and charge speed is ideal, hence a PHEV with 50 miles range is the ideal vehicle for us (cant wait for the X5 PHEV LCI).

Answer to your other question: The iX B&W certainly was great. Is it much better than the X7, yeah maybe, but it’s nothign like you’d miss. They are both excellent but the iX felt a bit more rich and premium. Probably also because the iX is smaller yet with a few more Watts to begin with.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 11-27-2022 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0