forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Help with tire pressures

12-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Frqnj
Rep
Drives: MB E43, BMW X7

Help with tire pressures

The recommended tire pressures on the idrive system and those listed on the door jam are extremely discordant and not to mention ever changing on the idrive system. BMW NA technical support couldn’t give me a good answer.
I have the 21” all season run flat option.
Door jam lists pressure as 32 psi front 38 rear
Idrive screen varies between 40-43 psi front 45-50 psi rear
What gives?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frqnj View Post
The recommended tire pressures on the idrive system and those listed on the door jam are extremely discordant and not to mention ever changing on the idrive system. BMW NA technical support couldn’t give me a good answer.
I have the 21” all season run flat option.
Door jam lists pressure as 32 psi front 38 rear
Idrive screen varies between 40-43 psi front 45-50 psi rear
What gives?
As long as the tire size and type is set appropriately in iDrive, the recommended tire pressures should be correct and take the current outdoor and current tire temperatures to make a recommendation based on the real-time conditions.

If you check the recommendation right after a cold start you should see it pretty close if not spot on the door tag, at least that's been my experience. I did have the tire size correct from factory but it was set to summer and I had to switch it to the winter / all season setting.

The dealerships seem to think the recommendation is black magic / technology stupidity, but it's been proven that it takes the pressure, outdoor temp, and tire air temp into account by a few forum members.

There actually is a way to code the tire pressure display to show both the pressure and temps, but from the factory the car still has that data and uses it even though it's not shown to the end user.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
As long as the tire size and type is set appropriately in iDrive, the recommended tire pressures should be correct and take the current outdoor and current tire temperatures to make a recommendation based on the real-time conditions.

If you check the recommendation right after a cold start you should see it pretty close if not spot on the door tag, at least that's been my experience. I did have the tire size correct from factory but it was set to summer and I had to switch it to the winter / all season setting.

The dealerships seem to think the recommendation is black magic / technology stupidity, but it's been proven that it takes the pressure, outdoor temp, and tire air temp into account by a few forum members.

There actually is a way to code the tire pressure display to show both the pressure and temps, but from the factory the car still has that data and uses it even though it's not shown to the end user.
I wouldn't do 50psi. You're going to be bouncing all over the road. I have always followed the guidelines on the door jamb.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

door jam

I have the same problem, 2 different dealership up here suggested the door jam instead of the computer.

so I've been running with the door jam, but I feel it's too low and I need more pressure. but until I get an air compressor, I'm kinda stuck.
Appreciate 0