BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Battery Tender and Battery Type?

10-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Tex_X7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i (Jon Snow)

Battery Tender and Battery Type?

Hey,

I work from home, so all of my cars end up needing to be on a battery tender. I know the small front battery is a Li-Ion, but does anyone know what the rear battery is?

My smart tender is hooked up to the "jump terminals" under the hood, and tries to recognize the battery type on it's own. It's recognizing it as AGM instead of Li-Ion. I forced the mode on it to Li-Ion, but I'm wondering if this will have any repercussions if the rear battery is in fact AGM...

You guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Hanz
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_X7 View Post
Hey,

I work from home, so all of my cars end up needing to be on a battery tender. I know the small front battery is a Li-Ion, but does anyone know what the rear battery is?

My smart tender is hooked up to the "jump terminals" under the hood, and tries to recognize the battery type on it's own. It's recognizing it as AGM instead of Li-Ion. I forced the mode on it to Li-Ion, but I'm wondering if this will have any repercussions if the rear battery is in fact AGM...

You guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Hanz
The agm does all the starting. The lithium ion battery is there for handling electric loads when the engine is turned off for stop / start. Eg the electric power steering etc.

I'd let the charger do it's thing and not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Tex_X7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i (Jon Snow)

That was my feeling as well. I let the charger go on AGM and it seemed to top it off without issue.

On it's own, this thing really struggles to keep the battery charged when you do mostly very short trips around town. I was really hoping the regenerative braking would pickup more slack. No big deal though and not out of line with every other vehicle I've owned.
Appreciate 1
Brukes90.00
      10-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_X7 View Post
That was my feeling as well. I let the charger go on AGM and it seemed to top it off without issue.

On it's own, this thing really struggles to keep the battery charged when you do mostly very short trips around town. I was really hoping the regenerative braking would pickup more slack. No big deal though and not out of line with every other vehicle I've owned.
The regenerative recharging, is really just running the alternator while coasting or decelerating. They often don't charge under acceleration to reduce load on alternator to save fuel. This is bad if it's used for short trips mostly. The good news is if you just park the vehicle it will shut stuff down to reduce drain on the battery so you can at least start it.
Appreciate 0