gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Loud crackling sound

So I’ve had my M50i for a month now. I got out today to check my mail and left the car running. I noticed a really loud “crackling” type sound. I proceeded to park in the garage and turned the car off. The crackling continued for a short time after. I haven’t noticed this before today and was alarmed by how loud it was. Just didn’t sound right. I have about 1200 miles on it now and never noticed. Anyone else have any similar experience or insight as to what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
So I’ve had my M50i for a month now. I got out today to check my mail and left the car running. I noticed a really loud “crackling” type sound. I proceeded to park in the garage and turned the car off. The crackling continued for a short time after. I haven’t noticed this before today and was alarmed by how loud it was. Just didn’t sound right. I have about 1200 miles on it now and never noticed. Anyone else have any similar experience or insight as to what it could be?
Is this the type of cracking you get from cooling of or heating up of catalytic converters?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Is this the type of cracking you get from cooling of or heating up of catalytic converters?
Not sure. But it’s similar to when you turn off the car and it does it for a short time. I’ve just never heard it while the car was running and it was loud. I had pushed the car a bit on the way home, so not sure if it’s related to that
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Not sure. But it’s similar to when you turn off the car and it does it for a short time. I’ve just never heard it while the car was running and it was loud. I had pushed the car a bit on the way home, so not sure if it’s related to that
The cracking when you turn off is typically related to cooling of some components, however I never heard this inside, only when walking outside, perhaps you should check with dealer if it is excessive
Appreciate 0