BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Keep 135is and Cayman?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1581
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I donít understand why folks throw in mods/tuning into car comparison discussions. My point was adding mods may help address things lacking about the car but saying a modded X is better than a stock Y is silly. Plus neither of these cars were intended for 1/4 mile performance. Sure a 135i with dp, tune, etc could blow the doors off a 718 but itíll never put down a faster lap time on a road course. But thatís ok because you also get something slightly more practical for much less cost.

IMHO the E82 135i was and still is the best ďmodernĒ Bimmer sports car that can Ēdo it allĒ without breaking the bank (e.g. fuel consumption, 9 quarts of 10w-60, rod bearings, etc.) For those complaining about old tech, simple answer is find a barebones model. Tech is great if youíre continuously leasing else youíre stuck with something archaic. When I uograded from my 3.0si to M roadster, I purposely looked for min options. The navi reminded me of my old 486DX computer.

The whole 911 owners looking down on a 718 is just weird. Maybe they need to justify their extra depreciation, but these cars are hardly entry level. Itís not like the brand is watered down same way BMW did by offering a 320i.

Both fine cars end of day but as I said before Iíd choose the 135i/s. Itís the prettiest ugly car Iíve owned (and this is coming from a former Z coupe owner!)
As pointed out, there is no right or best answer. The right answer is purely personal.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1691.00

      10-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1142
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: NSX/428/is250/Explorer
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Just picked this bad girl up last month and loving her so far....2014 981 Cayman S
You can get the last of the flat six version like I did with a 981.....test drive a PDK before writing it off. I know I am biased, but the cayman is on whole nother level from a 135

Appreciate 3
clee1982494.50
c1pher1580.50

      10-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #25
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1714
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
Lets just pretend money is not a factor at all for a moment -- do these two cars have too much overlap? Maybe the BMW would be a a little more comfortable for my commute to work 1 day a week?
Buy the Porsche and keep the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5610
Rep
13,495
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Nope. Even the old E30 sold over 5.7x more in the US than the E82. FWIW, that puts E82 sales at a little over twice the total E9X M3 sales, so, if we're talking just the 135i, it's probably in the same realm of total US sales as the E9X M3.

Total E30 Sales (US cars only)

1984: 44,433
1985: 53,905
1986: 61,822
1987: 58,896
1988: 38,346
1989: 32,153
1990: 29,583
1991: 29,002

total: 348,140


Total E82 Sales (US cars only)

2008: 12,018
2009: 11,182
2010: 13,132
2011: 8,832
2012: 7,689
2013: 7,220
2014: 75

total: 60,148


And just for fun:

Total Porsche 911 (997) US sales
2012: 8,528
2011: 6,016
2010: 5,737
2009: 6,839
2008: 8,324
2007: 12,493
2006: 12,045
2005: 10,107

total: 70,089
Dude, there was no "1er" in BMW's line up during the model years of the E30 from 1983 thru 1991 (US market). The E30 WAS BMW's "1er" relatively speaking because there was no model in BMWs' lineup below the E30, so your analogy makes zero sense. The E30 came in a 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door wagon, 2-door convertible, and the M3. During the E30 period, BMW produced a 3-series, 5-series, 6-series Coupe, 7-series, and the 8-series Coupe (at the very end).
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-10-2019 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #27
b92
Captain
b92's Avatar
United_States
340
Rep
849
Posts

Drives: E92 335is, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Just picked this bad girl up last month and loving her so far....2014 981 Cayman S
You can get the last of the flat six version like I did with a 981.....test drive a PDK before writing it off. I know I am biased, but the cayman is on whole nother level from a 135

Such a good looking car too
__________________
2011 E92 335is, Space Grey/Coral Red, 6MT.
Mod list for diagnostic purposes: JB4+MHD BEF, 17psi. BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Street FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DPs, secondary cat delete. NGK plugs gapped 0.022", Delphi S55 coils. 93 octane unless noted otherwise.
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX1141.50

      10-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #28
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
465
Rep
2,436
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, there was no "1er" in BMW's line up during the model years of the E30 from 1983 thru 1991 (US market). The E30 WAS BMW's "1er" relatively speaking because there was no model in BMWs' lineup below the E30, so your analogy makes zero sense. The E30 came in a 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door wagon, 2-door convertible, and the M3. In E30 period, BMW produced a 3-series, 5-series, 6-series Coupe, 7-series, and the 8-series Coupe (at the very end).

I believe the production numbers comparison is to show the potential future collectibility of 1 series models. Many E30s have been produced, and they have developed even more of a collectible/cult status as of late. With even fewer 1ers being produced, it's possible we may see a similar trend in the future.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5610
Rep
13,495
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I believe the production numbers comparison is to show the potential future collectibility of 1 series models. Many E30s have been produced, and they have developed even more of a collectible/cult status as of late. With even fewer 1ers being produced, it's possible we may see a similar trend in the future.
I owned a 1989 E30 325i for 18 years, bought new. The E30 is getting some collector status mainly because the first M3 was produced using the E30 platform. The M3 had 24 more HP and 4 pounds more torque than the M20B25. The M20, once BMW put the right cylinderhead on it, was an excellent example of a BMW 6. The US street version of the M3 was not much better of a drive than the E30 with a sport package. The M10 and M20 eta versions of the E30 were slow, under-powered cars and sold to a newly created YUPPIE Roundel-hound class who fell out of the 1980s Regan economy. The only decent E30 to buy are the 1988 325is versions, and the the following year 1989 E30 because BMW dropped the eta M20 and used just the M20B25. The 1990 E30 318 did get the M42, which was a modern 4-cylinder and vastly superior to the tractor-motor M10. Of course an E30 M3 is a collector car now, but a plain Jane M10 or eta powered E30 are better off left as parts cars.
Appreciate 1
clee1982494.50

      10-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #30
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
465
Rep
2,436
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I owned a 1989 E30 325i for 18 years, bought new. The E30 is getting some collector status mainly because the first M3 was produced using the E30 platform. The M3 had 24 more HP and 4 pounds more torque than the M20B25. The M20, once BMW put the right cylinderhead on it, was an excellent example of a BMW 6. The US street version of the M3 was not much better of a drive than the E30 with a sport package. The M10 and M20 eta versions of the E30 were slow, under-powered cars and sold to a newly created YUPPIE Roundel-hound class who fell out of the 1980s Regan economy. The only decent E30 to buy are the 1988 325is versions, and the the following year 1989 E30 because BMW dropped the eta M20 and used just the M20B25. The 1990 E30 318 did get the M42, which was a modern 4-cylinder and vastly superior to the tractor-motor M10. Of course an E30 M3 is a collector car now, but a plain Jane M10 or eta powered E30 are better off left as parts cars.

I currently own an '88 325is, and it is definitely a fun little car to get around in.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh5610.00

      10-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #31
mmmmQuattro
Major
mmmmQuattro's Avatar
Australia
186
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Just picked this bad girl up last month and loving her so far....2014 981 Cayman S
You can get the last of the flat six version like I did with a 981.....test drive a PDK before writing it off. I know I am biased, but the cayman is on whole nother level from a 135

[img]https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...76b77f30e3.jpg[/img]
looks great!

I really love the 981s in white.
went on a drive with some guys from the Porsche club and I spent most of my time behind a 981 exactly like yours.

they are so planted in the bends.
definitely a step up.from a 1 series

Did you keep the NSX as well in the end?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #32
hellrotm
Major General
2834
Rep
6,239
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Much rather have a clean 981 GTS over a 718.
Appreciate 1
jeff11318.00

      10-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #33
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
670
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, there was no "1er" in BMW's line up during the model years of the E30 from 1983 thru 1991 (US market). The E30 WAS BMW's "1er" relatively speaking because there was no model in BMWs' lineup below the E30, so your analogy makes zero sense. The E30 came in a 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door wagon, 2-door convertible, and the M3. During the E30 period, BMW produced a 3-series, 5-series, 6-series Coupe, 7-series, and the 8-series Coupe (at the very end).
The point was that the production numbers of the 1er were a fraction of the 3 series cars from any generation, including the E30, which bodes well for future collectibility, and the OP has a 135is, which is the rarest of the 1ers.

The odds of seeing a 1er in the wild are about the same as seeing a 911 from the same era, so not unusually rare, but not particularly common, either.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3059
Rep
8,111
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, there was no "1er" in BMW's line up during the model years of the E30 from 1983 thru 1991 (US market). The E30 WAS BMW's "1er" relatively speaking because there was no model in BMWs' lineup below the E30, so your analogy makes zero sense. The E30 came in a 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door wagon, 2-door convertible, and the M3. During the E30 period, BMW produced a 3-series, 5-series, 6-series Coupe, 7-series, and the 8-series Coupe (at the very end).
The point was that the production numbers of the 1er were a fraction of the 3 series cars from any generation, including the E30, which bodes well for future collectibility, and the OP has a 135is, which is the rarest of the 1ers.

The odds of seeing a 1er in the wild are about the same as seeing a 911 from the same era, so not unusually rare, but not particularly common, either.
Don't hold your breath. Look at Z8's and M Coupes if you want to see what sorts of numbers actually result in strong resale. The 1er is no where near those numbers and further, has the hugely unfortunate situation of having a wildly better and rarer model built on its basic chassis, the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
670
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Don't hold your breath. Look at Z8's and M Coupes if you want to see what sorts of numbers actually result in strong resale. The 1er is no where near those numbers and further, has the hugely unfortunate situation of having a wildly better and rarer model built on its basic chassis, the 1M.
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply the E82 was going to be the next Z8 or anything. I was responding to Gamb1t's earlier remark that the 1er will go the way of 3 series of old, while the Cayman will be more valuable. I'm not convinced that the Cayman will be considerably more valuable than the 135i down the road, especially compared to the 135is. The 1er is unique in that most enthusiasts think it's better than the 3er, yet it was built in considerably less numbers.

I don't think the 1M hurts the 135i's value as much as the M3 hurts the 335i, because the 1M production numbers are so low, and, without a real M engine, it isn't as "wildly" better compared to the 135i vs. the M3 and the 335i. Plus, BMW sold about as many 135i cars in the US as they did M3 cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #36
rainfall
First Lieutenant
125
Rep
372
Posts

Drives: A
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West coast

iTrader: (0)

if I had an 135is I wouldn't get the 718. I couldn't get to like the sound, even though I think with the PE sounds decent. The M2 sounds MUCH nicer, especially if you get one with the N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #37
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2149
Rep
1,342
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

the 718 is a total turd. an insult to the Cayman badge. AVOID. sounds like poo, and it's all gone electronic.

if you're gonna get a Cayman make sure it's a 6 and done right with a hydraulic steering. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

the 135is is a wonderful car. I think the E82 was the 'last hurrah' of BMW is making a classic coupe and the 135is was the last hurrah of the E82. Definitely a car worth keeping and i think one of the best modern BMWs around. The 135is, in particular, even though it was just a package was a really well thought out and enjoyable package.

I have driven so many Porsches and have never felt excited about them. There was a time i was almost forcing myself to buy one and i couldn't because i felt it was 'hype' over substance. They are very clinical and technical cars. If that gets you off---by all means go for it. I drive for enjoyment more than technical tidbits.

In the end, do what fascinates you and be fascinated by whatever you do.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 1
duder13670.00

      10-28-2019, 02:10 AM   #38
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
670
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
the 718 is a total turd. an insult to the Cayman badge. AVOID. sounds like poo, and it's all gone electronic.

if you're gonna get a Cayman make sure it's a 6 and done right with a hydraulic steering. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

the 135is is a wonderful car. I think the E82 was the 'last hurrah' of BMW is making a classic coupe and the 135is was the last hurrah of the E82. Definitely a car worth keeping and i think one of the best modern BMWs around. The 135is, in particular, even though it was just a package was a really well thought out and enjoyable package.

I have driven so many Porsches and have never felt excited about them. There was a time i was almost forcing myself to buy one and i couldn't because i felt it was 'hype' over substance. They are very clinical and technical cars. If that gets you off---by all means go for it. I drive for enjoyment more than technical tidbits.

In the end, do what fascinates you and be fascinated by whatever you do.
Yeah, if I was gonna spend $60k on a Cayman, it would be a 2012 Cayman R. It has an NA flat-six, hydraulic steering, and itís already collectible, if that matters.
Appreciate 2
10"2149.00
swunder266.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST