BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Thoughts on Sparebumper (or WeatherTech BumpStep)?

10-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Thoughts on Sparebumper (or WeatherTech BumpStep)?

Hello,

I order my new X7 40i with the trailer hitch because wife wanted to carry a few bikes in our future road trips. However, I just read that the trailer hitch might increase the possibility of whiplash in case of rear end accidents, although I'm not sure if it applies to the OEM trailer hitch since it's kinda hidden within the rear bumper.

So I started researching possible receiver hitch protecting gears, and found two: the sparebumper, and the bumpstep from WeatherTech. I'm wondering if anyone has used them before, and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Karrint
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is

I skipped the oem hitch and am putting in a stealth hitch. Will be completely hidden when not in use and it won't disable the kick to open feature in the trunk as the factory hitch will.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrint View Post
I skipped the oem hitch and am putting in a stealth hitch. Will be completely hidden when not in use and it won't disable the kick to open feature in the trunk as the factory hitch will.
I almost gave up on the OEM trailer hitch because of the fact it removes the kick-open feature, but wife said she doesn't care for that feature and would rather to have the trailer hitch...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Karrint
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpzlcc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrint View Post
I almost gave up on the OEM trailer hitch because of the fact it removes the kick-open feature, but wife said she doesn't care for that feature and would rather to have the trailer hitch...
Ah. I have it on my X3 and use it all the time—great when my hands are full of what I'm needing to put in the boot. So, for me it was a must have on my X7. This is the stealth:

https://stealthhitches.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

I wouldn't worry too much about the whiplash with a hitch. Not sure how much those bumpers would help either. Might even make things worse especially given they stick out some, so may cause more damage if the rear impact isn't that great. The bumper will take most of the impact on low speed hits, but if that thing is there then the impact may start with the hitch bumper, cascade to the hitch receiver, then to the frame where it's bolted before the car that rear ends you even touches the bumper.
Regardless of whoever rear ends you, they are not going to have a good day when that hitch bumper goes through their radiator and engine block.

It's really odd that BMW with all their engineers can't figure out how to make the kick to open feature work with the OEM hitch.

I opted for the OEM hitch because I have the kick to open feature on two of our cars (XC90 and X3), but have never really used it except for maybe a handful of times...pun intended.
Appreciate 0