BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos "EV poverty & why we should be concerned"

02-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I'm not either, I park mine in a garage and use my seat heaters. It's a problem that doesn't' need solved for me. EV's aren't going to make my life better, and I don't need to pay more for stuff I don't need or want.

reduces cold idle time, that was your concern: cold idle time.

If you roll into your garage half full on a 75KW battery, and don't want to leave yourself stranded by running the car completely out of range, you will at best have a days worth of power if you intend to carry the whole house. If not, you may as well use a backup generator or buy a power wall battery. Neither of those will impact your ability to drive your car. It goes back to : just because it can do it doesn't make it a good idea. If everyone used this model of interconnected backflow via their EV into the grid to fill in small scale outages, thus draining their batteries, what is gong to happen when the power comes back?. If you had a 1000 EV's backfilling during the outage, when power comes back you will have 1000 EV's that all need charged at the same time. It will be nearly impossible for the power company to pick up and hold that load on top of all the other surge loads.

I work for a major utility, I've seen load pickup demand spikes. When 1000 refrigerators and freezers and furnace fans all kick on at the same time, it's ugly. Lets add 1000 EV battery loads to that.

And since a car is a closed OS, how could you stop an intrusion at home if you let it stay connected? At least with most desktop/server OS's, you have a pretty good amount of view/control of what it can and can't do with respect to who it talks to and why. Our connected cars? not so much. One might say block/firewall the MAC, but now it's not going to function as designed. Not so on un-connected cars that don't need access to function. If it roams or uses cellular whoe not at home, good luck blocking that. without killing off other processes that are now integral to the cars function.

We should ask ourselves, do we need any of this?
Even beyond what I can do with desktop/server OS's, I have the ability to insert controls such as what you've mentioned with a firewall. And as you've indicated, can't do that with a connected car. Even with devices where I can't have any type of control or visibility into what it's doing, I can segregate that device from the rest of my network.

An example of a device which I had to segregate on my home network are my DirecTV DVRs. I was having an issue concerning why my Xerox Phaser 8560 MFP printer was constantly waking up from sleep every 15 minutes. Every time the printer wakes up it heats up the solid ink sticks which creates a ton of waste; not to mention the solid ink sticks are stupid expensive. I threw a packet sniffer on the connection for my printer and found out my DirecTV DVR was snooping my network, found out my printer has a built in web server, and then proceeded to do HTTP GETs to it pulling info out of the printer's web server. This DVR has no reason to be snooping my network in that fashion nor any reason to be connecting to other devices. I shut that down quick by creating a specific VLAN for the DVR that blocks it from my entire network but only giving it Internet access so I can do On Demand videos. Now any IoT device I add to my network goes into either my DMZ or onto this dedicated/isolated VLAN.

Another thing about connected devices is many of them will not function at all if they don't have Internet access to connect to some cloud server. So you don't have a choice of cutting off access.

Another issue which hasn't been hashed out is how are security patches going to mandated? As far as I know, there hasn't been much of any emphasis on having any of these connectivity apps for cars go through red team/pen testing. And also how long will manufacturers voluntarily or by mandate perform security patches?
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17309.00
Tejas1836996.00
      02-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #46
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

"Another issue which hasn't been hashed out is how are security patches going to mandated? As far as I know, there hasn't been much of any emphasis on having any of these connectivity apps for cars go through red team/pen testing. And also how long will manufacturers voluntarily or by mandate perform security patches?"
Attached Images

Efthreeoh17309.00
jmack548.50
      02-23-2023, 02:20 PM   #47
2023G87M2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87

Fast charging and charging to 100% ABSOLUTELY.KILLS your battery life FAST. Ever since I started using USB c fast charger on my iPhone 12 pro, and charging to 100% fast, bam, not even a month later and battery life from 100% is down to 2 hours or 2.5 hours max down from like the 6-8 hours it was.

I imagine anyone using a supercharger ans charging beyond 80% is DESTROYING their battery shelf life and capacity VERY FAST. So Yea if you have electric, might as well charge slow and ONLY TO 80%
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:01 PM   #48
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023G87M2 View Post
Fast charging and charging to 100% ABSOLUTELY.KILLS your battery life FAST. Ever since I started using USB c fast charger on my iPhone 12 pro, and charging to 100% fast, bam, not even a month later and battery life from 100% is down to 2 hours or 2.5 hours max down from like the 6-8 hours it was.

I imagine anyone using a supercharger ans charging beyond 80% is DESTROYING their battery shelf life and capacity VERY FAST. So Yea if you have electric, might as well charge slow and ONLY TO 80%
No doubt a built in thing by the manufacturers to force people to buy a replacement sooner rather than later to pad their record profits
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #49
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
The promise of "convenience" will be the downfall of many of the freedoms we enjoy today. Personal transportation just being one of them.
The lazy keep getting lazier.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:23 PM   #50
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
No doubt a built in thing by the manufacturers to force people to buy a replacement sooner rather than later to pad their record profits
It will be like how Apple slowed down peoples I-phones in the name of better performance, leading to a slew up upgrades caused by this slow down. It was a perfect scam till it was caught.
Appreciate 3
Donatello.1083.50
Cos270608.50
      02-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #51
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Ration food.
Ration allowed flights per person.
Carbon cards per person.

Brilliant!

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...3.2166342?src=

We all know who wouldn't be monitored, don't we...
"They're all special cases" "What do Bombadiers have to do with you?"