BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Child Car Seat tethers in Captain’s Chairs

03-25-2019, 04:54 AM   #45
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Just to touch on what groove1 pointed out, you could stretch your legs through the middle of the bench seat as well.

yeah that's a little different tho cause with captains you can stretch your inboard leg (right leg if you're the driver side third row passenger; left left if your the passenger side third row passenger) from its natural position. with this you gotta lift your leg up right and put it up there in that open space

definitely much better than nothing, though, at least for kids
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #46
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Did anyone ever figure out how to get the captain chair to slide forward like that at the 5:40 marker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=89rnETIfjoc
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #47
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Interference with 3rd Row Folding

Hello all - I have a X7 on the way with captains chairs, although just realized something - in videos of the way the third row folds down, it looks like the second row seats need to move forward first before the third row will fold. Does this interfere with a car seat that is attached with the top tether (seeing as the tether is on the floor and therefore looks like it will interfere with the forward movement of the seat)? What happens if the second row seat cannot move and you try to fold the third seat, does it refuse to move or does the car try to force it?

Lots of people talking about folding the seat itself, but few speaking about folding the third row.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #48
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

if there's a little slack in the tether, it's typically fine. every seat I've put in has said to pull it, but don't wrench it down tight. I've not had any trouble with my diono in place
      02-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #49
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
I've been shopping this vehicle for the past 2 weeks since we found out the wife is pregnant with the 3rd child.

The only other vehicle were shopping is the Escalade. Love the size but we dislike everything else about it.

I'm trying to decide between bench and captains chairs. Not sure what to do with chair seat configurations.

Kids in the house hold currently 15yr old, 2.5 yr old and baby expected end of September.
      02-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #50
DynamicLA
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz GLS 550

We have 3 kids, a 4 year old and twin 3 year olds. All are in forward facing car seats in our X7. We have captain’s chairs, and the 3 year olds are in the 3rd row, and the 4 year old is in one of the captain’s chairs. This allows the other captain’s chair to move/tilt forward to easily access the third row (and is grandma’s chair if she goes with us). The set up works great and no complaints from the kids.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #51
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
I've been shopping this vehicle for the past 2 weeks since we found out the wife is pregnant with the 3rd child.

The only other vehicle were shopping is the Escalade. Love the size but we dislike everything else about it.

I'm trying to decide between bench and captains chairs. Not sure what to do with chair seat configurations.

Kids in the house hold currently 15yr old, 2.5 yr old and baby expected end of September.
Get the Captains. The 15-year-old will be driving soon and you’ll regret it if you don’t.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #52
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicLA View Post
We have 3 kids, a 4 year old and twin 3 year olds. All are in forward facing car seats in our X7. We have captain's chairs, and the 3 year olds are in the 3rd row, and the 4 year old is in one of the captain's chairs. This allows the other captain's chair to move/tilt forward to easily access the third row (and is grandma's chair if she goes with us). The set up works great and no complaints from the kids.
Are the captains chairs able to move with the car seats in place? I'm assuming you don't have the tether anchored down for easier access to the 3rd row?
      02-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #53
DynamicLA
Rep

Quote:
Are the captains chairs able to move with the car seats in place? I'm assuming you don't have the tether anchored down for easier access to the 3rd row?
Since one of the captain’s chairs doesn’t have a car seat, we just move/tilt that one for access to the third row, and leave the child seat tethered to the other chair. I haven’t tried to tilt the captain’s chair with the child seat in it, but I don’t think it would move very much aside from sliding forward, and that’s assuming you untethered it each time.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #54
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicLA View Post
Quote:
Since one of the captain's chairs doesn't have a car seat, we just move/tilt that one for access to the third row, and leave the child seat tethered to the other chair. I haven't tried to tilt the captain's chair with the child seat in it, but I don't think it would move very much aside from sliding forward, and that's assuming you untethered it each time.
I was hoping I can have the new born in one chair and my 2.5yr in the other chair. My 15yr old would be in the 3rd row since I'll be removing the arm rest on the captains chairs he'll be more comfortable.

Only other option is to put the 2.5yr old in the 3rd row so my 15yr old can occupy one of the captains chairs.

I just don't know if it'll be struggle buckling my 2.5yr old in the 3rd row.

Sorry this is all so new to us with the 3rd child in the way. Never thought we would ever need a 3 row vehicle lol.
      02-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #55
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

there's enough room to get IN with the middle seat rocked forward, but getting back out can be a little awkward sometimes. It's def a lot easier with my 5 year old who's been buckling his own seatbelt for a year.
      02-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #56
DynamicLA
Rep

Quote:
I was hoping I can have the new born in one chair and my 2.5yr in the other chair. My 15yr old would be in the 3rd row since I'll be removing the arm rest on the captains chairs he'll be more comfortable.

Only other option is to put the 2.5yr old in the 3rd row so my 15yr old can occupy one of the captains chairs.

I just don't know if it'll be struggle buckling my 2.5yr old in the 3rd row.

Sorry this is all so new to us with the 3rd child in the way. Never thought we would ever need a 3 row vehicle lol.
We buckle the kids into their seats with little problem, so if you are only buckling one it should be easy. The doors are so large and the captain’s chair slides/tilts forward quite a bit so there is plenty of room to lean in.
Appreciate 0