11-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #23
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlittlejohnx View Post
I ordered an X7 as the family hauler and chose the individual piano black trim without considering how easy it might scratch. Any recommendations for the best way to protect and care for the trim from owners that have it? I will have three young kids in the car. Could paint protection film be applied without losing anything aesthetically? Thanks!
it's not easy. you might have to just suck it up for a few years and then replace it. it's cheap to pop it out and put new trim.
it's easy to DIY, but you can also pay a trim guy.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
Xlittlejohnx
Private
Rep
Drives: 1602 E39 M5 X7 M50i 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Disagree with above points. The bmw individual black piano that you can order on x5 and x7 and take an extra 4-6 weeks to get is crap, not real wood. It's not tulip wood, buffed and shined, or anything close to a Steinway. OP that's why it's scratched already upon delivery. I would never get this again,while it looks nice it only lasts a couple months until it is scratched to fuck.
Inquired with BMW about e material to ensure I properly care for it and it is indeed 100% Tulip wood
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Well, took delivery today and the center console already had scratches. They were very minor and the General Sales Manager said that is what I'm getting. Didn't want to consider fixing it and said BMW wouldn't replace it.

Scratches are minor, so I'm letting it go. Honestly, though, I'm completely blown by this.

The Apple key function doesn't work and the "genius" said I just have to wait a month or so until the system gets updated.
I would have told him what he's getting is stuck with a car I'm not accepting delivery of, and walked out! Brass balls to expect someone to accept a blemished brand new vehicle
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #26
Xlittlejohnx
Private
Rep
Drives: 1602 E39 M5 X7 M50i 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Quote:
Well, took delivery today and the center console already had scratches. They were very minor and the General Sales Manager said that is what I'm getting. Didn't want to consider fixing it and said BMW wouldn't replace it.

Scratches are minor, so I'm letting it go. Honestly, though, I'm completely blown by this.

The Apple key function doesn't work and the "genius" said I just have to wait a month or so until the system gets updated.
I would have told him what he's getting is stuck with a car I'm not accepting delivery of, and walked out! Brass balls to expect someone to accept a blemished brand new vehicle
I get it and decided to let it slide. They're hairline scratches that wouldn't be visible to post people. IMO, totally unacceptable on a $110K car. I just didn't want to take the time to fight it. The car is a lease and the amount of time it would take me to coordinate with the factory and dealer for replacing the trim just isn't worth it, unfortunately.

Years ago, I was in the sales manager's position. If a customer went to the point of complaining, I would have offered a solution. Would have bought a new trim piece if need be. I assume it was scratched by the dealer while prepping for delivery.

Now, the trim panel gaps on the front seat back will bother day and night as long as I own the vehicle. Unfortunately, they don't have problems due to the seat adjustment. They're just poorly fitted. Again, just glad I leased and trying to overcome my OCD when it comes to my fleet.

This X7 M50i is an absolute beast regardless of the initial gripes.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #27
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Disagree with above points. The bmw individual black piano that you can order on x5 and x7 and take an extra 4-6 weeks to get is crap, not real wood. It's not tulip wood, buffed and shined, or anything close to a Steinway. OP that's why it's scratched already upon delivery. I would never get this again,while it looks nice it only lasts a couple months until it is scratched to fuck.
Inquired with BMW about e material to ensure I properly care for it and it is indeed 100% Tulip wood
Good luck with the authentic tulip wood. Will be scratched to fuck in 6 months...Just sayin. Good call on leasing. Let it go and run the nuts off it. Cheers.
Appreciate 0