forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Rear Entertainment

06-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
lasallen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

X7 Rear Entertainment

We are ordering our first BMW and are considering the rear entertainment system. I would like to know if this system is really worth the money or just stick with the IPAD.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Most people will tell you no. But I love it. I’ve had rear seat entertainment since my youngest was about 2. When we’re in the car for long periods of time, my girls will watch a movie. We try to limit screen time on their iPads and make it more like a treat they have to earn, so I don’t like the idea of handing them an iPad every time we’re in the car. Plus, there are times when we unexpectedly spend long periods in the car, when we wouldn’t have thought to stick the ipads in with us. They also use it like a modern day juke box. When we’re listening to satellite radio, they can see the stations and songs being played. I have it set so that they can see that, but they can’t actually choose the song or change the volume (although they could if I changed the settings). They love telling me what stations they want to listen to. It’s a lot more than just a tv screen in the X7; it’s more like a mini version of what the driver sees in the iDrive screens up front. What your rear passengers enjoy or have access to would likely vary depending on their ages. I have zero regrets about spending the money on it.

Last edited by Missduvy; 06-23-2019 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

There are bad systems ( like on the Audi Q7) and there are great systems that are fully integrated and offer features iPads simply don't.

IMO, BMW offers the best there is.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't have kids, but with 3 in the 2nd row, it's priceless at times. You can also hook up just about anything to it and they can act independently so they can do their own thing. It's much better than systems we've had in the past that are integrated into the headrests or ceiling.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Yes, you need rear entertainment for the kids.

No, you do not want to spend the money on the BMW solution.

Buy a seat headrest iPad mount (I have something similar to this one from Walmart that's on sale for $3 LOL) and that's that.

My wife and I have unlimited data plans with AT&T and iPhone X's that support tethering (aka Wi-Fi hotspot) and so when we take a long trip we snap on the headrest mount (takes 60 seconds), turn wi-fi on the iPad and launch YouTube Kids (takes 15 seconds), plug in the iPad's lightning cable to the USB-C port in the 3rd row, and that's that.

Don't spend the money on a BMW proprietary "system". Just use the data you're already paying for on your unlimited plan and buy an inexpensive headrest mount. Been doing it this way safely and easily for the past 4 years in our X5 and now our X7.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/360-Rotat...AaAswpEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

Yes, you need rear entertainment for the kids.

No, you do not want to spend the money on the BMW solution.

Buy a seat headrest iPad mount (I have something similar to this one from Walmart that's on sale for $3 LOL) and that's that.

My wife and I have unlimited data plans with AT&T and iPhone X's that support tethering (aka Wi-Fi hotspot) and so when we take a long trip we snap on the headrest mount (takes 60 seconds), turn wi-fi on the iPad and launch YouTube Kids (takes 15 seconds), plug in the iPad's lightning cable to the USB-C port in the 3rd row, and that's that.

Don't spend the money on a BMW proprietary "system". Just use the data you're already paying for on your unlimited plan and buy an inexpensive headrest mount. Been doing it this way safely and easily for the past 4 years in our X5 and now our X7.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/360-Rotat...AaAswpEALw_wcB
Would second this approach. I’ve gone this route and the plug in proprietary system route. Propriety system route (travel and comfort) is maybe a little more elegant BUT the assembly sticks out pretty far from seat and is more costly

I don’t know much about the in seat option, admittedly. Can’t speak to what video sources you can have, how easily the screens scratch, etc., but these two after purchase options are good if you don’t plan on using these things much and/or want to save some dough.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Mine came with the vehicle but if I had my choice, I would also just use my iPad solution.

The bad thing with built in systems is that they aren’t exactly future proofed. With an iPad solution, I can just get new ones as they update.

There are some positives with the built in system such as front controlled volume setting and power. My kids are old enough so when I say “what do you want to eat”, they can map me there.

I also dislike that you need to buy headphones. I just spent $300 on a pair of the new style fancy BMW ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

This is my 5th BMW with the factory entertainment system. We like it. I've listened to more movies than I've actually seen, but that is changing now since my twins are older. I was given the BMW wireless headphones with my last 7er. They work in the X7....most of the time. Not sure if it was the battery or the latest and greatest iDrive system. Now I just plug in a pair of Sony headphones (wired) and all is good.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

If it would just be for kids, I'd probably go with pads as well.

Since I'm a tech-geek though, I appreciate BMW's integration incl. Nav. Maps and vehicle settings. Those features are exclusive to the integrated system.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
My kids are old enough so when I say “what do you want to eat”, they can map me there.
Really? Didn't know that was possible, that's kind of cool.

... kids? Why are you sending me to Wally World?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #11
ppagiga
Major
Rep

The iPad route is also cool for getting some utility out of older iPads you have around the house that are a little too slow for day to day use but are still decent for watching movies, shows from netflix, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Really? Didn't know that was possible, that's kind of cool.

... kids? Why are you sending me to Wally World?
They can access certain car settings, navigation, and anything media. It’s an amazing tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
They can access certain car settings, navigation, and anything media. It’s an amazing tool.
Yes the integration is very nice and convenient. Don't have to worry about "I forgot my iPad" or letting the iPads sit in 120 degree car all day, or advertising I have free iPads in my car, please break my windows and grab 'em!

At 100k car, feeling good about getting a deal on $3 iPad holders at Walmart seems kinda silly
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
At 100k car, feeling good about getting a deal on $3 iPad holders at Walmart seems kinda silly
Just because you spend 100k on a car doesn’t mean you need to spend 100k on an iPad holder. It is what it is. Feel free to 3D print one from liquid titanium.
Appreciate 2
toddwalton1289.50
yousefnjr6153.00
      06-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes the integration is very nice and convenient. Don't have to worry about "I forgot my iPad" or letting the iPads sit in 120 degree car all day, or advertising I have free iPads in my car, please break my windows and grab 'em!

No offense but kind of a smug position to take.... if your kids aren’t iPad monkeys and you only use entertainment of any kind on rare occasions, a cheap holder from amazon is probably preferred to a 175 dollar set up per seat/iPad (Travel and comfort accessories). Not that perplexing to me.
Appreciate 2
toddwalton1289.50
yousefnjr6153.00
      06-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #16
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

I spent $30 for my iPad headrest mount several years ago, just turned out that when I Googled it turned up at a reputable site at that low price.

And perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use case, but we don't give our kids iPad's in the X7 for every drive we take. 10 minutes to the mall, 20 minutes to a restaurant, there isn't any entertainment in the car except the radio and family conversation.

We attach the iPad holder for the 4+ hour trips we take to our summer home, the 5+ hour trips we take sightseeing, etc. and once we arrive at our destination the iPad comes out and is used in the house or hotel room.

As far as advertising for thieves goes, through the tinted glass there is no way a bad guy could differentiate a BMW tablet from the real thing. So that's another knock on the BMW system; even when it's not necessary it's in there and attracting unwanted attention, not to mention training youngsters to rely on visual entertainment even for the smallest of journeys.
Appreciate 2
ppagiga657.00
yousefnjr6153.00
      06-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

FWIW, we ordered our X7 with rear seat entertainment, and we like it, so far. Folks make some valid points above, in that there are probably more “cost effective” methods for entertaining back seat passengers, but it is also nice to have a “designed” solution from the manufacturer. I mean, they are some good, heavy, quality display units, and you’ve got them right there, integrated into the vehicle’s entertainment system, with the ability to (at least somewhat) control them from the “pilot’s seat”. CD/DVD/BluRay, HDMI, USB, the whole nine yards, plus you can see route and some vehicle information, etc. We like it, for sure, and don’t regret it one bit. As far as the theft concern, well that is a good point, but I believe you could take them out of the car, if that really concerns you, as well.

The one negative thing I will say about them is that, apparently, there is no way for them to start up automatically upon starting the vehicle. That may not be an issue for most, but we have a really young child, who cannot be counted on yet to turn them on by himself, and I have not been able to find a way to turn them on from the front, just yet. My only “knock”, so far, about the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
FWIW, we ordered our X7 with rear seat entertainment, and we like it, so far. Folks make some valid points above, in that there are probably more “cost effective” methods for entertaining back seat passengers, but it is also nice to have a “designed” solution from the manufacturer. I mean, they are some good, heavy, quality display units, and you’ve got them right there, integrated into the vehicle’s entertainment system, with the ability to (at least somewhat) control them from the “pilot’s seat”. CD/DVD/BluRay, HDMI, USB, the whole nine yards, plus you can see route and some vehicle information, etc. We like it, for sure, and don’t regret it one bit. As far as the theft concern, well that is a good point, but I believe you could take them out of the car, if that really concerns you, as well.

The one negative thing I will say about them is that, apparently, there is no way for them to start up automatically upon starting the vehicle. That may not be an issue for most, but we have a really young child, who cannot be counted on yet to turn them on by himself, and I have not been able to find a way to turn them on from the front, just yet. My only “knock”, so far, about the system.
I can totally see that being an issue. When my girls were younger, they couldn’t control all the functions of the rear seat system. Luckily, I was driving MBs during those years, and I could control it completely from the front. With the X7, however, someone in the backseat must insert the dvd and turn on the screens. Which would be problematic for someone under 5 probably.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Are voice controls useable?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Are voice controls useable?
Do you mean in terms of controlling the rear seat entertainment, or just in general? Voice controls are pretty usable, to me. I’ve used it to do stuff it might take a minute to find, in the iDrive menus. That is very helpful.

In terms of using the voice commands to control the rear seat entertainment, it will only bring you to the iDrive menu, but will not turn them on directly. However, a trick I have discovered that WILL work to turn them on remotely, from the front, is if you navigate to the source you want to display in the back from the iDrive menu, and then in the right hand side there will be an option called “Share”. Then you can select to send the source to one or the other or both of the rear units, and when you do that, it will automatically turn them on! Then to turn them off remotely, simply go to the rear seat entertainment settings in the iDrive menu, and then select the “Disable rear-seat operation”, and that will shut them off!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
lasallen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
This is my 5th BMW with the factory entertainment system. We like it. I've listened to more movies than I've actually seen, but that is changing now since my twins are older. I was given the BMW wireless headphones with my last 7er. They work in the X7....most of the time. Not sure if it was the battery or the latest and greatest iDrive system. Now I just plug in a pair of Sony headphones (wired) and all is good.
We decided to include it in the build. I think it will work well for the kids. I am not real interested in carrying ipads and having wires hanging all over the place!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #22
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasallen View Post
We decided to include it in the build. I think it will work well for the kids. I am not real interested in carrying ipads and having wires hanging all over the place!
I think you will appreciate the elegance of the solution. It has a nice form factor to it, as well as function.
Appreciate 0