E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I just crashed a private BMW NA Event!

05-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
jillian
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 325i

I just crashed a private BMW NA Event!

While driving to work this morning I spotted a conspicous sign at the entrance of Irvine Meadows Ampitheater in Orange County, CA. It simply had a big "3" and the word "believe". I had a suspicion that there was something going on that I needed to know about.

Sure enough on my way home this afternoon I drove through the parking lot and as I rounded the corner of the Ampitheater there were BMW flags, tents and a sea of orange cones!! And the fleet of grey BMW 06 3 series tearing through the courses!

I parked my car and walked toward the tents. I watched as the cars were put through their paces. A staff member spotted me and I admitted that I crashed the event. I was not hard to spot being the only female in the lot. Before I knew it my Long Beach BMW salesman was greeting me. He tried to pull some strings so I could drive but due to "insurance regulations" he was unsucessful.

They let me hang around and watch the action. Apparently this event was put on for the dealerships to educate the sales staff on the new 3 and drive the track.

I don't know if this will be going on tomorrow but if you live in the area go check it out! They were very gracious about letting me hang out and maybe someone out there could get the opportunity to drive the track.

The main tidbit that I heard from my salesman and the others was get the sport suspension! I'm glad that I did!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Woa interesting, I'm flying back to Irivne tonight, hopefully it is still on tomorrow. I gotta check this out. Maybe if I ask my dad's friend who's a fleet manager to pull some strings, I could try out the car on the track.

The sports suspension was the only one i test drove, and the one I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Very cool Jillian! Sounds a lot like the test drive event CaptJack posted about a while back where they had cones setup in a big parking lot. What colors were the cars? How'd they handle and how'd they sound? Way to go with your curiousity on this one
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
jillian
Rep

I had read about Capt Jack's experience and it was the same type of event except it was not open to the public. Maybe this weekend they will open it up for the public.

The cars were mainly grey although I did see an Artic and SG on display. I am guessing that this group of vehicles is touring around behind the 3 Across America event. The public gets 3 Across America and the dealers get to drive! I ordered the SG and was very happy with the color in person. The cars sounded great. I don't know how to explain the sound though, sorry!

The worst thing that could have happened was that they could kick me out, so I figured why not!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
AZBob
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda6

The worst thing that could have happened was that they could kick me out, so I figured why not!

You're my kind of girl Jillian!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
philicusfry
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

damn.. i was just by irvine ampitheater around lunch today.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
jmvzhp
Rep
Drives: 04' 330i ZHP 6spd

That was probablye the "Ride and Drive" event for the area BMW sales/service folks. I had the pleasure of attending the events for the new 5 and 6 series a few years back. Lots of fun, but they do require some class time too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The sales at irvine bimmer told me its an orientation for the sales and it will continue this whole week.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
jillian
Rep

Yes, I saw the signs up again today. If you're in the area, drive over and check it! Even if you can't drive the course you can go in and get a feel for what the cars can do on the track.
Appreciate 0