BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Right rear seat unlocked warning

06-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
Right rear seat unlocked warning

For the past two weeks I got this warning appear on my dash. I have folded the seats up and down and back into place 20 times, both sides but to no avail. I originally thought it was because my 3rd row was down but is not the case either. Someone has a similar issue? Is there a way to make the warning disappear/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
For the past two weeks I got this warning appear on my dash. I have folded the seats up and down and back into place 20 times, both sides but to no avail. I originally thought it was because my 3rd row was down but is not the case either. Someone has a similar issue? Is there a way to make the warning disappear/
naw if no obstructions of any kind and still getting that just gotta take it in, unfortunately. have your service advisor look at it without making an appointment. might be something he'll catch right then and there
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Is the center part of your bench seat locked? It folds down too
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
I have the same error and have on a list to take in. It also prohibits sliding the 2nd row back for more legroom.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I just received this message as well. The seat is still working but the warning persists in the instrument panel. Has anyone gotten an explanation yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

I've had this message a couple of times, the impact being that my kids in the second row can't adjust their seats. The fix so far was always to hit the max luggage button and then the max seats button. If any of them don't click into place for any reason, then you're going to get this error.

I had a stranger one yesterday - after having the car cleaned. I noticed on my way home that the passenger seat seemed much higher and more tilted forwards than usual. I used the switch on my side to control the passenger seat and couldn't move it further back or further upright. I could, however, move it further forwards which made the problem worse. Then I picked the wife up from the airport and it looked like she was sitting in a medieval torture device!

After folding all seats down and up, still nothing improved - so my darling wife sat and sighed deeply every 5 mins for the rest of the 1 hour trip. I took "The Tank" into the dealer's today and they fixed it within an hour or so. The service guy didn't speak any English so my language skills were put to the test. From what I could tell they had to hook it up to the computer and do a "reset". He explained that this is not a user option and I'd need to bring it back again if I had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep

My wife took our car in today. Apparently the sensor that detects if the seat was locked was defective. Will require a new sensor. In the process of diagnosing the problem, the seat no longer moves and they say we now need an entire new seat base. They have no idea when they will have this as they are not currently making them. We were told it could be weeks to months. Seems like this is a more widespread problem as multiple people have noted issues. Hope it doesn't continue to affect more owners...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Ugh... sorry.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAdawg View Post
My wife took our car in today. Apparently the sensor that detects if the seat was locked was defective. Will require a new sensor. In the process of diagnosing the problem, the seat no longer moves and they say we now need an entire new seat base. They have no idea when they will have this as they are not currently making them. We were told it could be weeks to months. Seems like this is a more widespread problem as multiple people have noted issues. Hope it doesn't continue to affect more owners...
Well this is now affecting me. I have tried all the folding and uncorking options.

Guess it is time for a dealer visit.
      08-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAdawg View Post
Well this is now affecting me. I have tried all the folding and uncorking options.

Guess it is time for a dealer visit.
We had an issue with the right side 2nd row and row 3. Was a charging cable stuck under seat in row 3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
X7 PRG
Rep
Drives: X7

Same problem with unlock right seats on my X7 M50d. Any issue yet? Its dangerous for passenger in 2nd row?

I tried delete all errors in OBDlink app, but after start show this seat error again.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #12
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I had same issue 2 weeks ago. Brought car into dealership and they needed to do a software reboot and then a rear seat calibration. All good now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
0928steve@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 2020

rear seat controls

Just 1500 miles in, the "rear seat not locked" messages started appearing. Now the rear control don't work and several others are not functioning properly. Systemic?
At the dealership now.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Yep, dealership is the only option for this one. Mine can back with upgraded software and they told me that was the issue.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      01-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
0928steve@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 2020

Easy fix...BMW bulletin...washer shim!

Had the same issue on my 2020 x7...second seat "not locked" which caused other seat button issues.

The dealer had never heard of it and forward the issue to BMW, USA and they sent a bulletin...seat bolts needed to be loosened and "off the shelf" washer shim placed. Tighten...fixed issue.
1/4/2020
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
nyynkees23
Registered
Rep

Smile BMW X7 Rear Seats Won't Move - SOLVED!!!

SOLVED!!!! Easier than you think. I had 2 separate issues regarding the rear seats. 1st one involved one of the seats "unlocked" warnings in the "systems"/vehicle status menu that does not go away without dealer involvement. After a couple visits and removal of the seats and replacement of the sensors that warning was gone.

The 2nd type of warning as shown above in the pic posted by fdeschouwe prevented the power rear seats from being adjusted. The dealer couldn't figure it out, so I contacted BMW's corporate office, who essentially just got the dealer back involved with a supposed engineer. When I dropped off the X7 yesterday, my service advisor started playing around with it and lo and behold, the seats started moving. Turns out a customer had the same issue a week before and he decided to engage and disengage the child safety window button. When it is engaged the seats cannot be adjusted. When it is unlocked, viola! Movement. Turns out, it is mentioned in the owner's manual (and seen on the onscreen menu), but it is apparently under the Power Windows section, so it is buried and no one knew, perhaps because the X7 is the 1st BMW with adjustable rear seats? I really don't care. A service advisor figured it out and out of all of the advisors out there, mine just happened to be the one who knew the fix. My faith in BMW has been restored!!!
Appreciate 3
Heimdall136.50
nury-n0.00
      09-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
KaiRaine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7/X5, Tesla S85, MB E350

Seems like most experiencing this issue had to take it to the dealer/service right? My 2020 X7 x40i of exactly 1 month old has this issue.

Is it a quick fix at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #18
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Yes it's a dealer visit unfortunately. It took a few months to get mine sorted out but hopefully by now BMW has learnt how to fix quickly. Mine involved a seat related software upgrade and "hall sensor" replacement in the affected seat. After 5 visits this last step finally resolved it.

I have a 2020 X5 40i so problem may not be exactly same but I was told by the dealer its a known problem with the X5 and X7 seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyynkees23 View Post
SOLVED!!!! Easier than you think. I had 2 separate issues regarding the rear seats. 1st one involved one of the seats "unlocked" warnings in the "systems"/vehicle status menu that does not go away without dealer involvement. After a couple visits and removal of the seats and replacement of the sensors that warning was gone.

The 2nd type of warning as shown above in the pic posted by fdeschouwe prevented the power rear seats from being adjusted. The dealer couldn't figure it out, so I contacted BMW's corporate office, who essentially just got the dealer back involved with a supposed engineer. When I dropped off the X7 yesterday, my service advisor started playing around with it and lo and behold, the seats started moving. Turns out a customer had the same issue a week before and he decided to engage and disengage the child safety window button. When it is engaged the seats cannot be adjusted. When it is unlocked, viola! Movement. Turns out, it is mentioned in the owner's manual (and seen on the onscreen menu), but it is apparently under the Power Windows section, so it is buried and no one knew, perhaps because the X7 is the 1st BMW with adjustable rear seats? I really don't care. A service advisor figured it out and out of all of the advisors out there, mine just happened to be the one who knew the fix. My faith in BMW has been restored!!!
Thanks a bunch. I was having the same seat adjustment issue and was going to take the car to the dealer. After reading your post I went and unlocked the rear window switches and presto - the rear seat controls work again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #20
Hejusnice
Private
Rep

Well I'm affected!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Looks like this might be your problem. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79000-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #22
Hejusnice
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Looks like this might be your problem. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79000-9999.pdf
Thanks!
Appreciate 0